PDA

View Full Version : Three SF Books That Should Be Filmed

MartinT
22-04-2011, 18:34
My three nominations for books that should be filmed all feature huge scope, the kind of SF storytelling from an author that really lights my fire and the visualisation that makes me think it is filmable:

- Pushing Ice by Alastair Reynolds, massive scope, huge tracts of time and a rivalry that centres the story arc.

- Excession by Ian M. Banks (or any of his Culture novels), involving some of his most interesting characters, the ships themselves with their evocative names.

- Manifold Time by Stephen Baxter (Mark should appreciate this as it involves his hero, Reid Malenfant), the only author apart from Reynolds who can write about truly huge lengths of time.

Reid Malenfant
22-04-2011, 19:00
- Manifold Time by Stephen Baxter (Mark should appreciate this as it involves his hero, Reid Malenfant), the only author apart from Reynolds who can write about truly huge lengths of time.
Ah, i'm getting to know you a little better Martin ;)

From the same Manifold trilogy i'd have to pick Space which is just about one of my favourite books ever, out of the Manifold series Time is a very close second. Origin just didn't quite cut the mustard i'm afraid, well not for me.. Space is about mans first contact with alien races & how things wouldn't quite be so benign, it also came up with a good answer for the Fermi Paradox (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermi_paradox)

My second & third choices would have to be from yet another trilogy with the first two novels blazing away & the third being yet another turkey :rolleyes: Bring forth Greg Bears' Eon & Eternity which are both dramatic in scope & pretty mindbending to boot. These bring the future to the near present in a causal loop which results in global nuclear war & the aftermath while also dealing with a 50 mile asteroid that appears from no-where out on the edge of the solar system & enters earth orbit. This asteroid was hollowed out by humans in the future & used as a starship to travel to a star system with a habitable planet, things get interesting though :eyebrows:

Martin, if you haven't read Eon & Eternity then DO!

I'm sure i'll think of quite a few more books that deserve films to be made, right now though those 3 i'd die to see if done right :eyebrows:

MartinT
22-04-2011, 19:14
I've read Eon but not Eternity. I shall look it up although I have a fair pile of books to get through.

Have you read any Reynolds? Strongly recommended.

I have been fascinated with the Fermi Paradox for years. My personal view is that other life in the universe is inevitable - there is nothing special or unique about us. Therefore the distances and time involved have masked their presence to us. Great to debate, though :)

Ali Tait
22-04-2011, 19:15
Agree with the above. I'd add Peter Hamilton's books too.

Beechwoods
22-04-2011, 19:21
Clifford D Simak, City

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_(Clifford_D._Simak_novel)

MartinT
22-04-2011, 19:24
I read lots of Simak when I was younger. The novel of his that has always stuck in my mind is Way Station.

Reid Malenfant
22-04-2011, 19:28
I've read Eon but not Eternity. I shall look it up although I have a fair pile of books to get through.

Have you read any Reynolds? Strongly recommended.

I have been fascinated with the Fermi Paradox for years. My personal view is that other life in the universe is inevitable - there is nothing special or unique about us. Therefore the distances and time involved have masked their presence to us. Great to debate, though :)
Oh yes, do read Eternity :) It's a little more convoluted as the lady that tried to reach back to Earth (Patricia Vasquez) landed on an alternate earth :eyebrows:

I'm not sure about Reynolds, i'll look at what i have & possibly expand my collection once again :doh:

Yeah, we aren't alone, life establishes itself just as soon as it can. The question is are we the only intelligent life is more interesting. If you read Space you'll understand why shutting the f*ck up & not broadcasting radio & TV is a superb idea :lol: But i'm sure you have & know...

Hope both you & Ali have a good easter :)

Hold up... Reynolds, are some of his books near on 1000 pages? If so i have a few but haven't got there yet (man they are thick) :eek:

Ali Tait
22-04-2011, 19:55
Cheers Mark, all the best.

MartinT
22-04-2011, 20:02
If you have Century Rain, Pushing Ice or Revelation Space, try one of them first.

And a happy and peaceful Easter to you all :)

Ali Tait
22-04-2011, 20:05
Yep,agreed,they are all great books.

Reid Malenfant
22-04-2011, 20:13
If you have Century Rain, Pushing Ice or Revelation Space, try one of them first.

And a happy and peaceful Easter to you all :)
Revelation Space kind of rings a bell ;)

That'll be my next read (if i have it) after Vernor Vinge - Across realtime which is both of these books! The Peace War & Marooned In Realtime a superb read!

