PDA

View Full Version : Speed Camaras - A Necessary Evil?

Marco
22-01-2008, 01:21
My view is that they're simply government money generators and do little in real terms to actually improve road safety.

Oh and cyclists are a major pain in the arse - especially the ones who ignore the highway code and think it's perfectly ok to jump red lights. Make 'em have to obey the same rules as car drivers, I say!

<Discuss> :D

Marco.

Steve Toy
22-01-2008, 01:26
This is just to test the software I think :D

Marco
22-01-2008, 01:36
Mais non, mon ami - it's a serious discussion...

Your thoughts please?

Marco.

Steve Toy
22-01-2008, 01:40
You know what I think. [What 'e said plus arbitrary tools of big brother government oppression as part of its anti-transport agenda.]

Marco
22-01-2008, 01:44
Yes, and dontcha just love cyclists?

Marco.

Steve Toy
22-01-2008, 02:05
Cyclists are fine as long as they respect the Highway Code like all other road users. I really must get my inner tubes repaired on my bike. Then wait for some nice weather for cycling - it's better than the stepper machine or the velo d'appartement.

snapper
22-01-2008, 12:26
Yes, and dontcha just love cyclists?

Marco.

No.

I believe in eating roadkill,but find cyclists too sinewy.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/sinewy

:p

Filterlab
22-01-2008, 13:06
I quite like some cyclists.

http://www.sporty-girls-phone-sex.com/Sporty_Girls_Phone_Sex_113.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/threecounties/content/images/2006/06/08/girl_on_bike_470_470x353.jpg

Marco
22-01-2008, 13:21
LOL. First one to mention sniffing saddles is banned! :D

I quite like cyclists, actually, but like David I couldn't manage a whole one...

Marco.

Chris Frost
22-01-2008, 21:07
I quite like cyclists, actually, but like David I couldn't manage a whole one... Oh I don't know. I'd have a damned good try with the ones in Rob's pictures :D

Back on topic, the problem isn't speed; it's speed in the wrong place or at the wrong time. 5mph on an ice covered road might be too fast, and a speed camera on that road would do naff all good.

Driver education would be a better long term strategy, but it's one that doesn't generate revenue and no government would be brave enough to implement it. Better still, let Health and Safety Executive loose on driving. Can you imagine the risk assessment on that ;)

abc1337
25-01-2008, 08:44
I like speed camera's - i prefer the nice bright yellow ones that sit pertly at the side of the road - the green ones need to get to the paint shop for a change...

Marco
25-01-2008, 09:51
Yes, but could you manage a whole one?

Marco.

Steve Toy
25-01-2008, 11:52
Hi Andy and welcome to the forum. Yes visibility and prior warning is the key :)

Marco
25-01-2008, 18:27
What always amuses me is the speed cameras you pass that look as if someone's shot them with an anti-tank gun :D

It's terrible isn't it? :p

Marco.

enbee23
01-02-2008, 10:48
What always amuses me is the speed cameras you pass that look as if someone's shot them with an anti-tank gun :D

It's terrible isn't it? :p

Marco.

I dream sometimes of doing things like that. Hate the f*cking things with a passion. HMG's private cash machines on poles, pure and simple.

Marco
01-02-2008, 11:57
I agree. It's where they're normally positioned, hidden behind trees, etc, that proves quite categorically that they exist simply to generate income for the government.

If they were intended as genuine deterrents to stop people speeding then they would be made completely obvious and painted some garish colour in order to stick out rather than a dull grey which simply blends into the landscape...

'Fess up, coppers, you know we're right! ;)

Marco.

Steve Toy
01-02-2008, 12:10
They do normally paint the boxes yellow. This is only a requirement though when the camera partnership is allowed to keep some of the cash. Now that all the cash goes to the treasury, theoretically they can be camouflaged.

Winding the clock forward seven years or so since the partnerships were introduced along with the yellow paint on those grey boxes, technology has moved on and the cameras themselves have become much more discreet.

Soon they will be hidden inside wheelie bins or cats' eyes as is already the case in other countries. They won't flash either so drivers with clean licenses may wake up to four NIP letters on the doormat in one go and find themselves taking the bus for at least a year.

Marco
01-02-2008, 12:29
Not exactly functioning as a deterrent then, are they? :rolleyes:

Motorists - easy targets, as usual!

Marco.

Steve Toy
01-02-2008, 15:30
I'm waiting for someone to glibly retort,

"Don't speed then!"

To which I reply, "you mean don't drive then."

Nicking drivers for speeding isn't about safety, it's about getting drivers off the road.

Vinyl Grinder
01-02-2008, 15:37
Just love the speed camera down in the village, every Thursday night on my way home it's lit up like a christmas tree! Couple of car tyres around the camera box on fire...

Steve Toy
01-02-2008, 16:40
I once saw that at a rather lucrative site near me. Well, what I actually saw from a distance as I approached was an orange ball of light mid-air by the roadside. I thought it was an angel appearing to announce the second coming.

It was even better than that... :D

My middle-aged female passengers asked if perhaps the fire brigade should be called. I said it could wait until the next day.

greenhomeelectronics
21-02-2008, 17:34
Definitely revenue generating for Gordon Sodding Brown. Very little to do with road safety, there is not one camera in Bracknell near an accident blackspot but loads half way down hills and where the speed limit used to be 50 but is now 30. I detest those vans they park in various places and stick the camera out the back, I would love to lob a grenade in - not a live one but I would love to see the reaction.