PDA

View Full Version : budget MM cartridge for Jelco 750D

ludovico
01-05-2011, 20:26
Hi.

I am looking for a low compliance MM cartridge for my Jelco 750D.
I have seen that the AT95E and some Nagaoka cartridges are recommended for this arm.

I listen a lot of rock and electronic music.

DSJR
01-05-2011, 21:11
The AT95E is one of those audio items that can practically work in anything out there. It's not the best in any one parameter, but has a well balanced performance all round and will be fine to start with. That's not to say the AT120E isn't better - it is - but for the price, the 95E is going to be very hard to beat.

If you want a bit more funk, the Pickering V15-VE should fit the bill, assuming it's an updated Stanton 500E/EE (the two firms are basically one). I have a Stanton 500V3 and although a tad dull for my tastes, it tracks well at 3g and surface noise is very low indeed.

One other which could have its stylus upgraded later is the Ortofon OM20 pro. I now understand the Pro-S (black version) is slightly less good, despite identical specs, and I only have the silver "Pro" version, but it's very good, with safe as houses tracking at 4g (don't worry it's so high) and it's this one the BBC have used for vinyl playback for a couple of decades now. I suspect the Nightclub E stylus might just be an upgrade and the body is similar to the OM10/20/30 etc models for which styli are readily available.

Hope the above helps a bit. I'd personally stick to new models where original styli can be got. I also have a Shure M75-6S 'universal M75' body to which I've tried an original M93E stylus (dull), an original M70EJ (same sonics but slightly different fixings) and an aftermarket N91ED stylus (tizzy treble and suspect tracking, despite it looking like a Jico made one).

DSJR
01-05-2011, 21:15
P.S. Nagaoka's are rather more expensive than the AT95E I think, but are well liked by those that know them. With correct loading (high capacitance usually needed or possibly slightly more than 47K impedance on the phono stage), the Shure M97XE should be an excellent introduction to top end vinyl replay, just the scale of its reproduction showing its humbler origins I reckon ;)

Beobloke
02-05-2011, 07:33
I can't add very much to Dave's comprehensive reply, except to say that I have personally found that the AT110E offers a healthy step up from the AT95E's already excellent performance for very little extra. Sadly they are no longer made but new examples are still lurking around and are well worth seeking out, IMHO.

Tarzan
02-05-2011, 08:01
l use a Stanton 520 £20, and it has a remarkable vitality, wide open soundstage and a musicality that is infectious, high output too, for a score it is incredible value for money, and also l use a Nagaoka MP110 which is also good:)

ludovico
02-05-2011, 10:43
In fact, I have already an Audio Technica AT-440ML/occ, but I don't know if it will sound good with the heavy jelco 750D. It seems to be too compliant...

The most important for me is to find a low compliance cartridge to match the jelco arm.

DSJR
02-05-2011, 11:04
The Jelco offers a damping option, so you should be quite ok with the 440Mla. Perhaps a lightweight headshell would work in this case and the Techie style shell is a lightweight and rigid option that should suit.

ludovico
02-05-2011, 11:28
There is also the Audio technica AT7V, which is a low compliance cart. As I have a low budget I could buy only the stylus ATN7V and put it in the AT-440ML body. The styli are interchangeable: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=260554&page=5

"Well there's definately a difference between the 'motor' of the AT7V and the AT440ML, the AT7V having a warmer or fuller midrange than the 440. It isn't entirely due to the innards though. The stylus assemblies are interchangeable between them and there seems to be more brightness coming from the 7V body with 440ML stylus than the other way around. There are big compliance differences too so the choice of tonearms for comparison matters. "

I have a Technics headshell but it has no azimut adjustment, which is very important IMO.

DSJR
02-05-2011, 11:35
If the V7 fits and you feel safer with this option, then go for it. The ML was thought of as a bit fierce, which the MLa version tames a tad I believe. The 120E is also brightly lit, but sweet with it, but you'll have the same compliance issues I think.

Macca
16-06-2011, 12:05
Would an AT95E work on a standard Technics arm? Is a Nagoaka MP 100 a better bet? Any other alternatives worth considering? Any advice appreciated

colinB
16-06-2011, 13:47
I ran a AT 120e on the stock arm for a year and it worked well.
I changed it for a Ortofon 2m blue which was a bit better but had to much surface noise.

Macca
16-06-2011, 14:06
I ran a AT 120e on the stock arm for a year and it worked well.
I changed it for a Ortofon 2m blue which was a bit better but had to much surface noise.

Thanks Colin. I gotta order something today if I don't want to spend next week without vinyl:eek:

ludovico
16-06-2011, 16:32
What is the link between the stock Technics arm and the Jelco 750D?:lolsign: