PDA

View Full Version : Big Vern's System

Big Vern
25-04-2011, 21:48
Dear All,

Decided that it was time to post some images of my system...my camera skills (and possibly camera) leave a lot to be desired, but I think the images are just about clear enough to make out the kit (indeed, on one you can see a reflection of my 70s-tastic fireplace!).

I have managed to twist my wife's arm to give me a dedicated listening room, in what was a largely unused room - with two small kids, we tend to base ourselves in one room at the back of the house. The only downside to the shift was moving into the only downstairs room with a suspended floor - however, I can live with this as previously, the system was in a bit of a through room, making relaxing difficult.

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x471/vermontdankin/DSCI0001.jpg

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x471/vermontdankin/DSCI0010.jpg

Okay, the first of my shaky images...The top line of turntables, from left to right are; Kenwood L-07D, Onkyo PX-100M and Denon DP-100M. Underneath on the right is a Nakamichi TX-1000, the amp in the middle is a Steelhead, which I'm also using as a preamp, feeding a Nu Vista 300 power amp. Speakers are (I know, I know) Monitor Audio Studio 50s.

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x471/vermontdankin/DSCI0002.jpg

Kenwood - this is not my first L-07D :eek: My first came from a very helpful dealership in Scotland in the day when you had a make copious telephone calls to locate kit...the internet was in its (relative) infancy. The L-07D I now have (number one went to fund the purchase of the DP-100M) was imported from the original owner in Sweden, who hadn't really used it - it came with original inner and outer boxes and an EEI cartridge, which actually sounds quite reasonable. At the moment, it has a Fidelity Research FR 6E fitted, which is quite a nice MM.

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x471/vermontdankin/DSCI0004.jpg

and

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x471/vermontdankin/DSCI0006.jpg

Onkyo PX-100M. I think I've mentioned in a previous thread how I came to own this table, so I'll spare you the detail again - suffice to say, it's a bloody long drive to Austria! :) There have been a few developments with this unit. Firstly, I'm using a Dynavector DV505 arm, with Lyra Delos MC - that said, I'm about to give the Denon 103R a try (Gerry - thank you). Basically, when I got the table back from Richard at Vantage, there was an issue with it, which we both decided to park at the time...it was a boon just to have a working specimen, capable of playing vinyl. The issue was that the start-up motor was defunct - the Onkyo has a 10KG copper platter, machined from solid. It then uses what Onkyo refer to as a 'linear induction motor' to spin the platter - a look at TVK images will give you an idea. However, to get the platter spinning from stationary takes quite an effort so, to take the pressure off the linear motor, there is a high torque 'normal' motor which gets the platter to lock and then disengages. This wasn't working.

This was fine in the sense that the table still worked, however, it placed quite a stress on the linear motor; spinning the platter by hand was an option, but I don't like things not working. Richard and I decided that I'd have a chat with a very clever friend of mine, who writes complex computer programmes for a living, to see what could be done. To cut a long story short, Paul (my mate) agreed to redesign the now antiquated logic circuit, write a suitable programme and take the motor/brake function off the power supply board. Paul came to measure the relevant voltage values and took a look at the two 90 degree offset sinewaves used to spin the platter. From what we could see on his scope, the initial signal to the coil amplifier was massive, as the unit got the platter spinning - this remained connected even when the start-up motor was supposed to be doing its thing. Once the platter reached speed, the size of the sinewave dropped from Tsunami to normal beach lapper, as little power is needed to keep the platter spinning (hope this makes sense :scratch:)

Paul set about designing and building the circuit as well as writing the programme. Incuded in the programme was the facility (with wee relays) to interrupt the signal going to the coil amp until the start-up motor has brought the platter to lock speed. This takes the pressure off the driver amp. In addition, we have been able to tweak operation, switching the amp off when going through the speeds (upwards), relying on the start-up motor to do the hard work. We have also designed the circuit to put the table into standby after 5 minutes of non use, to take the pressure off the brake solenoid, which is otherwise fully engaged from switch on.

About two weeks ago, Paul came to fit the board (I was working late), but I returned home to find a note, the opening word being 'success' :rave: I've been listening most nights and can say it sounds better than ever; the slight tweaks to the linear power supply and the new logic board have breathed new life into the 'table...it's been quite a wait, but it's been worth it. Much cudos to my mate, but also to Richard for getting the thing working from nothing! I'm very happy, as you can probably tell....I should post some images of the work, perhaps in a different thread.

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x471/vermontdankin/DSCI0009.jpg

Denon DP-100M - a real beastie - check out the size of this one compared with the others...and they're hardly small :lol: You can see the near industrial attention to detail with this table; massively hewn and with phenominal power. I'm currently using it with a Monitor SS mat, but am thinking of reverting to the stock mat. The SS mat weighs some 3.3kg, yet the platter goes from 0 to 33 in under 1/3 of a revolution. I'm not suggesting that this makes it sound better - I'm sure owners of Brinkmann direct drives would argue it doesn't. What it does do, is say that this is a no nonsense machine, with power to spare (like a good V12:lol:). The stock tonearm is quite something; on the fly super smooth VTA adjustment, with damping and cut-off frequency adjustment - you can also alter the speed of the drop/lift of the arm lifter. I don't know how it would compare with modern arms, but what I can say is that it more than holds its own aganist the Kenwood, Dynavector and (current) SME tonearms I already have.

As you may be aware, the stock table came in the nude...I made a surround with another good mate of mine, who also helped me to make the wall mounted racks all of the kit is on. I had the surround veneered by a couple of Rolls Royce trained craftsmen - I was blown away by the result.

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x471/vermontdankin/DSCI0008.jpg

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x471/vermontdankin/DSCI0011.jpg

Nakamichi TX-1000 - looking a bit sorry for itself on the lower tier, but it won't be sorry for long...just awaiting a 12" armboard for the SME and it will be all systems go. Bought this from a film producer in France and got a second non-working example thrown in; sold this to a guy in America (couldn't afford to keep it :() but I believe that it is now back in the UK (working!).

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x471/vermontdankin/DSCI0017.jpg

and

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x471/vermontdankin/DSCI0016.jpg

Of the last two photographs, the top one shows the mains regenerator I use - an ebay purchase - it's been a revelation. I don't use it to power my amps, although it could work with the preamp (it has a 500w rating). I bought this to make sure that my beloved TTs had pure, clean and constant power. I live in a town and have been bugged by crap mains/humming transformers. This regenerator has completely removed the rubbish from the supply...for example, I used to be able to put my ear to the Kenwood's platter and hear the 'wum, wum' of the coils. With the regenerator in place - nothing at all - totally quiet. Not only has it improved stability - it's given me real peace of mind to know that my tables are receiving good quality power and are protected from surges etc.

Wow, I think I've typed enough for one night. Please feel free to ask any questions, as I'm sure I've missed stuff out. Yes, I do need to get out more and such a collection is somewhat obsessive, but I figure that I'm amongst like minded friends (fingers crossed) :cool: (i.e. I don't say anything at work!:lol:)

Best Wishes,

Paul.

Marco
25-04-2011, 22:04
F*ck - I've just had a near-seizure and soaked my frillies with excitement at seeing all those AWESOME T/Ts parked together in the one room!! :stalks: :stalks: :eek: :eek:

Great write-up and pics, Paul. We must have a sesh soon (which we've discussed before), and I can bring round my 'glorified DJ deck' to test against those phenomenal statements of Japanese T/T engineering at its best, and then cry into my soup!

When d'ya fancy doing it? :cool:

Marco.

Rare Bird
25-04-2011, 22:08
F*ck - I've just had a near-seizure and soaked my frillies with excitement

I did the same when i saw the Onkyo PX-100M

Marantz 'CD73' on the floor i see

Marco
25-04-2011, 22:36
Aye, the Onkyo (particularly the platter) is a veritable thing of beauty. If it sounds half as good as it looks, it'll be quite something!

Marco.

Big Vern
25-04-2011, 23:12
Hi Marco/Andre,

I'm glad it's not just me that comes over all unnecessary - as I said, kindred spirits :) Marco, you'd be most welcome to come over for a sesh I'm sure we can get something into the diary in the not too distant?

I think your Technics will be more than up to the job - its modifications have moved an excellent turntable as is, into a whole other league - I'm sure it will be swings and roundabouts all round. ;) It would be great to do some cartridge swapping as well...I'd love to hear the SPU on one of the decks.

The Onkyo is quite a lovely turntable to behold - remarkably sleek for something which tops the scales at 40kg. The platter is a la Cu180, as it was made by Micro Seiki, although I have seen variations on the theme...I've seen one image of the platter with the copper buffed to mirror finish and then lacquered...looks equally stunning. What is amazing is the quality of the machining - the underside is quite complex, so the machinist would have to have been pretty damn good at his job and, I believe, copper is not the easiest metal to work with. At the moment, I'm using a Harmonix mat, which works very nicely indeed.

Andre - 10/10 - good spot! it is indeed a CD73...a smashing piece of kit...just need to work out where it is going to live! :) (oh, decisions, decisions!)

Best Wishes,

Paul.

Marco
25-04-2011, 23:17
Hi Paul,

Nice one. PM me, dude, and we'll pop something in the diary. I'll then reciprocate with a sesh at my place, and you can hear me big ol' wardrobes and some glowing bottle lurveliness! :eyebrows:

Marco.

WOStantonCS100
26-04-2011, 03:29
I, uhhhhh, ummmmm, yeeeeeeee, eerrrrrrrrrrrrr, frrrrrrrrrrrrrr, ch ch ch ch ch ch chuhhhh, lllaaaaaaaaaaaaa, aaaaaaaaaaaa, nnneeeeeeeee, mmmmmmmmm....

MOMMY!!!!

:drool:

John
26-04-2011, 06:48
You have every TT I ever dreamed of having, great pictures I have not heard any of them but lusted after these TT for years and years which is your favourite and why I guess the answer will be all Lol

Thing Fish
26-04-2011, 07:02
Very nice Vern. Some nice engineering in those decks.

Big Vern
26-04-2011, 08:09
Hi John,

It's tough to identify a favourite - I'm very fond of the Kenwood, as this is the 'table I lusted after when I first stood at the top of the slippery slope :) It's a beautifully compact (relatively) design, sleek with beautiful use of materials and quality of finish.

They all have the wow factor in some way or another - what is amazing is how the different manufacturers approached the designs from such different perspectives. Without exception, the engineering quality is superb, but Nakamichi took it to a whole other level with the TX-1000. Just about every record I own is off center (well, I've only ever come across one which isn't). I cannot explain mathematically how this impacts on the tonearm/cartridge, so I'll let R.E. Green of The Absolute Sound do the honours:

http://www.regonaudio.com/NakamichiTX1000.html

What I can say is that the changes are not subtle, especially on violin/piano. However, the presentation of the Nakamich isn't to everyone's liking, although I have managed to get excellent results by using the Harmonix mat. It is quite something - in a Thunderbirds kind of way - to see the sensor arm lift out of the middle of the turntable chassis, the arm then swinging out onto the leadout groove before two motors in the platter shift the upper glass platter sheet to compensate for the off center error.

I'm not sure we'll ever see the like of this sort of table again, as the cost of producing such a facility would be relatively high. I spoke with a well known and respected German manufacturer at a hifi show a couple of years back - he was looking to develop a centering facility but stated that the resulting 'table would be in the region of 30,000 Euros to buy...ouch! :)

Paul.

Rare Bird
26-04-2011, 09:25
Talking High End Japanese TT's, if i were still into vinyl & had a choice it would be the 'Exclusive P3a' for me.

jantheman
26-04-2011, 10:42
very VERY nice...what else can I say.....except....remember me in your will...I can PM details if need be.....:lolsign::lolsign:

DSJR
26-04-2011, 15:11
...And just think, an original Rega Planar 2 will see the lot off in terms of music reproduction :D

You think I'm kidding? I started work on my quest for rubber-cord drive domination by giving said turntable its original (Linn) rubber mat, but the bearing's worn (run with dried oit lube) and worse, the bias belt has gone to meet its maker. Another one of those "perfect working order" devices you buy on eBay :(

Seriously, some beautiful pieces of engineering there - lovely :cool: :lolsign:

Rare Bird
26-04-2011, 15:24
...And just think, an original Rega Planar 2 will see the lot off in terms of music reproduction :D

You think I'm kidding?

