PDA

View Full Version : TT swap

jantheman
30-04-2011, 09:09
OK..just for fun I have swapped out my Techie and put an old ERA Mk6 in its place. Refurbed as best as I can bearing in mind that its impossible to get a proper sized belt for it so I had to make up a tensioning pulley and use a longer length belt. Runs very quiet so I will give it a go for a week or 2.
Took the Rega 301/Goldring combo off the techie and mounted it in my home made armboard. Twas a bugger to level up but finally succeeded after much &^&$^ %$$£*£^ ;)
Will report back and let you know how it sounds....

DSJR
30-04-2011, 14:26
I can tell you - FEEDBACK CITY!!!!!!!

I sold a mate an Era 6 with SME back in the mid 70's. The deck looked amazing but the plinth was so flimsy the howlround threshold was incredibly low (and we should realise that subtle ambient and timbral clues are lost way before the system "lets go"). After three weeks the main bearing came detached somehow from the bottom tray and the deck was returned, exchanged for a Technics SL1200mk1 which was better, yet itself not too good in the feedback dept..

Great looking deck though, the Era 6..

jantheman
02-05-2011, 10:54
Techie is back on the shelf......

DSJR
02-05-2011, 11:05
Was I reasonably accurate, or have my memories failed me?

hifi_dave
02-05-2011, 11:07
It wasn't for nothing that the ERA wasn't popular.

jantheman
02-05-2011, 17:45
Was I reasonably accurate, or have my memories failed me?

Not too sure of the feedback thing...not somethng I noticed. It just sounded flat and didnt seem able to retrieve detail in the way the techie does.
Could be a combo of many things, tonearm, cart etc but I can only test with the gear I have.