PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for pairing a set of floor standers to my MF set up.

Norvass
23-04-2011, 17:15
I am bit of a sleeper on this site and haven't made a contribution yet. However the site has helped me make some decisions especially in choosing a DAC. I recently bought a Beresford Caiman Gator and whilst burning it in, one of my power amps went loud and gave up the ghost. I have an MF X-Pre-Amp, X-LP and two X-A50s. At the present John Sampson of JS Audio Repairs is upgrading the MF X-Pre-Amp, the X-LP and the two X-A50s. John has promised me that the upgrades will give me a remarkable system. Once the MF set is returned I won't be able to make maximise use of them as my present speakers are a pair of German made Rogers LS3A stand mounts purchased (from John Bell of Royal HiFi). I did have a set of Spendor BC1s and after a bit of a contretemps with my wife, she had banned my rather tatty Spendor BC1s - but wonderful sounding - from the living room. Following the BC1s the Rogers are a bit of a damp squib. I would love something like a PMC OB1i /FB1i or a ProAc D18 or D28 all have been “listened to” at various shows. In the last 20 years designs of floor stands have changed and they have become slimmer. So here is my question. Can I find that BC1 sound in a slimmed down floor stand loudspeaker? Does any one have any ideas or suggestions....?
Adrian

Tim
23-04-2011, 17:27
Adrian, you are going to get asked to pop over to the forum welcome area by a Mod shortly, but if that's the sound you want I have one word for you..... Harbeth.
Just my 2 cents worth :)

www.harbeth.co.uk (http://www.harbeth.co.uk/uk/index.php)

(and welcome to AoS)

John
23-04-2011, 17:59
Before we help it be great if you popped in the welcome section and introduce yourself
Cheers

Norvass
23-04-2011, 20:41
Sorry I should have said: my music tastes wide and diverse...Pink Floyd, Status Quo, Fleetwood Mac, Mark Knopfler, Eric Clapton, Peter Gabriel, Duffy and Katie Melua to chorale works like Faure/Mozart Requiem, Beethoven, etc.. I used to sing in various chorale societies so have a wide interest in organ music, appreciate the female voice and enjoy piano recitals. My previous BC1s were outstanding with piano. The listening room is 25 ft long and 13ft wide with windows at each end and it has a carpeted concrete floor with two sofas and a chair.

Tarzan
23-04-2011, 21:01
Have you heard Harbeths do piano?:eyebrows:

audio39
23-04-2011, 21:10
Sorry I should have said: my music tastes wide and diverse...Pink Floyd, Status Quo, Fleetwood Mac, Mark Knopfler, Eric Clapton, Peter Gabriel, Duffy and Katie Melua to chorale works like Faure/Mozart Requiem, Beethoven, etc.. I used to sing in various chorale societies so have a wide interest in organ music, appreciate the female voice and enjoy piano recitals. My previous BC1s were outstanding with piano. The listening room is 25 ft long and 13ft wide with windows at each end and it has a carpeted concrete floor with two sofas and a chair.

Your music interests are similar to my own, and your room size is near to identical to my own (mine is 14'-6" x 25'). I have Harbeth M40's and could not be happier.

Vocals are scary real, I love Andrea Corr's voice, and through the Harbeths her voice is rendered as though she were in the room.

I also enjoy Zeppelin and the like, and the big Harbeths will deliver in spades...in fact they just do everything right.

Based on the info you have provided I would expect that the big Harbeths would make you very happy.

Rick.

John
24-04-2011, 04:08
IF you feeling a bit brave and want to head towards Marco land in terms of realism and resolution then perhaps a pair of Tannoy Lancasters

http://www.audiogold.co.uk/catalogue/used-audio-sales/loudspeakers/tannoy-lancaster-15-monitor-golds/p_1308.html
They would work well in your room They might need work with the crossover (not sure as not heard thm but Marco would point you in the right direction here).
What you be getting is speakers that are truly world class

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2795&highlight=tannoy+crossovers+marco

I heard Marcos and they very good

Alex_UK
24-04-2011, 17:37
Well you haven't mentioned budget... But if you like the Spendor sound, and want something floorstanding and slim, then the Spendor S6 (or E version) or possibly the S8 second-hand will be around the £1k mark - the current mid-range A6 is around £2k brand new - but a "mint" pair on eBay for £1279 if oak is suitable... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SPENDOR-A6-LOUDSPEAKERS-IN-OAK-FINISH_W0QQitemZ330547256999QQcmdZViewItem?rvr_id= 227198233964&rvr_id=227198233964&cguid=3b5830e31280a0aad5b225b2fe2158d0#ht_500wt_11 56 I wasn't overly impressed with the miniature 5's I heard, but the 6 or 8 could well be the answer if the budget will allow.

I wouldn't disagree with the Harbeth recommendation (Spendor & Harbeth have a very similar "sonic signature") but Harbeth don't do slim floorstanders...

Norvass
25-04-2011, 19:39
I was thinking of Spendor A6 or A9s too. I could go up to £1500 and could go even higher if there was a good VFM deal with a great speaker. I have this week off so I am off to a local dealer to hear some Spendors and PMCs tomorrow. I would rather buy secondhand

John
26-04-2011, 06:40
That how much it cost me to build my open baffles tryuly staggering sound, with your room that would give u amazing sound In a different class to everything else mentioned But they quite big so not everyone tastes