The best sounding Rega i had was 'Planar 2'/'Grace '707'/Grace 'F9E' (Dont scrap that rubber matt)

Just like the attached.

Big Vern
26-04-2011, 15:40
Andre, I'm with you on the P3a - considering the cost of the unit, I believe that it sold in quite large numbers and, unlike I think just about any other similar high end DD of the era, Pioneer will not laugh at you if you ask them to service it! :) (That said, you'll need to send it to Japan - but chances are, that's where it will be coming from anyway). I would love to add a P3 to the collection, but I just want to concentrate (I have no choice, I have kids :lol:) on enjoying what I've got.

Ray - I'll bear you in mind, Sir ;) and as for the Planar 2 - couldn't comment, 'cause I've never heard one and, judging by the comments, I better hadn't! :lol: Forced into an ebay fest of direct drive delights, shattered by a belt drive blinder...I suspect that underneath all of the casing, machined metalwork and hulking great motor casings, all of my turntables are belt drive anyway :eek: (I've had my suspicions about the Denon for some time)

Paul.

Marco
26-04-2011, 15:56

Aye, daftie, dream on!! :lol:

I've heard the L-07D and Nakamichi at the house of a mutual friend of Paul and I, and both wee all over ANY P2 from a great height. In fact, it's ridiculous even mentioning them in the same sentence, such is the Rega's toy status in comparison!

The L-07D that I heard remains the finest sounding turntable I've experienced to date, bar none. It would be a considerable achievement if my Techy were able to match its musical ability.

Marco.

Tarzan
26-04-2011, 16:29
Oh that Onkyo, that is uber cool:stalks::stalks::stalks:, just for pure fun and fantasy how much would one of those beasts cost to the average AOS member?

Spectral Morn
26-04-2011, 17:16
Hello Vern

What can I say that has not been already been said....amazing set up, well done.

Those MF power amplifiers are very good among the last that MF made that I personally like the sound of. And a Manley pre :) lovely.

Regards D S D L

slate
26-04-2011, 17:57
Respect

Big Vern
26-04-2011, 18:13
Thanks everyone for the kind comments - I decided that it was high time to get some images on the forum and I'm glad I did :)

The Onkyo is quite something to behold - I think they got the aesthetics just right. The platter is an amazing piece of machining. The underside has a rim, which fits between the stator blocks, of which there are eight, arranged in four pairs around the circumference of the platter. This does make for extremely smooth rotation - sensibly, the Onkyo engineers made sure that there are no coils directly under the arc of the cartridge, as I could see potential for some noise breakthrough. I know where to advertise it, should I ever decide to sell! ;)

Neil - totally agree with you about the MF amps. When I picked up the hifi bug again (I was ailment free for some 10 years), I bought a Nuvista M3. I guess this was my first experience of what you could perhaps call high end gear (certainly based on cost) and I have to say I was blown away by its massive construction. I sold this when my eldest son was born, but regretted it. I know that MF amps can polarise opinion, but I have to say that the M3 was lovely. I lasted for about 12 months. MF had just released the KW500, so I took the plunge.......It had many strengths, but overall it just didn't do it for me inthe same way as the M3......just a tad cool for my linking. Two years ago, I had the opportunity to purchase the 300s and the matching preamp and I jumped at it. I'm not totally sold on the pre, but the power amp is quite impressive and is a nice match with the Manley, which I feel is superb and a nice counterpoint to other elements of my system. The Skipjack (bought from Howard P.) is cool and does an excellent job of expanding the possibilities available with the Manley. I may look to;) experiment with a preamp in the future, but for the time being, I would guess I'd have to spend a fair bit to garner a worthwhile improvement, and that's just not an option at the moment.

I do like my MA Studio 50s as well...infinite baffle which I like...but I guess that's a whole other can of worms! :lol:

Paul.

