PDA

View Full Version : Another cartridge(Denon?)

Tarzan
20-04-2011, 22:52
Evening chaps,it is payday and l am thinking about getting the Denon DL103, but am unsure if my phono pre is up to the task, it is a Cambridge 640P and as l can use some Ortofon T5 step up with it, Techie has the stock arm, Sumiko headshell Anchromat, Isonoes etc and it sounds blooming good- so would the Denon work, cheers!:)

Batty
20-04-2011, 23:01
can't see why not, I bought one from the states for $150 plus postage

Cliff
20-04-2011, 23:53
If your arm is stock except for headshell, I would argue that you have no clue really what the deck sounds like and don't know how your current cartridge sounds in conjunction with the arm and table--and it is mostly because of the horrible stock wiring. If you r current cartridge is the Lyra, which is a bit bright(-ish), you might be thinking it is all good, because the extremely dull wire is meshing nicely with the bright cartridge. But if you now add a stock, basic 103, you might find you have a very dull combo.
My advice would be to first have the arm rewired and possibly use headshell leads of the same type and brand as the tonearm wire.
Then hear what you have and decide on cartridges.
My rewire made made MUCH more of a difference than feet have so far or than the tonearm fluid damper I have added. But the damper has made a very positive improvement balancing out the effects of the rewire.
"Bright" cartridge is not meant to denigrate but simply an easy term for description"s sake.
Cheers,
Cliff

audio39
20-04-2011, 23:53
Evening chaps,it is payday and l am thinking about getting the Denon DL103, but am unsure if my phono pre is up to the task, it is a Cambridge 640P and as l can use some Ortofon T5 step up with it, Techie has the stock arm, Sumiko headshell Anchromat, Isonoes etc and it sounds blooming good- so would the Denon work, cheers!:)

Yes.

Tarzan
21-04-2011, 10:21
Thanks for the replies chaps, do keep em coming, oh l must update my signature as the Lyra was sold a while ago:rolleyes:

DSJR
21-04-2011, 18:25
Andy, it may be worth the time spent searching for now ancient posts on here, as Marco's Denon journey started before the fancy power supplies and alternative tonearms came along.

From memory, the Sumiko shell is a pre-requisite and possibly an alternative counterweight (I believe Speedy-Steve may be able to oblige with this latter?). As for re-wiring, I think the internal wires would be acceptable for now, but the external ones are easily replaced (if you can solder) with the Van Damme type ones on ebay at least - even cheaper if you can solder and get the pro-patch mic cables and Neutrik-Rean plugs yourself. These wires are excellent for tonearm interconnects as they're flexible, well screened and SOUND GREAT - Johnnie at Audio Origami uses these wires in his external tonearm cable.

MCRU
21-04-2011, 19:57
I just ordered one from Japan, should arrive early next week, will report on how it fairs.