Seriously recommended & once again i'd love to see them as films :)

Reid Malenfant
22-04-2011, 21:16
Oh gosh, Ken Macleod The Star Fraction as well as The Stone Canal & The Cassini Division

I'm dieing yet again thinking about it :eyebrows:

Reid Malenfant
22-04-2011, 23:06
Isaac Asimov.... I'll have to pass at three though... :lolsign:

Prelude To Foundation, Forward The Foundation, Foundation, Foundation & Empire, Second Foundation, Foundations Edge, Foundation & Earth as well as the three B's contribution to the series... Brin, Bear & Benford ;)

Frankly this could make an epic series of blu rays, 10 films :eek:

It just needs to be done correctly & it'd be superb :cool:

Meanwhile i'm seriously shaken & stired ;)

synsei
23-04-2011, 00:39
Oh yes, do read Eternity :) It's a little more convoluted as the lady that tried to reach back to Earth (Patricia Vasquez) landed on an alternate earth :eyebrows:

I'm not sure about Reynolds, i'll look at what i have & possibly expand my collection once again :doh:

Yeah, we aren't alone, life establishes itself just as soon as it can. The question is are we the only intelligent life is more interesting. If you read Space you'll understand why shutting the f*ck up & not broadcasting radio & TV is a superb idea :lol: But i'm sure you have & know...

Hope both you & Ali have a good easter :)

Hold up... Reynolds, are some of his books near on 1000 pages? If so i have a few but haven't got there yet (man they are thick) :eek:

Greg Bears 'The Forge Of God' deals with the same concept, a truly stunning book that will bring tears to your eyes towards the end. Interestingly, I've spoken to Greg on the forum on his website and he says 'FoG' and its sequel Anvil Of Stars has been optioned by New Line. He also dropped a huge hint that Peter Jackson is interested in the project, although this was some time ago. :cool:

Another interesting movie option would be Patrick Tilley's book, 'Mission'. http://www.patrick-tilley.com/mission/index.php

Reid Malenfant
23-04-2011, 10:37
Forge of God is another good one yes, i wasn't so taken with Anvil of stars though as it seemed to take quite a while to get going imo.

Just remembered one of the best trilogies i can recall ;)

Kim Stanley Robinsons' Red Mars, Green Mars & Blue Mars. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_trilogy) Those would be epic as films :cool:

MartinT
23-04-2011, 11:40
I have to add Downbelow Station by C. J. Cherryh as an absolute epic in her Alliance-Union universe series, about a space station caught up in a war no-one seems to want. The characters are well-formed and Cherryh's action sequences are as good as any in her Merchanter series.

Spectral Morn
24-05-2011, 14:45
Why limit it to just three?

Childhoods End - Arthur C Clark

Rendezvous With Rama - Arthur C Clarke

Kushiel's Dart - Jacqueline Carey...more fantasy than Sci Fi.

Footfall - Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle

Darkness Weaves - Karl Edward Wagner

At the Mountains of Madness - Hp Lovecraft (sadly now not being made :steam:)

2012 - Whitley Striber

I will add more as and when they come to me.

Regards D S D L

Spectral Morn
24-05-2011, 14:46
I have to add Downbelow Station by C. J. Cherryh as an absolute epic in her Alliance-Union universe series, about a space station caught up in a war no-one seems to want. The characters are well-formed and Cherryh's action sequences are as good as any in her Merchanter series.

Sounds a bit like Babylon 5.

Regards D S D L

RochaCullen
24-05-2011, 16:02

I'd never heard of the Fermi Paradox up until reading this thread. Read up on it there. I recently heard an interview with a bloke who was part of the SETI group, but who has in recent years distanced himself from them, declaring their search to be futile (I originally typed "pointless", but I reconsidered given if there is one thing SETI know about is how to pick a point).

His reasoning was quite sensible and very simple: We are looking for Radio transmissions blasted at us from other civilizations. But he says such an expectation would be predicated on they're knowing we are here, i.e., that they have intercepted and are now responding to transmissions we have produced (this seems to imply directionality of signal :scratch:). Anyway, his point is that we have only been declaring our presence within space for about 100 years via our radio transmissions, and given our galaxy is 100,000 light years across, it will be a long time before the areas of space SETI are monitoring will ever know we are here in order for them to respond.

Covenant
24-05-2011, 18:20
Stand on Zanzibar-John Brunner
Lord Fouls Bane-Stephen Donaldson (followed by the other nine in the series!)
The Stainless Steel Rat-Harry Harrison

Techno Commander
24-05-2011, 21:26
Friday - Robert Heinlein
The Ice Schooner - Michael Moorcock

Spectral Morn
24-05-2011, 22:18
Friday - Robert Heinlein

Excellent book. Hows about......

Stormbringer (any of the Elric books) - Michael Moorcock

The Runestaff series - Michael Moorcock

Regards D S D L

Techno Commander
24-05-2011, 22:27
If I was going to choose another Moorcok book, it would have to be the Corum novels.

howlindawg
25-05-2011, 07:03
Julian May: Saga of the Exiles.

OK, it's four books... so shoot me! ;)

Ali Tait
25-05-2011, 09:30
Friday - Robert Heinlein

Agree about Friday- great book. The Number Of The Beast would be a good one I think, as would Time Enough For Love. Red Planet too!

YNWaN
25-05-2011, 10:06
'The dancers at the end of time' by Michael Moorcock

Rare Bird
25-05-2011, 10:17
+1

Beobloke
25-05-2011, 13:30
Robert E Vardeman - The War of Powers.

Mind you, this would be a definite 18 certificate..........:lol:

Spectral Morn
25-05-2011, 16:45
If I was going to choose another Moorcok book, it would have to be the Corum novels.

Loved these too :)

The Land Leviathan was a good series. with Steam punk in vogue, I guess it might be possible to turn them into a movie.

Regards D S D L

Spectral Morn
25-05-2011, 16:52

Triple X rated of course ;)

Loved that series of books the sheer decadence.

Ok if we had talking kinky Moorcock hows about The Adventures of Catherine Cornelius and Una Person in the Twentieth Century :eek: now there's a story and a half ;)

Regards D S D L

MartinT
25-05-2011, 17:42
I love some of the suggestions here, great authors and stories. However, I question whether some of them are filmable - there's a big difference between a great book and a great film.

For instance, I really like the Jack Campbell Lost Fleet series. The space battles are very well detailed and time dilation well explained, as well as the practicalities and pitfalls of fast sub-light travel and immense closing speeds in warfare. However, Hollywood would make a mockery of it, giving the ships noises and making stupid tight turns while banking, enabling them to see across the solar system as if light travels instantaneously etc. All of the suspense of the storytelling, the vast distances involved and long periods of inactivity, would be destroyed.

Spectral Morn
25-05-2011, 20:34
I love some of the suggestions here, great authors and stories. However, I question whether some of them are filmable - there's a big difference between a great book and a great film.

For instance, I really like the Jack Campbell Lost Fleet series. The space battles are very well detailed and time dilation well explained, as well as the practicalities and pitfalls of fast sub-light travel and immense closing speeds in warfare. However, Hollywood would make a mockery of it, giving the ships noises and making stupid tight turns while banking, enabling them to see across the solar system as if light travels instantaneously etc. All of the suspense of the storytelling, the vast distances involved and long periods of inactivity, would be destroyed.

I have seen those books but was not sure if they were any good. Hard to write good space opera.

Regards D S D L

YNWaN
25-05-2011, 20:34
Triple X rated of course ;)

Ah yes, I guess there are some 'adult' themes.

Spectral Morn
25-05-2011, 20:35
Ah yes, I guess there are some 'adult' themes.

.....ummmmm :scratch: just a few ;) :lolsign:

Regards D S D L

YNWaN
25-05-2011, 20:37
Pah...details, details :)

Spectral Morn
25-05-2011, 21:11
Pah...details, details :)

Still it would make a good film. Get David Lynch and David Waters to direct decadency and weirdness.

Regards D S D L

Yoga
01-07-2011, 23:41
My three nominations for books that should be filmed all feature huge scope, the kind of SF storytelling from an author that really lights my fire and the visualisation that makes me think it is filmable:

- Pushing Ice by Alastair Reynolds, massive scope, huge tracts of time and a rivalry that centres the story arc.

- Excession by Ian M. Banks (or any of his Culture novels), involving some of his most interesting characters, the ships themselves with their evocative names.

I absolutely love Excession. Fancy reading that again actually. Big fan of Ian (M) Banks, especially Culture novels.

Eon is very good too.

The Rama series (Authur C. Clarke; Rendezvous with Rama, Rama II, Garden of Rama and Rama Revealed) is excellent and would make a good film series. Demolished those years ago!

The Stars my Destination is fantastic. Make sure you read it if you haven't already.

Mmmm books :¬)

Edit: I am Legend is an amazing book, too. The film(s) do not do it justice.

MartinT
02-07-2011, 10:01
Big fan of Ian (M) Banks, especially Culture novels.

Me too. I'm currently reading Surface Detail.

Macca
02-07-2011, 10:08
The Rama series (Authur C. Clarke; Rendezvous with Rama, Rama II, Garden of Rama and Rama Revealed) is excellent and would make a good film series. Demolished those years ago!

Rendezvous with Rama is coming soon!

http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0134933/

Spectral Morn
02-07-2011, 15:30
Rendezvous with Rama is coming soon!

http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0134933/

Sadly that means nothing. I will believe it when I see it.

At the mountains of Madness by HP Lovecraft was due to go into production this year. This project is now canceled because the director wanted it to be an 18 and the studio a 12A. One of my fave stories too :(:steam:

Regards D S D L

shane
02-07-2011, 18:00
How about The Fountains Of Paradise? The Space Transporter would be a pretty stunning special effect!