Reid Malenfant
26-04-2011, 18:20
Staggeringly beautiful equipment :stalks: I guess the biggest problem apart from what record to spin must be which deck to spin it on! :confused:

:lolsign:

Spectral Morn
26-04-2011, 18:21
Thanks everyone for the kind comments - I decided that it was high time to get some images on the forum and I'm glad I did :)

The Onkyo is quite something to behold - I think they got the aesthetics just right. The platter is an amazing piece of machining. The underside has a rim, which fits between the stator blocks, of which there are eight, arranged in four pairs around the circumference of the platter. This does make for extremely smooth rotation - sensibly, the Onkyo engineers made sure that there are no coils directly under the arc of the cartridge, as I could see potential for some noise breakthrough. I know where to advertise it, should I ever decide to sell! ;)

Neil - totally agree with you about the MF amps. When I picked up the hifi bug again (I was ailment free for some 10 years), I bought a Nuvista M3. I guess this was my first experience of what you could perhaps call high end gear (certainly based on cost) and I have to say I was blown away by its massive construction. I sold this when my eldest son was born, but regretted it. I know that MF amps can polarise opinion, but I have to say that the M3 was lovely. I lasted for about 12 months. MF had just released the KW500, so I took the plunge.......It had many strengths, but overall it just didn't do it for me inthe same way as the M3......just a tad cool for my linking. Two years ago, I had the opportunity to purchase the 300s and the matching preamp and I jumped at it. I'm not totally sold on the pre, but the power amp is quite impressive and is a nice match with the Manley, which I feel is superb and a nice counterpoint to other elements of my system. The Skipjack (bought from Howard P.) is cool and does an excellent job of expanding the possibilities available with the Manley. I may look to;) experiment with a preamp in the future, but for the time being, I would guess I'd have to spend a fair bit to garner a worthwhile improvement, and that's just not an option at the moment.

I do like my MA Studio 50s as well...infinite baffle which I like...but I guess that's a whole other can of worms! :lol:

Paul.

Yes I agree the MF pre would have been the week link. Yes I had a listen to a KW500, liked it out of the box but as it ran in I started to dislike it for the reasons you say. Matter-of-fact sound lacking musicality and cool.

Impressive set up :)

Regards D S D L

Big Vern
26-04-2011, 18:36
Staggeringly beautiful equipment :stalks: I guess the biggest problem apart from what record to spin must be which deck to spin it on! :confused:

:lolsign:

You're right, Mark - as time has progressed I've come to understand the different strengths/shortcomings of each unit and I'm now able to select the right turntable for the job. A good example would be string/piano music, of which I'm a big fan - the Nakamichi is usually pressed into service here, as I know I'll be getting absolute pitch stability (at least to my ears); the use of the Harmonix mat has helped with improving the musicality of this 'table...

I must confess that the Onkyo has been working hard of late, in the main to test the new logic circuit and to make sure that everything has settled down (fingers crossed, all is well at the moment)

Paul.

Beobloke
27-04-2011, 09:30
I've just stumbled on this thread.

I have also just had a trouser accident, dribbled all over my keyboard and caused myself and my work colleagues a great deal of distress with my combination of inane gibbering, leaping up and down in excitement and generally worshipping at the altar of your listening room. I may have to sue you for stress caused, but will be happy with an out-of-court settlement in the amount of one Nakamichi TX-1000! ;)

Seriously, though, that is a STUNNING collection of turntable hardware you have there and I can only imagine the pride of ownership that they give you.

I vote for a big AoS bake-off at your house! :lolsign:

Tim
27-04-2011, 11:23
I vote for a big AoS bake-off at your house! :lolsign:
I think he'll need a bigger house in that case then ;)

Gorgeous, just gorgeous :drool:

freefallrob
27-04-2011, 12:37
Wow, wow, seriously impressive, many congratulations, I quite like some MA speakers too....;-)

Alex_UK
27-04-2011, 12:40
WOW - but without wishing to be ungrateful or critical - some better quality pictures would be wonderful sometime if you could manage... Then even more :drool: to clear up - or by the sounds of it for for some - something much worse! :eek:

