PDA

View Full Version : Silly Season Advice or Tweaks... (Pats of Daftness)

synsei
01-05-2011, 21:35
What is the daftest piece of HiFi advice or silliest tweak you've ever heard of?

I'm sure we've all been down this road at some point, so I thought I'd start a thread to test the water. It'll either fall flat on its extremely well damped face or we're in for a good giggle. I'll start the ball rolling...

I was once advised by a rather distinguished and erudite gentlemen dressed in a very fine suit and plying his trade in a hifi shop in Northampton, that I could improve the sound of my system by suspending my speaker cables off the floor from aluminium hangers screwed solidly onto an outside wall. What made this advice doubly funny was that my system was probably worth the best part of 50 quid at the time, and he tried to sell me some top of the range cables... :lolsign:

Thing Fish
01-05-2011, 21:44
I was once told that CD's were better than Vinyl and that they never skipped...:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Macca
01-05-2011, 22:15
The Peter Belt tweaks were pretty ridiculous - and been down that road before, I know but must say my favourite one is putting safety pins in the curtains. I'm open minded but, I mean, WTF??

Thing Fish
01-05-2011, 22:17
I used to love reading 'The Belt effect' the guy was way ahead of his time.

chris@panteg
02-05-2011, 00:35
Paul Benson of Hifi Review , was well into the Belt nonsense , colouring in the fuse ends with a felt tip pen was one such daft tweek :scratch:

alfie2902
02-05-2011, 01:48
If you're into your tweaks invite Zanash over http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10372
this was quite an eye opening experience & great fun!
http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10838
Not quite Peter Belt though but the blue light was pretty wierd!!

Macca
02-05-2011, 09:11
Some of the Jimmy Hughes tweaks are quite bizarre - DSJR might be able to add a few becasue I thnk he has mentioned knew/knows him. I've got an old 1990s copy of Choice or News somewhere where they do a feature on his system:

- speakers facing the wall so you see the back of the speaker when listening, cardboard 'cowls' over the drivers and a full range car speaker, not in a box, wired in series with the main speakers to fill in the midrange.

keiths
02-05-2011, 09:53
Probably the dealer who 'insisted' that I bought enough speaker cable to make both channels the same length because a 2m difference would result in me "hearing the sound from one speaker before the other"

DSJR
02-05-2011, 10:12
The thing is, in Jimmy's system and home, these things really DID make a perceived difference - too many things tried out on me to catalogue, but at my home, no difference at all and, at the end, I was getting a better sound than he in any case...

The green pen around CD edges is still highly ridiculed in some quarters, but I thought I could hear a consistent improvement, albeit subtle, and I wasn't alone. It does get silly when you feel you can hear a difference with a green pen around the edge of an LP.........

YNWaN
02-05-2011, 10:17
Jimmy Hughes was a big proponent of Peter Belt's. Peter Belt is still selling his magic creams and stick on dots - you can Google his website. Essentially, its all about the idea that if you believe a change for the better has been made then you are likely to hear as much - the cream and dots help you to believe that this change has taken place - a modern day mystical ritual.

In my experience, the biggest proponents of 'bull-shit' ideas were company reps. The best I heard recently was that a certain brand of mains block was shaped sorta like a guitar "because of resonance and stuff" (talk about leaps of association - presumably, if said extension block had been oval he would have compared it to a lute, despite the only shared physical attribute being a vague similarity in outline!).

I also remember being told in great detail (by the rep) how a particular brand of equipment 'footer' had the capacity to absorb radiated RFI and remove it from the system (by a method of physics not yet discovered presumably).

And then there is the one about record mats removing record warps (magical forces suck the warps out presumably).....

Oh, I nearly forgot those genius graphs that some cable manufacturers are so fond of - the ones that have axis called things like 'enjoyment factor' - my favourites I think :).

synsei
02-05-2011, 11:40
The thing is, in Jimmy's system and home, these things really DID make a perceived difference - too many things tried out on me to catalogue, but at my home, no difference at all and, at the end, I was getting a better sound than he in any case...

The green pen around CD edges is still highly ridiculed in some quarters, but I thought I could hear a consistent improvement, albeit subtle, and I wasn't alone. It does get silly when you feel you can hear a difference with a green pen around the edge of an LP.........

Interesting that you should mention that Dave, I've used a black permanent marker on the edge of my CD's for years to great effect. I'm so used to the increase in definition this tweak produces that I can tell instantly when a CD that hasn't been marked is played on my system.

Alex_UK
02-05-2011, 17:30
Just bought a box of 10 permanent green markers from eBay... :) At least the theory is plausible (the green edge absorbs any stray red light from the laser I believe, rather than the silver edge reflecting it back.) I thought the house brick on an amp was codswallop until I thought about it, I guess the mass *could* help damp the amp and reduce resonances. The Belt ones do take a leap of faith though...

Barry
02-05-2011, 20:21
Just bought a box of 10 permanent green markers from eBay... :) At least the theory is plausible (the green edge absorbs any stray red light from the laser I believe, rather than the silver edge reflecting it back.) I thought the house brick on an amp was codswallop until I thought about it, I guess the mass *could* help damp the amp and reduce resonances. The Belt ones do take a leap of faith though...

I found the biggest difference to the sound was achieved when the brick was placed on the headshell of the pick-up arm! Especially those 'bricks' made of transformer steel - the absorption of stray magnetic fields from the magnet in the cartridge effected the sound greatly. ;)

hifi_dave
02-05-2011, 20:39

I use the green pen on all new CD's. I like to play them first and then use the pen to gauge the difference. I find that it takes off hardness and splashiness making for a more open, relaxed presentation.

Alex_UK
02-05-2011, 21:12
I use the green pen on all new CD's. I like to play them first and then use the pen to gauge the difference. I find that it takes off hardness and splashiness making for a more open, relaxed presentation.

