PDA

View Full Version : Pre-amp question

shuggz
22-09-2008, 11:48
Whilst comparing my Lector to the droplet, I decided out of interest to bypass the Eklipse pre, to my surprise the soundstage opened up, now I'm wondering what to do next. Tony advised getting the circuit diagram for the eklipse, which I've asked for.
Is this sort of thing to be expected re bypassing tube pre-amps or have I got a tired pre-amp in need of refresh?

John
22-09-2008, 15:38
Both nice Cd players Try another pre amp only way to be sure what is happening. If you just using digital volume control and no other units then perhaps going directly though the CD Player makes more sense, a good pre amp should add as little colour as possible and not take away anything from the sound but do not know your pre I am sure someone else here can give better advice

Ali Tait
22-09-2008, 16:40
It's more about impedance matching than component count in the signal path IMHO.If you are getting a better sound by connecting your source directly to your amp,then it's probable that there is an impedance mismatch between your pre and amp.A design like the WD pre3 would help in this regard,as it uses output transformers to drive an amp properly,and so avoids this problem.Or if you fancy giving diy a go,Nick(Lurchers) valve buffer stage would correct this problem.I'm sure he would advise if you asked nicely! He knows what he's talking about.

Or it just could be tired valves as you say.Might be worth changing them first if it's not too pricey a proposition.

shuggz
22-09-2008, 17:10
I replaced the originals with NOS mullards, so I may give that a try but not sure what valves to go for next.

Ali Tait
22-09-2008, 18:42
Well don't think you can do much better than that.

Steve Toy
22-09-2008, 20:37
The Grounded Grid preamp I picked up today from Anthony just eclipses ;) every preamp I've ever heard. It is so exquisitely detailed and yet reconstructs all the detail in a such a perfectly coherent fashion that I'd be hard pressed to find a better way to run a source component into a power amp.

It is the Tube Distinctions AOS pre to match the modded Puresound A30 AOS power amp.

jandl100
23-09-2008, 07:48
I've an Audio Synthesis DAX Decade which is a DAC with onboard pre - both very transparent. Nonetheless, I use an EAR 802 valve pre-amp as well as I find this adds focus and body to the sound as well as jigging the dynamics up a step or two. It also improves the 3D soundstage, it doesn't seem to close the sound in at all.

Marco
23-09-2008, 08:04
Same here, Jerry, with my Croft valve pre, which will be going head-to-head later with Steve's new grounded grid. If I like it more then I'll want one, too :)

I think it boils down to how good your preamp is in the first place, whether or not it 'gets in the way' of the sound, or like Ali says, impedance matching.

Marco.

Ali Tait
23-09-2008, 08:21
I've heard a Transcendent Sound GG pre,and it's rather good,so if the TD is anything like it,you're onto a winner there.

shuggz
23-09-2008, 09:55
Looks like a new Pre if I can't resolve, however a mate has pointed out that my Pre-amp sits on glass/metal supports on granite, whereas the mono's sit straight on to the granite.
He reckons that's where my problem is, I need to isolate the equipment on the rack or better still get a more inert rack re vibration, he also reckons my Zen's need better isolation than a £10 granite block from Tesco especially as I have a wooden suspended floor.

anthonyTD
23-09-2008, 10:05
Looks like a new Pre if I can't resolve, however a mate has pointed out that my Pre-amp sits on glass/metal supports on granite, whereas the mono's sit straight on to the granite.
He reckons that's where my problem is, I need to isolate the equipment on the rack or better still get a more inert rack re vibration, he also reckons my Zen's need better isolation than a £10 granite block from Tesco especially as I have a wooden suspended floor.
hi shuggz,
the glass would actually give a more forward presentation if anything, which from what you have described is the total oposite of what you have at the moment!
get the circuit diagram and lets have a look to see if we can work out what maybe going on!!!:eyebrows:
regards,anthony,TD...

Ali Tait
23-09-2008, 10:05
Got to be worth a try before spending lots of money on a new pre.

shuggz
24-09-2008, 13:17
The problem has been resolved, I spoke to Anthony he suggested turning the volume controllers up to full on the Mono's, CD and use only the pre to control the volume and bingo the sound stage has opened as opposed to the somewhat original muffled presentation.

Interestingly my electrician friend has took it upon himself to offer to put in a separate ring main for my rig, which he says should offer even better improvements once the junk hanging of the current ring main has been removed.

So looks like I'll be keeping the Gamma Aeons and flogging the AudioValve Baldurs, even though I've been told these are not reliable.

Thanks for all your help and advice

Ali Tait
24-09-2008, 13:44
Glad you got it sorted and best of all,you don't have to spend more money!