Big Vern
27-04-2011, 15:26
:lolsign: ....I'm glad it's not just me! Adam, I'd be delighted to welcome you, should you be passing or wish to visit. I've just fitted a Dynavector tonearm to the Nakamichi with pleasing results :) (better enjoy it before that clearly legally binding handover of said turntable is required :lol:)

Alex - no offence taken at all - the pictures are not very good and I would like to take some better ones...my skills are certainly not the best, but the Polariod camera I'm using is an early generation digital offering and is less than impressive now. To be frank, I nearly didn't bother placing the post because of the images, but decided it was high time I pulled my finger out :)

It's been quite an interesting journey owning these tables - I've tinkered around now with all of them, understanding characteristics to get the best out of them and undertaking some minor servicing work to keep them on song...e.g. bearing oil and the like (it's like a turntable zoo, tending to them! :)). Without doubt, the biggest project has been the work on the Onkyo - redesigning/programming the logic circuit and getting new and old to work together has been quite a challenge but, as I type, one which has yielded excellent results.

I'll see if I can get some better, more detailed images posted in the next couple of days (am off work for a few days, so now would be a good time!)

Once again, thanks all for your kind comments :)

Best Wishes,

Paul.

Tim
27-04-2011, 15:50
Wow, wow, seriously impressive, many congratulations, I quite like some MA speakers too....;-)
Well I'm just about to sell some mint MA Gold 60's - PM me if you are interested?
They are Piano Black, unmarked and rather heavy, so will have to be collected or maybe the delivery guy that has been mentioned on the forum could be an idea? Excuse the mess in the pictures, but I had these to hand - not taken the 'pucker' sale ones yet.

(click thumbnails for larger images)

Oops, sorry Paul..... went off course there :(

MCRU
27-04-2011, 19:05
When I go to heaven and knock on St. Peter's door let me prey that he has a room just like yours mate, I have honestly spent weeks deliberating whether to add some more TT's to my collection of 4 and now I have seen your stunners the answer is a most resounding YES.

PLEASE take some better pics and shove them in my thread of turntable pictures, please. BTW what stand do you house those works of art on?

Do you take in lodgers? Need to see them in person! :eek:

Big Vern
27-04-2011, 19:21
Hi David,

:lolsign: I'll get some better pictures taken and place them on the relevant thread - there are already some stunning images on there that put my paltry efforts to shame.

The stands are home brew. About 18 months ago I moved the kit out of the room next door to the one in which they now reside. The original room had a concrete floor, which was ideal. Unfortunately, the room the tables are now in is my only remaining ground floor room with a suspended floor (over the cellar - my house was built in 1877). I was using a mish mash of racks/furniture, including a Clearlight Audio Aspekt rack (which is now for sale, if anyone is interested; four tier black/cherry). However, even this was not good enough, as the floor sags a little in the middle! :eek:

Along with a friend (who helped me with the Denon surround) who has a lathe and all sorts of machining kit (including a welder), we made three two tiew racks out of 40mm by 40mm box section. These are wide and deep enough to accommodate the tables with ease. I cut and my friend welded the bits together, and they were then sent to a powder coaters for finishing. Six double thickness and (again) powder coated MDF shelves were added, and I even machined the spikes myself! :eek: The shelves were then...and this is the bit that I was worried about...attached to the wall. This has ensured that they are dead level and really isloated from the floor etc. Naturally, I was worried about the house falling down, as thet carry about 80-90KG apiece. However, my buddy is a civil engineer, used to (quite literally) building bridges, and he managed to allay my fears by standing on one and (admittedly gently) bouncing up and down...they haven't budged a bit, but have made life a lot easier in terms of access and record changing, and they improved the sound no end.

I will admit, however, that they look a tad industrial - I'm lucky to have my own den, because I'm sure they would not be allowed elsewhere in the house! I'm looking to refine the design and even considered using stone shelves, but the weight and certainly the cost kinda put me off! Softer metal for the spike is on the cards, though.

Cheers,

Paul.

kcc123
28-04-2011, 23:06
Wow! That is absolutely a turntable heaven!:eek:

I have been green with envy since I saw all those magnificent turntables. I thought I would dump all of mine and get one like yours.