I didn't want to mention it before Dave did, but knew from when DSJR and I went over that he is a proponent of the green pen, and I'm 100% confident that hifi_dave is not a "foo monger" - this tweak has got to be worth giving a go. :)

Tim
02-05-2011, 21:20
I bought into the green pen thing years ago, but must admit I haven't done it for sometime now.... many of my classical CD's are green ringed! Must have another go I reckon ;)

I bought some fancy pen at the Hi-Fi Show in Bristol, can you use any green pen then?

Alex_UK
02-05-2011, 21:40
I believe so, Tim - though I'm sure you can pay ten times the normal price for an Audiofool one! :lol:

As I mentioned earlier (and no one has argued so far) - all the green pen does is absorb any stray red light from the laser, so no "magic" to it really, as far as I know anyway... May just be as effective to colour your willy with green pen for all I know, but then my wife really would know I've gone mad! (Or got gangrene! :lol:)

chris@panteg
02-05-2011, 21:54
I bought into the green pen thing years ago, but must admit I haven't done it for sometime now.... many of my classical CD's are green ringed! Must have another go I reckon ;)

I bought some fancy pen at the Hi-Fi Show in Bristol, can you use any green pen then?

Afraid not:nono: , the ink needs to be 99.9% high purity , also look for a pen made from pure solid silver :eyebrows:

Marco
02-05-2011, 22:30
May just be as effective to colour your willy with green pen for all I know, but then my wife really would know I've gone mad! (Or got gangrene! :lol:)

That's if she ever sees it these days!! :lolsign:

Marco.

Alex_UK
02-05-2011, 22:40
More to the point, if I can see it these days! :D

Barry
02-05-2011, 22:44
More to the point, if I can see it these days! :D

Take that house brick off your amp Alex and tie it on your willy. After a couple of weeks I'm sure you'll start to see it!

Regards

Alex_UK
02-05-2011, 22:46
Take that house brick off your amp Alex and tie it on your willy. After a couple of weeks I'm sure you'll start to see it!

Regards

After nearly 2 years on this forum, finally some really useful advice! ;) :lol:

The Grand Wazoo
02-05-2011, 23:04
I found the biggest difference to the sound was achieved when the brick was placed on the headshell of the pick-up arm! Especially those 'bricks' made of transformer steel - the absorption of stray magnetic fields from the magnet in the cartridge effected the sound greatly. ;)

Actually Barry what you have said may be slightly misleading to the uninitiated.
You should also have mentioned that the brick works best if there is a lead weight bolted to it. Of course this little tweak is to ensure that you make the very most of the available compliance from your cantilever - we all know they work best when the suspension has reached equilibrium with the horizon. A gentle lowering of the opposing mass applied at the counterweight is, of course, something that should only be applied by those of us with the most discerning of ears, able to discern the finest, filigree adjustments. It's at this stage that the elite amongst us are able to detect whether the bassist adjusted the gain control on his amp before he plugged in, or after.

Barry
02-05-2011, 23:14
Actually Barry what you have said may be slightly misleading to the uninitiated.
You should also have mentioned that the brick works best if there is a lead weight bolted to it. Of course this little tweak is to ensure that you make the very most of the available compliance from your cantilever - we all know they work best when the suspension has reached equilibrium with the horizon. A gentle lowering of the opposing mass applied at the counterweight is, of course, something that should only be applied by those of us with the most discerning of ears, able to discern the finest, filigree adjustments. It's at this stage that the elite amongst us are able to detect whether the bassist adjusted the gain control on his amp before he plugged in, or after.

Thanks Chris,

I should have made myself clearer. I should have also mentioned that such audible changes seem to be permanent. All records played post-weight retain the same sonic changes they displayed when played under enhanced headshell inertia.

Who the hell is Rose Hill?

hifi_dave
02-05-2011, 23:16

There was/is a'proper' green pen but it was something like £20 and so messy that I gave up. The Staedtler Lumocolor dark green is just as effective and costs around 2 quid.

Marco
02-05-2011, 23:23

Well I guess that's one way to make your meat 'go further'! :lol:

Marco.

The Grand Wazoo
02-05-2011, 23:24
Well I guess that's one way to make your meat 'go further'! :lol:

Marco.

That sort of advice went out of date when the ration book was abolished.

Marco
02-05-2011, 23:29
:lolsign:

Re: green pens.... It undoubtedly works, but I'm afraid that I lost the notion to do this years ago, at the end of long suffering from audio neurosis.

Nowadays, I simply buy CDs and play them.

Marco.

Alex_UK
03-05-2011, 07:32
One I hadn't heard before from DSJR - Naim (I think it was?) suggesting you had to "massage" your cables...? :scratch:

Tim
03-05-2011, 09:43
There was/is a'proper' green pen but it was something like £20 and so messy that I gave up. The Staedtler Lumocolor dark green is just as effective and costs around 2 quid.
Thanks Dave, I shall give it a go with that pen - however, I don't think I'm going to do 2,000 CD's and re-rip them though :scratch:

prestonchipfryer
03-05-2011, 10:27
The green pen, let me see, ah yes! Twenty-five years or so ago when it first stormed the audiophile market; you applied the green ink from the pen to the edge of a CD disc and also to the inner spindle part. This stopped stray light from the laser interrupting the natural flow of laser beam to the CD which was playing. The trouble was in order to get the full effect, during the day green glass in your windows, and at night green lightbulbs. This was to stop any kind of white light entering the CD player and ruining the effect of the green ink you had spent days and days applying to your CDs. Hope this is of use to anyone contemplating what to do if they feel really, really bored.

John

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

hifi_dave
03-05-2011, 11:15
Any sensible CD player is quite well shielded against light entry.

Alex_UK
03-05-2011, 11:26
The green pen, let me see, ah yes! Twenty-five years or so ago when it first stormed the audiophile market; you applied the green ink from the pen to the edge of a CD disc and also to the inner spindle part. This stopped stray light from the laser interrupting the natural flow of laser beam to the CD which was playing. The trouble was in order to get the full effect, during the day green glass in your windows, and at night green lightbulbs. This was to stop any kind of white light entering the CD player and ruining the effect of the green ink you had spent days and days applying to your CDs. Hope this is of use to anyone contemplating what to do if they feel really, really bored.

John

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Well, for two quid it has to be worth a go... In fact, if you want to try it John I'll send you one FOC when they arrive as I bought a pack of 10... ;)

I suppose the only downside is that it might ruin the second hand value of your CDs? I don't think I will be doing it to any of my ultra-rare ones. Didn't there used to be someone who sold a green "band" that you could apply round the outside, or did I imagine that? :scratch:

prestonchipfryer
03-05-2011, 13:05
Yes I would like to try one. I will probably keep all my cd's anyway. There was a sort of damping ring you could stick on the CD, round the circumference I seem to recall. And yes I did try it out (didn't work) in fact it was impossible to get it to sit properly on the disc.

John

Alex_UK
03-05-2011, 13:28
Yes I would like to try one. I will probably keep all my cd's anyway. There was a sort of damping ring you could stick on the CD, round the circumference I seem to recall. And yes I did try it out (didn't work) in fact it was impossible to get it to sit properly on the disc.

John

No probs John - got your PM - I'll post one off to you as I receive them.

prestonchipfryer
03-05-2011, 13:48
Thanks. :)

Tim
03-05-2011, 14:09
Didn't there used to be someone who sold a green "band" that you could apply round the outside, or did I imagine that? :scratch:
Yep there was a rubber ring with adhesive on the back - I still have a classical CD somewhere with it stuck on. I couldn't tell the difference :scratch:

keiths
03-05-2011, 14:22
Well, for two quid it has to be worth a go... In fact, if you want to try it John I'll send you one FOC when they arrive as I bought a pack of 10... ;)

The original AudioPrism CD Stop Light pen was water-based. Are the ones you're getting water-based too? I don't think I'd risk using solvent-based ones on my cds. I notice the copyright date on the label on the CD Stop Light pen I still have here is 1990, so this tweak is now 21 years old :)

I suppose the only downside is that it might ruin the second hand value of your CDs? I don't think I will be doing it to any of my ultra-rare ones.

I've sold a few cds that had the AudioPrism pen applied to them. I always let the buyer know this in the listing. It never has seemed to effect their value.

Didn't there used to be someone who sold a green "band" that you could apply round the outside, or did I imagine that? :scratch:

No - I remember getting one (or more) of those free with a hi-fi mag sometime in the 90s. Never worked properly - only seemed to unbalance the CD and make the cd player sound noisy.

There were also these red/brown rings to stick on your CDs to increase the peripheral mass (presumably). I think Monster made these.

http://www.simister.com/public/cdband.jpg

They too had the same detrimental effect as the green rings, but the difference with these is you can't get them off.:doh:

Then there were/are things to spray on your discs. This Finyl stuff was raved over by Ken Kessler back in the day. You were supposed to apply this to the edges of the discs too (like the Stop Light). Never heard a difference myself.

http://www.simister.com/public/finyl.jpg

And then I went through a phase of spraying the backs of discs with this stuff

http://www.simister.com/public/eco3.jpg

which reduced static. This did seem to make a bit of a difference.

Then I got a high-tech carbon fibre and kevlar disc called the "ABCDE - A better Compact Disc Enhancer" that you put on top of the cd in the tray. This was supposed to damp resonances in the cd. You were supposed to stick a little self-adhesive plastic washer around the centre hole of the CD to centre the ABCDE, but if you did, you could only ever play the CD if you used the ABCDE. Also you risked damage if you tried to remove the washer later. Never noticed any difference (there's a tend developing here)...

Then I bought a thin plastic disc from Ring Mat that was also supposed to have magical properties. Guess what? :doh:

Alex_UK
03-05-2011, 14:58
The original AudioPrism CD Stop Light pen was water-based. Are the ones you're getting water-based too? I don't think I'd risk using solvent-based ones on my cds.

Didn't think about that... That said, I always use a solvent based marker to write on CDR's and have never had a problem... (Famous last words!)

To be honest, I'm only doing it as an experiment, not expecting to do the whole 3,000... I've got a dozen or so duplicate CDs that I keep in the car, and my intention is to give some of those a go, so I can compare treated/untreated back and forth, and see how much (if any) difference it makes, so I'm not too concerned anyway. If it makes a massive difference I will "invest" in a water based one! ;)

prestonchipfryer
03-05-2011, 15:02
This was bought about four years ago, cost £130. Perhaps less digital glare but really not worth it.

http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx309/prestonchipfryer/stable1.jpg

http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx309/prestonchipfryer/stable.jpg

Alex_UK
03-05-2011, 15:11
Not sure what to make of this...

Synergistic Research - Acoustic ART (Analogue Room Treatment) (http://www.synergisticresearch.com/featured/acoustic-art-analogue-room-treatment/)

(Review here... (http://www.avguide.com/blog/three-unusually-effective-new-tweaks-hi-fi-systems) - the image above is from the review.)

http://jlvalin.zenfolio.com/img/s9/v14/p753854262-3.jpg

The sceptic in me says "bunkum" but then I guess there could be something behind it... $3,000 to find out though, so not one I'll be trying...

Barry
03-05-2011, 15:39
Not sure what to make of this...

Synergistic Research - Acoustic ART (Analogue Room Treatment) (http://www.synergisticresearch.com/featured/acoustic-art-analogue-room-treatment/)

(Review here... (http://www.avguide.com/blog/three-unusually-effective-new-tweaks-hi-fi-systems) - the image above is from the review.)

The sceptic in me says "bunkum" but then I guess there could be something behind it... $3,000 to find out though, so not one I'll be trying...

Smacks of 'Beltism' to me, but might work if placed on a 'lay line'.

hifi_dave
03-05-2011, 16:43
I've tried some of these things and similar gizmos, as one of my customers enjoyed playing around. Some cost over £1k but he thought it fun.

At best, some (some) of these things made a 'difference' to the sound not an improvement or a downgrade but a 'difference'. We tried several of them many times and each time could hear a 'difference' that was hard to describe.

Would I pay out for these things - NO.

IMO the green pen is a no-brainer and for 2 quid or so is not exactly going to break the bank. I've been using it for long before the 'official' pen came out, as a Japanese friend suggested I try. The official one, being water based, made a huge mess but the solvent based one is hassle free and I've never found any downsides.

The circumferential ring (black) has a similar effect to the green pen and I have a few fitted but it doesn't work in all players as it can foul the mechanism.

zanash
03-05-2011, 17:26

try the posca pen by uni ...this is a paint pen

you need to choose which green ...I prefer the lighter one .

as alfie alluded to ...anyone up for the foo challenge ?

Marco
03-05-2011, 17:39
Smacks of 'Beltism' to me, but might work if placed on a 'lay line'.

I'm rather sure I'd enjoy the effect of 'A' placed squarely up my rectum.

Marco.

Barry
03-05-2011, 17:43

Marco.

Marco, your sexual caprices know no bounds! :eyebrows:

Regards

Marco
03-05-2011, 17:50
As they say in French, Barry: la diversité est le sel de la vie ;)

Marco.

Tim
03-05-2011, 18:17

Marco.
Ooo yeah, the top of A looks like my love beads, I sure love my love beads :eyebrows:

Alex_UK
03-05-2011, 19:18
If you stick D & E on your testicles you end up with a "fanny magnet"

Tim
03-05-2011, 19:27
If you stick D & E on your testicles you end up with a "fanny magnet"
Thanks for the tip Alex, but I'm one big fanny magnet :lolsign:

Welder
03-05-2011, 19:43
Wondering if I paint the zeros and ones with one of these pens it will sound any different. :scratch:

synsei
03-05-2011, 19:46
I'll look forward to a full review of the results in about fifty years then... :lolsign:

zanash
04-05-2011, 07:18
can't think why so few of you want to take up my foo challenge ....you all seem to have so much to say on the subject ...

perhaps its a bit different when it gets down to actual experience !

[this is said in a humours fashion with tounge firmly appllied to cheek]

prestonchipfryer
10-05-2011, 13:21
No probs John - got your PM - I'll post one off to you as I receive them.

Pen arrived today, will 'paint' the edges and spindle hole of some CDs and have a listen. I have several copies of some CDs and will be able to hear if there is any difference.

Regards :)

Alex_UK
10-05-2011, 13:25
Nice one John - I haven't tried yet either - good reminder... :)

Stratmangler
10-05-2011, 14:08
Pen arrived today, will 'paint' the edges and spindle hole of some CDs and have a listen. I have several copies of some CDs and will be able to hear if there is any difference.

Regards :)

It might be a better idea if you were to copy a CD using EAC and then burn off two copies, applying the edging to just one.

That way you know that the source/mastering is identical.
You should have also eliminated any manufacturing variations from disc to disc too.

On top of that, you haven't put a mark on the original CD.

Just a thought .........

Alex_UK
10-05-2011, 14:11
First of all, John - be careful with that pen... the ink seems to take an age to dry and is still tacky and leaving residue on my fingers after over 30 minutes left drying... :doh:

Alex_UK
10-05-2011, 14:12
If anyone else wants green fingers PM me your address and I'll send you a pen FOC!

Alex_UK
10-05-2011, 15:55
OK, I've given up with the pens I ordered, the ink just doesn't dry... :steam: I don't like the idea of a CD with wet ink spinning in my CD player so I've ordered the ones hifi_dave recommends (Staedtler Lumocolor) and I'll try again with one of those...

hifi_dave
10-05-2011, 16:47
Definitely. I gave up with the 'official' pen after one disc. Somehow I managed to get ink on the top of the disc, my fingers, trousers and on the carpet..:eek:

I started, many years ago, with the Staedtler and that appears to do just as good a job as the expensive, messy job, at a fraction of the price and it's dry in seconds.

Reid Malenfant
10-05-2011, 16:56
Isn't this the same idea behind a certain Krell CD player that bathed the CD with green light from a row of LEDs each side of the CD :scratch:

Alex_UK
10-05-2011, 17:05
Isn't this the same idea behind a certain Krell CD player that bathed the CD with green light from a row of LEDs each side of the CD :scratch:

I guess so Mark - I believe the green absorbs stray red light from the laser. Well that's the theory...

hifi_dave
10-05-2011, 18:47

Similar but saving you £12K..:rolleyes:

Reid Malenfant
10-05-2011, 19:08
Nah, a bunch of LEDs £2, a resistor a couple of pence :) If i could be bothered to take my Krell transport apart i'd do it myself ;)

I must admit i did try lining the outer edge of a CD with a pen years ago. I'm not sure if my equipment was up to showing any kind of difference but i think i did detect a slight difference :scratch:

I might have to investigate this further now i have vastly better kit :eyebrows:

John
11-05-2011, 04:14
The worst bit of advise I got was after hearing somr Avalon speakers. On the whole they were pretty nice but with my heavier taste in music just did not have the balance right.
The guy suggested that buying these speakers will change my music taste, needles to say I did not follow this route

Stratmangler
11-05-2011, 11:16
The worst bit of advise I got was after hearing somr Avalon speakers. On the whole they were pretty nice but with my heavier taste in music just did not have the balance right.
The guy suggested that buying these speakers will change my music taste, needles to say I did not follow this route

Glad to hear it John.
The gear is a servant to the music, and should never dictate what you choose to play on it.

