PDA

View Full Version : Matrix Mini-I - DAC, headphone amp, preamp, LCD Display and Remote Control. £260!

AmpCity
24-04-2011, 20:06
Hi All,

Very pleased to announce that now in stock is the Matrix Mini-I. This beatiful little unit has been growing in popularity for the last year or so and now it's here in the UK. So what do you get for your £260?

Well a hell of a lot, actually. Here's a quick run down:

Balanced structure with dual AD1955 24bit / 192kHz D/A converter units

· High quality digital receiver chip with ultra-low jitter and an independent system clock

· USB, AES/EBU, optical, coaxial digital (using suppplied adaptor) inputs and a coaxial output (supporting multichannel pass-through)

· Up to 24bit / 192kHz digital input via coaxial and optical

· Professional stereo OP-Amps OP275/OPA2134, offering the best signal playback quality

· Digital step volume controller that covers -90 to 0 dB (1 dB each step)

· Both balanced and unbalanced output, which makes it possible to connect two sets of analog devices with different interfaces at the same time

· Multi-stage stabilized voltage power supply

· Internal headphone amp unit can easily drive any headphones of 300 ohms and below

· Large screen LCD panel displays user friendly information on current playback status and unit setting

· Pre-amp mode and DAC mode selectable

· While starting up or switching input channels, the volume will fade in to prevent shock and hearing damage caused by excessive volume

· Displays track information and sample rate when working with D-Sub code compatible CD players

So you have your current favourites round this sort of price, the DacMagic, Caiman etc - in terms of features alone there's definitely a lot more on offer. The remote control is the killer though!! Input selection, volume, mute, on/off - no longer do you have to make the dreaded few steps to the DAC in order to change the volume or input.

Some reviews that talk about just how good the Mini-I is:

http://www.headphonista.com/matrix-mini-i/
http://www.headfonia.com/matrix-mini-i-balanced-dac/

Plenty of talk online about it amongst the various forums.

Nice pic by Headfonia:
http://static2.headfonia.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/matrix_mini_i_2.jpg

Right, so order link on AmpCity is here: http://www.ampcity.co.uk/dac-amps/matrix-mini-i-dac-headphone-amp.html . The description still needs to go up but will be there in the next few days. Free UK delivery, 30 day money-back guarantee, next day delivery as standard, shipped same day if ordered before 11am.

Any questions, thoughts, comments - let me know!

Zain
0791 221 4586
0203 384 6292
z.dhalla@ampcity.co.uk

Ali Tait
24-04-2011, 20:39
Looks great value for what you get.

Tim
24-04-2011, 22:59
30 day money-back guarantee to try at home - hmmm, that's a juicy worm for the Bank Holiday :scratch:

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w63/greatgig/worm_on_hook.gif

AmpCity
26-04-2011, 00:22
Looks great value for what you get.

Definitely is. It's been fantastically popular since we started stocking the product, already through our first batch and the second has just arrived! In terms of features for the price I'm not sure what else matches it tbh, it sounds pretty damn good as well. Maybe slightly low on micro-resolution but it is very musical indeed.

30 day money-back guarantee to try at home - hmmm, that's a juicy worm for the Bank Holiday :scratch:

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w63/greatgig/worm_on_hook.gif

Hehe, by all means you're welcome to give it a go. If you're not happy then we'll issue a full refund, including postage - I haven't had any returns so far though :)

Zain

Rare Bird
26-04-2011, 10:03
Um looks very intresting..

Yoga
26-04-2011, 14:08
Looks interesting. I wonder how it compares to the Caiman :¬)

Tim
26-04-2011, 15:40
Looks interesting. I wonder how it compares to the Caiman :¬)
That's what I was thinking, but I really don't like that red display, spoils a very classy look. Something more understated along the lines of below would have worked better IMO. I think less is always more in terms of a style statement - simple and clean and toned in with the cabinet. That's just too 'bling' for me, but then I'm a grumpy old git http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w63/greatgig/old-git.gif

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w63/greatgig/2011-04-26_163324.jpg

Rare Bird
26-04-2011, 16:58
That's what I was thinking, but I really don't like that red display, spoils a very classy look.

I dunno i like that red display, if i were to cut a red camera filter & replace the orange membrane on my Mission 7000CD player display, i think it would look ok with it..I could get that DAC facia anodised black.

Reid Malenfant
26-04-2011, 17:02
I dunno i like that red display
Actually i quite like the look of it to ;)

Red is the new blue :D

Tim
26-04-2011, 17:07
See, there you go, by a two to one majority it's confirmed - I am definitely a grumpy old git :lol:

Rare Bird
26-04-2011, 17:18
:lolsign:

Zainul

I believe it's available in a black case! does that include a black facia aswell?

AmpCity
27-04-2011, 23:15
That's what I was thinking, but I really don't like that red display, spoils a very classy look. Something more understated along the lines of below would have worked better IMO. I think less is always more in terms of a style statement - simple and clean and toned in with the cabinet. That's just too 'bling' for me, but then I'm a grumpy old git http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w63/greatgig/old-git.gif

I see what you mean, but in the flesh it actually is not that overstated and works quite well with the rest of the unit. Also if using it from a distance with the remote, you do need to actually be able to see the text and I'm not so sure how well it would work with a different colour display.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w63/greatgig/2011-04-26_163324.jpg

:lolsign:

Zainul

I believe it's available in a black case! does that include a black facia aswell?

It is indeed available in a black case, but that does not extend to the fascia unfortunately - still the same fascia no matter the colour of the case. Still, does look very sleek and works well - I can see that people with all black units would want something that integrates will with the rest of the gear. I'll pop a quick question over to Matrix and see what they can do about that :)

In terms of camparisons to the Caiman, that's something you guys will have decide! If there is anyone who has the Caiman and wants to compare, and wouldn't mind posting a couple of impressions on here, then send me a PM/email/give me a ring! Would be happy to send out a unit.

Zain

AmpCity
07-05-2011, 16:40
Just sent off a demo unit to Dan George at HiFi Choice - hopefully will get a review published in the next few months.

Zain

AmpCity
15-07-2011, 17:05
Quick update: the Matrix Mini-i review by HiFi Choice has been completed, and will be published in next months edition of the magazine.

There is an online version already available at TechRadar: http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio-visual/hi-fi-and-audio/hi-fi-accessories/matrix-mini-i-dac-977524/review

Has been awarded 5 stars, very happy with that indeed as the Mini-i really does offer exceptional versatility at the price point. Only a couple of quid more than the current go-to DACs, yet offers so much more I think.

We have units in stock, if anyone wants to give one a go feel free to take advantage of the 30-day guarantee, no restocking fee and we even arrange to pick the unit up.

Zain

aquapiranha
15-07-2011, 22:47
If I was in the market for a new DAC, I would be seriously considering this one. Tell me Zain, does the remote also adjust the pre-out volume? That would be a real bonus to me if it did. ( I am not buying btw)

Thanks, Steve

Yoga
16-07-2011, 07:29
Having owned this unit, I can vouch for it's excellence.

Literally couldn't tell it apart when A/B switching against the Rega DAC (!).

AmpCity
16-07-2011, 21:28
If I was in the market for a new DAC, I would be seriously considering this one. Tell me Zain, does the remote also adjust the pre-out volume? That would be a real bonus to me if it did. ( I am not buying btw)

Thanks, Steve

Steve, the remote does indeed control the pre-out volume.

Having owned this unit, I can vouch for it's excellence.

Literally couldn't tell it apart when A/B switching against the Rega DAC (!).

The Rega is almost twice the price so that is a definite sign of the Mini-i's bang-for-buck. Plus the headphone amp, preamp and remote control make it pretty versatile. I'm pushing for more reviews across various magazines to try and increase the awareness of it, would be good for it to become the go-to DAC at the pricepoint - not forgetting Stan's DAC which is very good also.

Werner Berghofer
17-07-2011, 07:32
Tim,

I really don't like that red display

me too. Even if this DAC sounds good, for me the red display would be unacceptable.

Werner.

Yoga
17-07-2011, 10:47
Tim,

me too. Even if this DAC sounds good, for me the red display would be unacceptable.

Werner.

When used as a desktop unit, and hence lower than the line of sight, the red display bleeds/glows. Not optimal, but I could live with it, considering that it's the audio performance I would be investing in.

AmpCity
17-07-2011, 19:09
Tim,

Werner.

I do see how that could be bothersome, especially if it was directly in your line of sight. It is not too bad in person though.

I'll mention it to Matrix and see if the next revision could include an option to turn the screen on/off or adjust the brightness.

Butuz
03-10-2011, 21:13
Well my dad purchased a mini-i a couple of weeks ago and i can indeed confirm that it is a caiman killer.

I am very very impressed with the build quality and the sound quality.

Using as a pre amp straight into my power amp via balanced xlr connectors it takes my passive modded caiman and beats it upside the head into a bloody pulp. It really is that good. Its a night and day difference that is immediatly percievable as soon as you pop a cd in. My findings have been confirmed by my dad and also a cople of friends who were very impressed with it.

However one thing i have noticed with my dads mini i is that it pops and clicks alot through the speakers when changing inputs or turning it on and off, or even when ejecting the cd tray.

Is like something isnt grounded properly?

Zainul, have you ever heared of this before?? It does it on my system and my dads sustem on several different amps cd players and cables?

On my dads system its fairly quiet but on my system its quite loud. Very annoying.

Cheers

Butuz

StanleyB
04-10-2011, 08:13
However one thing i have noticed with my dads mini i is that it pops and clicks alot through the speakers when changing inputs or turning it on and off, or even when ejecting the cd tray.
Is it using a WM8804 or WM8805 receiver chip?

Butuz
04-10-2011, 10:12
Hi Stan. Not 100% but from the internal photos I've seen it seems to be using an AKM AK4113VF.

I could be wrong though as I have not opened my dads up.

He has contacted ampcity directly so hopefully will have a resolution soon.

Thanks for the reply Stan.

Butuz

AmpCity
05-02-2012, 17:03
Way to bring up an old thread. Might be worthwhile mentioning the fact that the 'clicking' issue has been resolved, all future units will be free from it!

Oh and thanks for your patience, Butuz. You can imagine how these things are, the constant back and forth revisions :doh:

I know you like the sound of the thing, what are your thoughts on a review? Would be great to have a fully fledged writeup on AoS. Not to worry if time is limited.

Zain