PDA

View Full Version : What happened to names???

BTH K10A
02-05-2011, 14:10
http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8028

It would be nice to have names in a fixed location in threads. Either in the signature or in the top right where the location is.

Beechwoods
02-05-2011, 14:26
Agreed Andy, that what should be happening. Anyone having fun with the 'Name' option should have their name in their Signature. Anyone not doing this is likely to be reminded if they post regularly enough!

I'm glad you're in favour of the policy, we do think it makes this place more like a real community :)

MartinT
02-05-2011, 14:48
Agreed, handles can be fun but I like to refer to someone by their name. We remain vigilant for members who have no obviously displayed names, politely asking them to do so.

BTH K10A
02-05-2011, 15:00
Ah, I see. I thought the name part was mandatory and the signature could be changed to remove a name.

"You may not want to have your name mentioned twice in every post, so you could also remove it from your signature if you want to. There’s a link to do this in the sidebar over to the left - Settings and Options – Edit Signature."

I'll join in the fun then

YNWaN
02-05-2011, 16:53
Ah, I see. I thought the name part was mandatory..

Yes, so did I. For my part, I'm not keen on names - for the most part they are just a bunch of letters that loads of people share - I mean, I'm named after one of the apostles so literally millions of people have the same name (assuming my sig has my real name in it).

Beechwoods
02-05-2011, 16:54
Mark is definitely easier to pronounce though!

YNWaN
02-05-2011, 17:46
Certainly easier to pronounce than my 'real' real name ;).

Not that anyone has to pronounce anything on a text based forum...

BTH K10A
02-05-2011, 17:59
If nom de plume's are acceptable how can I tell the real peaple from the fakes?

Beechwoods
02-05-2011, 18:05
How could we police it anyway?

BTH K10A
02-05-2011, 18:17
How could we police it anyway?

True, you can only rely on the honesty of members.

Alex_UK
02-05-2011, 19:02
Coming soon... "Please scan and post a copy of your Birth Certificate in your Gallery thread!" :eyebrows:

;)

Tim
02-05-2011, 19:04
Coming soon... "Please scan and post a copy of your Birth Certificate in your Gallery thread!" :eyebrows:

;)

:lolsign:

MartinT
02-05-2011, 19:14
After all, Obama had to ;)

Marco
02-05-2011, 20:12
Ah, I see. I thought the name part was mandatory and the signature could be changed to remove a name.

"You may not want to have your name mentioned twice in every post, so you could also remove it from your signature if you want to. There’s a link to do this in the sidebar over to the left - Settings and Options – Edit Signature."

I'll join in the fun then

Lol - I like it, but 'Andy' should still be added to your signature! ;)

Marco.

P.S Alex, love it! :lol:

Trickie_Dickie
04-05-2011, 05:43
O Romeo, Romeo! wherefore art thou Romeo
Deny thy father and refuse thy name;
Or, if thou wilt not, be but sworn my love,
And I'll no longer be a Capulet.

Romeo.
[Aside.] Shall I hear more, or shall I speak at this?

Juliet.
'Tis but thy name that is my enemy;--
Thou art thyself, though not a Montague.
What's Montague? It is nor hand, nor foot,
Nor arm, nor face, nor any other part
Belonging to a man. O, be some other name!
What's in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet;

William Shakespeare :cool:

Mike
04-05-2011, 07:33
Anyone having fun with the 'Name' option should have their name in their Signature. Anyone not doing this is likely to be reminded if they post regularly enough!

Is mine not obvious enough? :lol:

Beechwoods
04-05-2011, 07:35
It'll do Mr H!

Marco
04-05-2011, 14:26
Is mine not obvious enough? :lol:

Yesh, it's 'DAFTEE'! :eyebrows:

Marco.

The Vinyl Adventure
04-05-2011, 17:20
There is always the argument that people could use a false name... But if they do thy my response is always "well you have missed the point of the forum, and if that's the case you probably won't fit in anyway!"
I insist on real names, both first and last name on my forum ... Some people might be put off, but if they are then I don't want them there anyway... It's part of how the community "vibe" is achieved ... Like it, lump it, or don't join is my POV ... And thankfully, just like this place, thanks to the "Real Name" policy I have managed to achieve one of the most, if not the most friendly and welcoming photography forums!
All thanks to Mark Grant and his bright idea!

Marco
04-05-2011, 18:08
Nice one, Hamish - I think you've worked hard to make a success of your forum, so well done :)

You're right, regarding real names; I totally agree with what you've written. It's why we insist on it here, and no coincidence why AoS is also one of the friendliest hi-fi forums! ;)

Marco.

MCRU
04-05-2011, 20:37
Nice one, Hamish - I think you've worked hard to make a success of your forum, so well done :)

You're right, regarding real names; I totally agree with what you've written. It's why we insist on it here, and no coincidence why AoS is also one of the friendliest hi-fi forums! ;)

Marco.

really! :lol:

:king:

The Vinyl Adventure
04-05-2011, 21:03
You can shove that comment right up ya bum ;)