I've always worked from a music first perspective.
Now some of the music I listen to is widely regarded for being well recorded and produced, and might even be though of as being Audiophile standard, but I have it because I like the music - the Audiophile bit is an irrelevence to me.

prestonchipfryer
26-05-2011, 15:12
Nice one John - I haven't tried yet either - good reminder... :)

Alex have sent for some of these. I will send one to you to try. PM me.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360361181140&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

John

idc
19-06-2011, 19:49
This may have come from Peter Belt originally, but someone I know who has built his own speakers and a valve amp advised me to tie all cables into a lose reef knot with the loops showing. I still have one of my cables like that as it looks neater.

It made no difference to the sound.

nat8808
28-06-2011, 10:39
Some of the Jimmy Hughes tweaks are quite bizarre - DSJR might be able to add a few becasue I thnk he has mentioned knew/knows him. I've got an old 1990s copy of Choice or News somewhere where they do a feature on his system:

- speakers facing the wall so you see the back of the speaker when listening, cardboard 'cowls' over the drivers and a full range car speaker, not in a box, wired in series with the main speakers to fill in the midrange.

I'd like to find that - does it have photos? Do you remember which month? Hifi Choice had some good articles on people's systems in the 90s. Will have to start buying some old copies (shame the rest of the mag is a bit mid-fi to make a good read now).

To be fair to Jimmy Hughes, the speaker direction was apparently to do with his flat with large glass windows behind the speakers (think he still lives there). If memory serves correctly, Howard (StereoNow) has mentioned it before having visited him back in the day.

Macca
28-06-2011, 12:28
I'd like to find that - does it have photos? Do you remember which month? Hifi Choice had some good articles on people's systems in the 90s. Will have to start buying some old copies (shame the rest of the mag is a bit mid-fi to make a good read now).

To be fair to Jimmy Hughes, the speaker direction was apparently to do with his flat with large glass windows behind the speakers (think he still lives there). If memory serves correctly, Howard (StereoNow) has mentioned it before having visited him back in the day.

Hi Nat

I'll dig it out and let you know - I'm pretty sure it was Hi-Fi choice but I've no idea what year it was let alone what month! - I'm guessing from around 1993/94 but I could be way out. There are a couple of photos IIRC.

Puffin
28-06-2011, 15:29
Buckets of water in the room and sheets of paper under each leg of the chair on which you sit!:eyebrows: (P Belt)

Mr J Hughes suggested that you align the plug cover screws vertically as this was beneficial to SQ..:scratch:

Alex_UK
28-06-2011, 15:33
Mr J Hughes suggested that you align the plug cover screws vertically as this was beneficial to SQ..:scratch:

I've always done mine horizontally, purely for aesthetic reasons, now I'm wondering if that is screwing up (sorry!) the sound? :scratch: This also applies to wall sockets and light switches. I'm wondering if I'll get better quality light if I change to vertical alignment...

Puffin
28-06-2011, 17:11
Do it!!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

May Belt
31-07-2011, 10:46
I've always done mine horizontally, purely for aesthetic reasons, now I'm wondering if that is screwing up (sorry!) the sound? :scratch: This also applies to wall sockets and light switches. I'm wondering if I'll get better quality light if I change to vertical alignment...

Alex, you are correct in what you have been doing all along – i.e lining the slots of screws horizontally (parallel with the earth’s surface), so don’t change over to making the screw slots vertical.

Regards,
May Belt.

Marco
31-07-2011, 10:50
:lol:

Aye, very good, "May"! :eyebrows:

Marco.

May Belt
03-08-2011, 16:03
:lol:

Aye, very good, "May"! :eyebrows:

Marco.

Hello Marco,

I am a new member and I am unsure what description I should give myself.

I have looked at how other people describe themselves and I see you have referred to me as a “Junior Member” but would it be better if I was described as a “Senior member of the Hi Fi industry” which will put me both in the appropriate ‘age category’ and ‘professional experience in Hi Fi category’ ?.

The Internet Hi Fi sites I have posted fairly regularly on are Audio Asylum and Stereophile Forums and I have always posted under their specific “Guidelines for Manufacturers”. i.e :-

1) Manufacturers are allowed to answer specific questions regarding their products.
2) Manufacturers are allowed to correct any inaccuracies.
3) Manufacturers are allowed to participate in discussions of a General nature.
4) Manufacturers are NOT allowed to use the Forum to publicise their products.

Please advise how I should proceed.

Regards,
May Belt.

magiccarpetride
03-08-2011, 16:49
What is the daftest piece of HiFi advice or silliest tweak you've ever heard of?

I'm sure we've all been down this road at some point, so I thought I'd start a thread to test the water. It'll either fall flat on its extremely well damped face or we're in for a good giggle. I'll start the ball rolling...

I was once advised by a rather distinguished and erudite gentlemen dressed in a very fine suit and plying his trade in a hifi shop in Northampton, that I could improve the sound of my system by suspending my speaker cables off the floor from aluminium hangers screwed solidly onto an outside wall. What made this advice doubly funny was that my system was probably worth the best part of 50 quid at the time, and he tried to sell me some top of the range cables... :lolsign:

Placing a penny on top of the speaker.

Beechwoods
03-08-2011, 21:29
Hello Marco,

I am a new member and I am unsure what description I should give myself.

I have looked at how other people describe themselves and I see you have referred to me as a “Junior Member” but would it be better if I was described as a “Senior member of the Hi Fi industry” which will put me both in the appropriate ‘age category’ and ‘professional experience in Hi Fi category’ ?.

The Internet Hi Fi sites I have posted fairly regularly on are Audio Asylum and Stereophile Forums and I have always posted under their specific “Guidelines for Manufacturers”. i.e :-

1) Manufacturers are allowed to answer specific questions regarding their products.
2) Manufacturers are allowed to correct any inaccuracies.
3) Manufacturers are allowed to participate in discussions of a General nature.
4) Manufacturers are NOT allowed to use the Forum to publicise their products.

Please advise how I should proceed.

Regards,
May Belt.

Hi May, and welcome to Art of Sound.

Marco's 'tied up' at the moment but I'm happy to set you up with a Trade account.

You're welcome to get involved in any part of the forum, but any Trade specific promotions or publicity should be confined to the Trade Impressions forum. We're chilled out about Trade members publicising their products as long as these posts go in there :)

All the best!

The Grand Wazoo
03-08-2011, 21:39
Hello May,
A formal introduction in the Welcome section might be advised too!

Alex_UK
03-08-2011, 21:41
I have looked at how other people describe themselves and I see you have referred to me as a “Junior Member” but would it be better if I was described as a “Senior member of the Hi Fi industry” which will put me both in the appropriate ‘age category’ and ‘professional experience in Hi Fi category’ ?

Hi May - welcome from me too.

Just to explain, all new members are automatically "Junior Members" and that changes to "Member" after a number of posts, and eventually to "Senior Member" at 100 posts I believe. The "custom" names that some of us have are usually at the request of the member, and usually if you've around the forum for a while.

Hope that explains it - but it is all superseded by you being a trade member anyway! ;)

May Belt
04-08-2011, 06:08
Hi May - welcome from me too.

Just to explain, all new members are automatically "Junior Members" and that changes to "Member" after a number of posts, and eventually to "Senior Member" at 100 posts I believe. The "custom" names that some of us have are usually at the request of the member, and usually if you've around the forum for a while.

Hope that explains it - but it is all superseded by you being a trade member anyway! ;)

Thank you, everyone, for the warm welcome.

Thank you for the welcome and for the explanation, Alex. I was not expecting or asking for a position of seniority in the group. It is just that with my advancing age it seemed somewhat illogical for me being called a ‘junior member’ !!

Regards,
May Belt.

sq225917
04-08-2011, 21:29
May, if you could indulge me with your experience. I find myself in the unfortunate position that all the 13 amps mains plugs in my hifi have been irresponsibly supplied by the manufacturer with Phillips head screws, not just the screw that keeps the plug body together but the ones that retain the cable as well.

What should I do, how shall I align them for best possible sound?

synsei
04-08-2011, 21:32
I find myself in exactly the same position, I am distraught :eyebrows:

Welder
04-08-2011, 21:43
Seriously guys a bit of out of the box thinking required here.
You take the plugs off and stick the bare wires in the socket :eek:
Not only does it solve the problem but also saves you a fortune on after market silver plated, £25 audiphile fuse, MK replica plugs. Simples ;)

Barry
04-08-2011, 21:47
May, if you could indulge me with your experience. I find myself in the unfortunate position that all the 13 amps mains plugs in my hifi have been irresponsibly supplied by the manufacturer with Phillips head screws, not just the screw that keeps the plug body together but the ones that retain the cable as well.

What should I do, how shall I align them for best possible sound?

Oh that's easy!

The 'cross' of the Phillips head screws should be aligned so one arm is horizontal, following the earth (and ideally parallel to a 'lay line'), with the vertical part pointing towards the zenith (preferably directed at the constellation of Orion).

Simples!

synsei
04-08-2011, 23:33
Phew, thanks Barry you saved me from having a psychotic episode :youtheman:

I'm wondering if the composition of the screws might make a difference as well as the depth and angle of the slot cuts? :scratch:

prestonchipfryer
05-08-2011, 06:30
Oh that's easy!

The 'cross' of the Phillips head screws should be aligned so one arm is horizontal, following the earth (and ideally parallel to a 'lay line'), with the vertical part pointing towards the zenith (preferably directed at the constellation of Orion).

Simples!

Please excuse me from butting in, but the vertical part needs to be offset by exactly 15 degrees to compensate for the curvature of the earth. Try it and be amazed.

John ;)

Marco
05-08-2011, 08:50
I'm amazed that none of you so far have realised that this stuff will only work on a Wednesday (and that's ONLY if you're wearing floral pants) :rolleyes:

Marco.

prestonchipfryer
05-08-2011, 10:06
And if it happens to be a Wednesday with no R in the month, you might just get away with going out of your front door and NOT the back door. :eek:

DSJR
05-08-2011, 10:12
OH NO!!!! Not this again fellas, PLEASE :( I have enough poo in my life right now without rubber necking this thread to see what else has been posted :lol:

synsei
05-08-2011, 12:24
AAAAARGH!!!! My girlfriend donated my floral underpants to charity, and on Wednesday too!!! Whatever am I going to do???? :eek:

Beechwoods
05-08-2011, 13:00
Just be grateful you've got a girlfriend! It's not all bad!

Barry
05-08-2011, 17:53
Phew, thanks Barry you saved me from having a psychotic episode :youtheman:

I'm wondering if the composition of the screws might make a difference as well as the depth and angle of the slot cuts? :scratch:

Believe it or not, some people have reported audible improvements in changing the center screw (the one that secures the cover on the plug) from a ferrous one to one made of brass. :eek: Assuming the plug is being used at its maximum capacity of 13A, the magnetic field is about 16 micro-Tesla (16uT), roughly similar to the Earth's magnetic field.

Again assuming the Live and Neutral wires form a circle around the screw (which they don't) with an area of ~1 sq.cm, then the inductance so formed will be ~ 0.15nH. Using a steel screw, which assuming has 4% Si will have a permeability of 2,500 near 0T, the inductance will be increased to ~ 0.3uH. To put this into perspective, mains filters have series inductances some 1000 times larger or more.

But if you can hear a difference, then go ahead and change the screws. But remember, owing to the heteroscedastic reversal of the Earths magnetic field, you might find yourself needing to change the screws every 800,000 years or so. :doh:

Happy and stress-free listening.

synsei
05-08-2011, 19:20
All my plugs have brass screws so I guess I'm good. This state of affairs came about by chance rather than design by the way :lol:

As has been mentioned many times before, beauty is in the eye (or ear in this case) of the beholder, so if it makes a difference and you like what you are hearing, run with it. I do hope May realizes we are just having a giggle and hasn't jumped ship :eyebrows:

May Belt
06-08-2011, 11:55
All my plugs have brass screws so I guess I'm good. This state of affairs came about by chance rather than design by the way :lol:

I do hope May realizes we are just having a giggle and hasn't jumped ship :eyebrows:

>> “I do hope May realizes we are just having a giggle and hasn't jumped ship” <<

No, I haven’t jumped ship. Incidentally, it doesn’t matter whether you have steel screws or brass screws, try aligning the screw slot as described !!!!! All screws – even screws in shelf units.

It is something we discovered during our experiments and past on for others to use.

Regarding “just having a giggle” !!

I don’t think that such as Jimmy Hughes, Paul Benson, Peter Turner, Christopher Breunig took all the trouble to describe some of the ‘tweaks’ they did just so that people could have a good giggle !! Believe me, they were serious and it took considerable courage for them to ‘go out on a limb’.

Why don’t you try the technique described ? Say with 5 to 10 screws ? Line the screw slots, listen for some time to get used to that sound, then change some of the slots away from being horizontal and see if you can listen to the same music with the same pleasure.

Barry had the correct answer for Phillips cross head screws. You select one of the slots.

Regards,
May Belt.

aquapiranha
08-08-2011, 20:57
http://www.vagabondish.com/wp-content/uploads/sign-tinfoil-hat-sale-573762297.jpg

DSJR
08-08-2011, 21:24
Jimmy was so sincere and kind with it, bless him. It was when I started going home and getting a far better sound without all this "stuff" that I sort-of jumped ship...

synsei
08-08-2011, 21:57
>> “I do hope May realizes we are just having a giggle and hasn't jumped ship” <<

No, I haven’t jumped ship. Incidentally, it doesn’t matter whether you have steel screws or brass screws, try aligning the screw slot as described !!!!! All screws – even screws in shelf units.

It is something we discovered during our experiments and past on for others to use.

Regarding “just having a giggle” !!

I don’t think that such as Jimmy Hughes, Paul Benson, Peter Turner, Christopher Breunig took all the trouble to describe some of the ‘tweaks’ they did just so that people could have a good giggle !! Believe me, they were serious and it took considerable courage for them to ‘go out on a limb’.

Why don’t you try the technique described ? Say with 5 to 10 screws ? Line the screw slots, listen for some time to get used to that sound, then change some of the slots away from being horizontal and see if you can listen to the same music with the same pleasure.

Barry had the correct answer for Phillips cross head screws. You select one of the slots.

Regards,
May Belt.

Hi May,

With the greatest respect (and I'm not poking fun in the slightest), the way I have my system configured just now I don't think it would make the slightest difference. If I had a clean, independent power feed to my gear like some members on these pages and possessed gear worth thousands of pounds I would give some of these tweaks an airing out of curiosity, but everything I own was either bought from ebay or from other members of this esteemed forum and although it has given me a fine sounding setup, I'm not sure the system is quite good enough to resolve the very slight improvements these tweaks might induce.

DSJR
09-08-2011, 10:09
Hi May,

With the greatest respect (and I'm not poking fun in the slightest), the way I have my system configured just now I don't think it would make the slightest difference. If I had a clean, independent power feed to my gear like some members on these pages and possessed gear worth thousands of pounds I would give some of these tweaks an airing out of curiosity, but everything I own was either bought from ebay or from other members of this esteemed forum and although it has given me a fine sounding setup, I'm not sure the system is quite good enough to resolve the very slight improvements these tweaks might induce.

You've got some great vintage gear there and I bet it all gives you much pleasure to use and listen "through." :)

The most important thing for me is to get the listening environment as pleasant and comfortable as possible, as this makes YOU feel better when you're there. The system itself should be set up as carefully as you can, using appropriate wiring etc for the units connected, before even thinking about direction of screw-slots - IMO

synsei
09-08-2011, 13:03
You've got some great vintage gear there and I bet it all gives you much pleasure to use and listen "through." :)

The most important thing for me is to get the listening environment as pleasant and comfortable as possible, as this makes YOU feel better when you're there. The system itself should be set up as carefully as you can, using appropriate wiring etc for the units connected, before even thinking about direction of screw-slots - IMO

You are absolutely correct Dave, the definition of a good system is one that disappears into the background allowing the listener to be at one with the music. However I realise it is important to set everything up in such a way as to allow the equipment to do its job properly. I must be there or thereabouts because the hairs on the back of my neck are often raised when listening to music these days. :band:

DSJR
09-08-2011, 15:15
You are absolutely correct Dave, the definition of a good system is one that disappears into the background allowing the listener to be at one with the music. However I realise it is important to set everything up in such a way as to allow the equipment to do its job properly. I must be there or thereabouts because the hairs on the back of my neck are often raised when listening to music these days. :band:

:) :cool: :peace:

synsei
09-08-2011, 21:48
I'd also add that the B&W DM2's I purchased recently are the icing on the cake. Although the LS55's were good, I was always aware that they were boxes producing music. The DM2's, despite their huge size, just vanish, and then the magic happens. I am so pleased I have reached these dizzy heights after all these years for such a modest outlay :hifive:

The only thing left for me to do now is to find somewhere I can get the Hafler serviced at reasonable cost...

Dingdong
10-08-2011, 05:27
I'd also add that the B&W DM2's I purchased recently are the icing on the cake. Although the LS55's were good, I was always aware that they were boxes producing music. The DM2's, despite their huge size, just vanish, and then the magic happens. I am so pleased I have reached these dizzy heights after all these years for such a modest outlay :hifive:

The only thing left for me to do now is to find somewhere I can get the Hafler serviced at reasonable cost...

The DM2's are a cracking speaker for the money. I'm over the moon with mine for a tenner. Huge improvement over my old Linn Sara's.

griffo104
10-08-2011, 13:46
Very intersting thread.

A few years ago I bought the SID disc. This is a plasticy type disk paintes green, smoth on on side, rougher on the other. The point was that it was put on the cd and create a darker environemnt, or helped with isolation but it was onhly about £14 so I bought it.

Never really used it as my then cd player, a Linn Mimik, you could actually hear it flapping around which got on my nerves.

During a recent house move I actually found the disc again and decided to try it. Does it make a difference ? Well in the my current cdp , Audio Analogue Maestro, I don't hear it flapping around so it's doing better :lolsign:

However I have noticed I am actually using it all the time. Not sure if this is because I do think it's better or just the fact it's become part of the ritual - a bit clamping records on my Orbe.

Interesting though (well to me)

synsei
10-08-2011, 14:50
The DM2's are a cracking speaker for the money. I'm over the moon with mine for a tenner. Huge improvement over my old Linn Sara's.

You deserve some of the credit Mark. Upon listening to yours when I popped over to visit earlier this year I was absolutely sold. Cheers matey ;)

Dingdong
10-08-2011, 15:59
Give me a shout if you want that tweeter sorting. I have spares.

worthingpagan
10-08-2011, 17:04
Just be grateful you've got a girlfriend! It's not all bad!

Awwwwww, i felt for you, so couldn't resist :lol: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Smiffys-Blow-Up-Doll-Male/dp/B0013NS604

Beechwoods
10-08-2011, 20:00
:eek:

:uhho:

:whistle:

synsei
10-08-2011, 21:44
Give me a shout if you want that tweeter sorting. I have spares.

I will mate but we're probably looking at a couple of weeks before I can get over. As you can probably imagine it's been a traumatic couple of weeks for me and Jo. Mums funeral is tomorrow at 12:45 and it doesn't end after that. I've got 'til Monday to sort her place out which is when I need to hand in the keys. No rest for the wicked, eh? :rolleyes:

Dingdong
10-08-2011, 21:58
No rush. Really sorry to hear about your mum. We'll catch up soon

May Belt
12-08-2011, 16:31
First, Dave, can we express to you and your family our deepest sympathy on the death of your mother.

Hi May,

With the greatest respect (and I'm not poking fun in the slightest), the way I have my system configured just now I don't think it would make the slightest difference..

Also with respect, Dave, don’t downplay how effective your existing system already is.

I would like to address the comment made to you by DSJR :-

>> “The system itself should be set up as carefully as you can, using appropriate wiring etc for the units connected, before even thinking about direction of screw-slots – IMO” <<

I have the impression that you both might be thinking I am advocating an either or situation. In other words – EITHER concentrate on setting up the system carefully OR line the screw slots (plus other things). I would advocate both to be considered as a ‘whole’ – as all encompassing - to getting the best listening environment.

Let me give a quicky explanation as to how the ‘freebie’ techniques came about.

During the 1980s, as various ‘audio reviewers’ were gradually describing doing certain things with their equipment and with their environment – things which did not seem to make technical electronic or acoustic sense but yet they reported gaining improvements in their sound, people who did not actually try such things could not understand how such improvements were happening and would dismiss reviewers descriptions of “remarkable improvements”, “surprising new quality of sound” etc as ‘over the top’ as ‘exaggerating’ an effect. And, because they could not understand, they were reluctant to then commit to spending any money on so called ‘tweaks’.

During our own investigations we had also discovered certain things gave improvements in the sound so we described some of those things to various interested reviewers for people to try these ‘freebies’ for themselves so that IF people COULD hear identical improvements to the ones being described, then they would better understand what the reviewers had been experiencing and therefore have more confidence in trying (even buying) some of the actual ‘tweaks’ for themselves.

The lining up of the screw slots was just one of those ‘freebies’. So, if you try it and don’t hear any changes in the sound, then nothing lost. If you try it and gain an improvement in the sound then something gained. But, what is gained would be an understanding of what CAN have an effect on the sound !!

Another such ‘freebie’ technique was the freezing/slow defrost technique, also way back some 25 years ago.

Regards,
May.

synsei
12-08-2011, 20:31
Thanks May for your kind words concerning my Mum. Her funeral was lovely and Sian, the lady vicar who took the service was lovely too.

Going back to the tweaks, I'll give it a go sometime next week when I'm back on an even keel. One potential problem I should mention is that I use a
Tacima CS929 6 Way Mains Conditioner, RFI and surge filter to provide power to my gear which is currently sitting on the floor. This unit looks like an ordinary 6 way mains extension lead with all the relevant circuitry housed at one end. Which would be the best way to configure the screws in the plugs seeing as it is lying on its back on the floor? ;)

May Belt
14-08-2011, 10:39
Going back to the tweaks. One potential problem I should mention is that I use a Tacima CS929 6 Way Mains Conditioner, RFI and surge filter to provide power to my gear which is currently sitting on the floor. This unit looks like an ordinary 6 way mains extension lead with all the relevant circuitry housed at one end. Which would be the best way to configure the screws in the plugs seeing as it is lying on its back on the floor? ;)

As well as looking at all things associated with the audio equipment can you also look at things throughout your listening environment, because you also have screws fastening such as the facia plate of light switches to the wall.

For anything which is not vertical (as the example you have given) look at the shape of the object and take the largest dimension as the significant dimension. For example. If the object is rectangular, then use the longest of the dimensions and line the screw slot parallel to that dimension.

With such as a pick up arm and cartridge. Usually the headshell holding the cartridge is slightly off line (at an angle) with the pick up arm. Use the line of the pick up arm as the dominant line and line the screw slots which hold the cartridge to the headshell to follow the line of the pick up arm through - NOT to follow the dominant line of the actual headshell. Similarly with the screws attaching loudspeaker drive units to the cabinet. If the shape of the drive unit is round, line the screw slots to follow the shape round so that you could draw a round line around the drive unit using the screw slots as guidance.

When you have tried any of those suggestions, listen for a while to get used to that sound then reposition any of the screw slots away from the suggested position and see if you can still listen to the same music with the same pleasure.

A few people may not initially hear an improvement in the sound but as soon as they revert back (i.e. to the screw slots not especially positioned) they can usually definitely hear the sound to have deteriorated.

Regards,
May