PDA

View Full Version : B&W DM2 Speakers

synsei
30-04-2011, 14:24
Hi guys,

I'm considering buying a gorgeous pair of DM2 mkII's. They are beautiful looking speakers and I remember many years ago a friend of the family having a pair. My memories of how they sound stems back to then and I really liked them at the time (1980's sometime). B&W pushed them hard as a true studio monitor and IIRC stated that they were an exceptionally revealing design and needed to be partnered with components of a similar quality. Because of where theses speakers are located I am going to be buying them on faith, having not heard them in my system. Obviously this is risky, so I am asking for the thoughts of anyone who has owned a pair and whether there are any pitfalls or weaknesses inherent with this model. They are in excellent condition cosmetically and all the drivers work perfectly.

Cheers... :cool:

DSJR
30-04-2011, 19:34
[EDIT]

FUGG!!!!!! I got the DM2's wrong!!!! below is for the 2 and 2A, not the mk2's.....

By today's standards, they're ok, as things really have moved on despite commercial concerns dictating size etc...

DM2's can wallow in the bass if you're not careful, so take care with positioning, stands and connecting wires. The mid isn't too coloured either, but exactly how good will depend on the control in the bass. Treble should be fine, as long as the Coles' are working still.

Jonboy
30-04-2011, 19:41
the cross overs will probably need new caps etc to get the best from them as they can sound very dull otherwise, i heard a pair that were wall mounted on shelves and sounded very good, but they had been rebuilt by a my valve legend mate though ;)

synsei
30-04-2011, 19:41
Hi Dave,

I was wondering how they would fare compared to my Rogers LS55's which have really come to life since I acquired the Arcam CD72 and DR5. This makes me think that there are more improvements to be had with the right speakers, plus the Missus wants something she can call 'furniture'. :lol:

synsei
30-04-2011, 19:50
These are they... ;)

http://i1019.photobucket.com/albums/af316/Sgtgrash/Hifi%20Stuff/BWDM2Series2.jpg

synsei
30-04-2011, 19:55
the cross overs will probably need new caps etc to get the best from them as they can sound very dull otherwise, i heard a pair that were wall mounted on shelves and sounded very good, but they had been rebuilt by a my valve legend mate though ;)

Wow, they must have been humongous shelves... :lolsign:

I could just about manage to re-cap them myself I think, although my glory days with a soldering iron were many moons ago. :eyebrows:

Jonboy
30-04-2011, 20:10
Ah you are talking about the series 2, we? are talking about the originals like these (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Bowers-and-Wilkins-B-W-DM2-Speakers-/270739721869?pt=UK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudio HiFi_HiFiSpeakers&hash=item3f09584e8d)

i have still got a original pair knocking around in garage

synsei
01-05-2011, 11:06
I did mention they were the '2's' in my first post ;)

DSJR
01-05-2011, 13:18
Hi Dave,

I was wondering how they would fare compared to my Rogers LS55's which have really come to life since I acquired the Arcam CD72 and DR5. This makes me think that there are more improvements to be had with the right speakers, plus the Missus wants something she can call 'furniture'. :lol:

I don't know the post Swisstone rogers speakers I'm afraid and even screwed up on the DM2mk2's themselves (edited above). I'm sure these will be fine as the boxes should be good quality and B&W were able to design good speakers by this time.

Dingdong
04-05-2011, 19:15
Well, have you picked your DM2's up yet?