Theo
30-06-2011, 09:12
Hello Paul

Just taking a look at your systems thread - bl**dy hell, that's as serious a collection of d/ds that I've ever come across - and every one of them a beauty, both in aesthetics and engineering goodness. I'm just getting used to how large my L-07D is (in comparison to my other t/t), and it is positively DWARFED by the others in your collection!

I'm sure they give you great pleasure, and hope they continue to for many years to come :)

Big Vern
30-06-2011, 22:44
Hi Theo,

It's a tad obscene, really :) However, my collection was put firmly into perspective by the image posted by Gerry, of the chap with a Rockport Sirius III, Clearaudio Statement, Thorens Reference and Prestige and Micro SX 8000...there's always someone out there :eek:

That said, I always seem to come back to the L-07D. The Nakamichi is an amazing thing to behold, but is just too complicated and scary. The Denon is a stunner, but is just so massive and industrial and the Onkyo is a fantastic prototype, but managed to get little further. Onkyo in Japan provided me with some specs for the coils and they were - quite literally - written on the back of a cigarette packet. Whereas the Kenwood is just such a complete design, fully thought through and implemented. It has the industrial look in some senses, but in a domestically acceptable way - it's the real deal. What's the bottom line here...if I had to keep just one, it would be the Kenwood...says it all, really

Please let us know how you get on with your cartridge selection...

Best Wishes,

Theo
01-07-2011, 08:45
Hi Paul

The cartridge is a new Micro Benz Ace S, low output, courtesy of those fine chaps at ESCo. Hopefully arrives today for weekend install :)

ursus262
01-07-2011, 16:07
Well, it has to be asked: why do you have three turntables? Isn't one enough?

*ducks*

Alex_UK
01-07-2011, 19:16

*ducks*

Give it a few more months hanging around here... ;) Since joining AoS I've acquired 2 more turntables (4 in total) 4 Amps (6 in total) 4 pairs of speakers (7 in total) and 2 more CD players (5 in total.) God knows how many cables and accessories, and the CDs and LPs that have come through my door explain the evil look the postman gives me every time I see him... :eek:

Tim
01-07-2011, 19:25
:lol: yup, Alex is right - I have 3 amps now and 1 more on the way, but I only had 1 when I joined AoS, 2 racks - 1 before, 2 DAC's - none before, 3 pairs of speakers - 2 before and about 200 more CD's . . . this place can be expensive :doh:

EDIT: I had 1 CD player when I joined, but now I have none..... so that's a downsize :scratch:

Big Vern
01-07-2011, 20:49

*ducks*

:lolsign: Good point, David, and one which my wife makes on a regular basis! :)

Luckily, I'm amongst similarly afflicted kindred spirits here...:eek:

Best Wishes,

ursus262
01-07-2011, 22:28
And you haven't even got an even number! I'd love the opportunity to say what a lovely pair you have.... but I can't. I personally think you should buy another.... just to even things up a bit.:stalks:

ursus262
01-07-2011, 22:29
Also, I'm not similarly afflicted, as I've only got an old Thorens :)

Big Vern
02-07-2011, 21:25
Also, I'm not similarly afflicted, as I've only got an old Thorens :)

:lolsign: Fair point, David - I should not tar all members of this fine forum with the same brush - but I am not alone ;)

On another note, just realised that I have two nice pairs...Nak, Kenwood, Denon and Onkyo...nuff said :eek:

Best Wishes

trio leo
12-08-2011, 14:40
Hi Paul,
You lackee, lackee b...... (life of brian lol) fantastic set up, that Onkyo looks stunning, 10Kg platter wow. I have an LO7D and I thought that was big,with such a selection I dare say you have tried many cartridges, could you recommend an upgrade from a Dynavector 10X5?
Wonderful pictures and very interesting thanks a lot Al

Big Vern
14-08-2011, 20:04
Hi Paul,
You lackee, lackee b...... (life of brian lol) fantastic set up, that Onkyo looks stunning, 10Kg platter wow. I have an LO7D and I thought that was big,with such a selection I dare say you have tried many cartridges, could you recommend an upgrade from a Dynavector 10X5?
Wonderful pictures and very interesting thanks a lot Al

Hi Al,

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you. It would be wrong to say that the L-07D could take any cartridge, but I must confess I've enjoyed some stupendous results with a variety of offerings...I've even used an old EEI with excellent results. For a while I was using a Dynavector Karat and found it to be a very synergistic pairing - you could do much worse than look higher up the Dynavector range. Indeed, a good few of the L-07D Yahoo Group use Dynavectors...I presume you have the original headshell?

