PDA

View Full Version : tonearm cable strain

colinB
27-04-2011, 22:49
Just about to fire up the turntable after months of gathering dust. One possible problem is the tonearm cable cant be safely tucked away like it use to now im using a solid shelf. My old rack had big hole in it that let the cable drop.
Now with the deck on the shelf its forced to bend at a right angle.
Am i asking for trouble here?

Barry
27-04-2011, 23:10
Does the turntable have a suspended sub-chassis? Are the tone arm cables thick and not particularly flexible? If yes to both these questions then you could well experience problems.

The Grand Wazoo
27-04-2011, 23:13
I seem to remember you had a problem in the past that was caused by a trapped cable, Colin - you could get similar results here.

colinB
27-04-2011, 23:23
Yes i did , forgot about that.
Its a thick cable going into a technics and jelco arm. Crap.:doh:

The Grand Wazoo
27-04-2011, 23:25
Sounds like you need some sort of a sub-shelf to raise it up a bit if you can.

colinB
27-04-2011, 23:33
Just had a wrestle with the Technics and i think if i use a cable tie clipped on the rubber base that will keep the cable vertical and if i use some glass coasters for the isonone feet it might give me enough height to prevent a kink.

MCRU
28-04-2011, 20:27
can we see a pic of the problem?

Wakefield Turntables
28-04-2011, 20:39
I have a slight kink in my Nordost TYR tonearm cable and I cant say that it causes any differnce. So I wouldnt beat yourself up about it.

DSJR
29-04-2011, 12:51
It does depend on the cable contruction and how easily the bits inside are disturbed by sharp bends. Remember the hoo-ha about "massaging" certain Naim interconnects and the extreme ridicule in certain quarters. If the internal layout of the wire is critical to the integrity and consistancy of its performance, then I can understand this, although the rest of us can grin and carry on...

colinB
29-04-2011, 13:05
Its not the cable im worried about Dave its the strain on the connection between the cable and the tonearm. The cable is almost bent at 90 degrees.

AlexM
02-05-2011, 20:57
Colin,

Are we talking about an SL1200 here?. I had a similar thought while installing a Jelco SA-750D on my SL1210 today. as the lead-out for the ARM cable is at 90 degrees to the axis of the socket, I looped it half way around the internal cavity before bringing it out through the exit hole. This allows for a comfortable bend radius, rather than straining the cable and socket by bending it excessively to make a straight pass out through the arm cable hole in the base. The radius of curvature from exiting the deck and running across the stand is absolutely fine.

I think you would have to remove the rubber base to do this,but it is very straight-forward.

Hope you can see what I mean - I can try to take a picture if this isn't clear.

Regards,
Alex

colinB
02-05-2011, 22:24
I didnt realise this was possible. Thanks for the suggestion.