Slightly more left field, I've found the combination of L-07D and Grado quite a nice one - I had the Statement Reference (penultimate one in the range) and again found this to be a nice mix, albeit the Grado was a low output Moving Iron which could pose a challenge to your phonostge. Others worth considering are - in no particular order - Shelter and Koetsu...of the two, a fellow L-07D owner preferred his Shelter to the Koetsu Rosewood (Sugano vintage)...I know of other users who swear by the Shelter/L-07D combination. I managed to get a very nice sound out of a Lyra Delos, which I think is a sweeter cartridge than pervious, similarly priced Lyra offerings. Finally, you could even look at something like an Ortofon SPU, which I believe Marco has heard on an L-07D making some pretty lovely noises :)

So, I guess the forerunners are an upper market Dyna like the 17D3 and above and the Shelter range...with the leftfield being something like the SPU.

Hope this helps!

Best Wishes,

Gerry
15-08-2011, 09:05
I use a Shelter 501 to great effect and would recommend it

I also have an use a Benz Micro L on the the TT. another lovely combo, not quite as sweet and subtle as the Shelter, but works great for Blues and Rock...punchy sound. It is a fair bit cheaper than the Shelter though!

trio leo
15-08-2011, 12:26
Hi Paul,
thank you for your reply, I haven't heard of EEI but years ago I heard a Van den Hul EMT and it was superb. I have got an Ortofon SPU GT with the transformer built into the headshell so it's MM output and I had it silver wired with a boron cantilever and retipped by VdH, it sounded wonderfully articulate with oodles of bass, then my wife knocked it off the shelf and snapped the cantilever off! I miss her! I also have another nude SPU that needs a new cantilever and tip, I will do it but it's not cheap, mind you it's probably the same as buying a new cartridge.
A few others have said upgrade the Dynavector, I think the 17d3 is low output, so a 20X2 looks favourite,maybe a Microbenz Glyder High output, I have been happy with the 10X5 and whilst the Spectral pre-amp will do MM/MC the Albarry pre-amp I want is MM. enjoy your music, regards Al

Ps could you tell me or maybe you have photo of the bias weight set up, I have the little chord but I can't figure out which bit attaches to which, thanks again Al

Big Vern
23-08-2011, 22:09
Hi Paul,
thank you for your reply, I haven't heard of EEI but years ago I heard a Van den Hul EMT and it was superb. I have got an Ortofon SPU GT with the transformer built into the headshell so it's MM output and I had it silver wired with a boron cantilever and retipped by VdH, it sounded wonderfully articulate with oodles of bass, then my wife knocked it off the shelf and snapped the cantilever off! I miss her! I also have another nude SPU that needs a new cantilever and tip, I will do it but it's not cheap, mind you it's probably the same as buying a new cartridge.
A few others have said upgrade the Dynavector, I think the 17d3 is low output, so a 20X2 looks favourite,maybe a Microbenz Glyder High output, I have been happy with the 10X5 and whilst the Spectral pre-amp will do MM/MC the Albarry pre-amp I want is MM. enjoy your music, regards Al

Ps could you tell me or maybe you have photo of the bias weight set up, I have the little chord but I can't figure out which bit attaches to which, thanks again Al

Hi Al,

Again, apologies for the delay in getting back to you...I have been away. Do you have a copy of the manual? P.M. me with your e-mail address and I can send you an electronic copy...around page 8 there is a picture setting out how to thread the bias weight.

Best Wishes,

jason
02-09-2011, 08:54
What a collection Vern, very nice turntables they look great....

MartinT
02-09-2011, 09:02
That Onkyo and Dynavector are a dream combination, especially with your DV finished in black. Great to see another DV user in the forum. Brilliant turntable array :eek: