PDA

View Full Version : Bye-bye SL-1210... Hello Stanton ST-150?

Marco
19-04-2011, 09:17
Guys,

We know now that National Panasonic have discontinued the Techy, and thus consigned it to the history books.

However, at the back of my mind, I remembered another high-quality direct-drive T/T that I had researched when I was originally considering getting into the whole D/D malarkey, and came across it again recently when I was surfing the net, and it's this chap here:

http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/8616/1de213f789b7d65beb89842.jpg (http://img825.imageshack.us/i/1de213f789b7d65beb89842.jpg/)

Specs and info here: http://www.stantondj.com/stanton-turntables/st150.html

Doesn't that look very much like a Techy with a different badge? These are available brand new for £450 - a similar price to what the SL-1210 MKII was selling for new before it was discontinued.

Now I understand that Stanton have been making their own direct-drive motors for some time, arguably some say better than the Technics one (it certainly has more torque).

Therefore, if the motor unit is as good as (or better) than the Technics one, then what's stopping the ST-150 becoming the new SL-1210 in terms of it being a suitable donor for extensive modifying? :)

One would need to buy one, take it apart, and compare the quality of its overall construction, compared to that of the SL-1210, but looking at it above (and knowing that the motor unit is of the requisite quality), my guess is that the ST-150 has the right 'genes' for which to facilitate a similar modification programme as was carried out with the SL-1210.

Should that be the case, then the Stanton ST-150 could act as the new donor unit for extensive modifying, and so therefore vinyl enthusiasts seeking to own a top-notch D/D turntable will not be required to find second-hand SL-1200s and 1210s at (increasingly) inflated prices.....

I may buy one and have a play with it, so watch this space!

Your thoughts, gentlemen, please? :cool:

Marco.

Spectral Morn
19-04-2011, 09:22
Here weeee go again :doh: :sofa: :lol:

I have read a few similar comments on line while reading about the Technics but never having seen a Stanton in the flesh I can't really comment.

Could be interesting :popcorn:

specs taken from Stanton's website http://www.stantondj.com/turntables.html

'In creating the ST.150/STR8.150, Stanton went back to basics and re-engineered everything. These "no nonsense" turntables have everything professional DJs need, and nothing they don't. That's why the ST.150 (standard S shaped tone arm) and STR8.150 ("skip-proof" straight tone arm) are built first, and foremost with quality in mind. Both models offer durable construction designed to minimize feedback, industry-leading torque motor - up to 4.5 Kgf-cm, and an ultra-stable platter and tone arm. And with features like Key Correction, Reverse, up to 50% pitch adjustment, and S/PDIF digital outputs - the ST.150 and STR8.150 are strong contenders for the title of Turntable Supreme.Features:World's Strongest Torque Motor (4.5 Kgf-cm) Heavy Duty Steel Construction Ultra Stable Platter and Tone Arm Includes Stanton 680HP Cartridge Start/Brake Speed Adjustment Digital Output [S/PDIF] Plug straight into CD-R or computer sound card Key Correction Selectable Phono or Line Output (Key correction works on line output only) Dual Start/Stop Buttons Height Adjustable Tone Arm Reverse Play 3 speeds [33,45,78] Quartz Lock Selectable pitch control [+/-8%,+/-25%,+/-50%] Motor Off Feature Removable Target Light Adjustable Feet Includes slipmat and "L" shaped cables Includes Stanton 680HP cartridge mounted on headshell'

Both the St8 150 (different arm to St150) and St 150 have digital outputs though :scratch: not sure about that......I can see potential issues with that.

One guy on Stanton forum has done this to his......http://forums.stantondj.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=1370

Regards D S D L

freefallrob
19-04-2011, 09:23
I look forward to your findings, when my modded Numark gives up the ghost i'll be on the look out for another DD, very difficult to go back to BD after DD!

The plinths vary ALOT on the other DD's, some are much better built and more adaptable for modding than others.

DSJR
19-04-2011, 09:36
It could be made in the same factory and it would be interesting to see just how much different it is under the skin. The arm looks more "solid" as well, but this could be just cosmetic.

Marco
19-04-2011, 10:51
Hi Neil,

Yes it could be very interesting, although not for us, but for others thinking of embarking on the D/D route. I'm determined to keep the modified direct-drive T/T route in the minds of enthusiasts, and not let it die....

The Marco-boy wouldn't be happy otherwise! ;)

If I buy one, it'll simply be to have a listen for a short period, and open it up to see how it compares overall with my SL-1210. If it's not suitable, it'll just be sold as (near) new, so I doubt I'd lose much money on it.

And if it's near identical to the Techy, then we'll definitely have something very interesting on our hands! :eyebrows:

TBH, I'm rather surprised that no-one here, or on any of the other main UK forums, has mentioned the ST-150 before......

Both the St8 150 (different arm to St150) and St 150 have digital outputs though. not sure about that......I can see potential issues with that.

What do you mean by a digital output? :scratch:

One guy on Stanton forum has done this to his......http://forums.stantondj.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=1370

Interesting, but it's mostly just light tweaking he's done.

What I want to find out with the ST-150 is if there's any mileage in fitting a high quality off-board PSU, what the bearing and plinth is like, etc, to know whether it can be fundamentally improved or not, and also what it's like as standard.

Like I said, watch this space!

Marco.

Techno Commander
19-04-2011, 10:58
If you look at all the turntables designed for pro use, their layout is very similar between them all. I guess this is to make transition from one to another quick and painless. They all need the same controls and there is a limit to how many design combinations can be used whilst still maintaining ease of use.

As a piece of pro kit, there is no reason not to expect it to happily spin records for 10 hours a day every day. :) I wonder who will be first to offer aftermarket arm boards for it?

Marco
19-04-2011, 11:02
Hi Dave,

It could be made in the same factory and it would be interesting to see just how much different it is under the skin. The arm looks more "solid" as well, but this could be just cosmetic.

Indeed, although the quality of the arm is neither here nor there, as it would be getting scrapped anyway. The quality of the plinth, however, will be a very important factor, as the one in the Techy is superb. If the Stanton's is crap, it'll be a 'no go' from the off.

What intrigues me in particular is what Adam said recently about his Vestax T/T, and in some ways it being better than the SL-1200/1210s he's heard.

I suspect that the Vestax uses a Stanton motor unit, even though it's badged as 'Vestax'. I'm not sure that Vestax have the wherewithal, in terms of tooling, or the engineering prowess, to design their own direct-drive motor unit from scratch.

Yup, Rob - I'll keep you posted, too! :cool:

Marco.

Tarzan
19-04-2011, 11:02
Marco- do it do it!:)

Beobloke
19-04-2011, 11:38
What intrigues me in particular is what Adam said recently about his Newmark T/T, and in some ways it being better than the SL-1200/1210s he's heard.

Er...that'd be my small collection of VESTAX items, thankyou.

I had a Numark TT2 once and it was a steaming pile of crap. I had hoped to listen to Rob's modded one at Scalford but never made it out of my room! Frankly, I don't hold out much hope for the Stanton but look forward to your analysis.

audio39
19-04-2011, 12:04
http://shop.mapleshadestore.com/Stanton-ST-150-Turntable-Stage-II-Modified/productinfo/MODST150-2/

Marco
19-04-2011, 12:08
Hi Adam,

Lol - my mistook! :eyebrows: I shall amend this shamefull error at once!

Frankly, I don't hold out much hope for the Stanton...

Why? I'm curious...

Marco.

Reid Malenfant
19-04-2011, 12:26
Don't be surprised if the motor & bearings are in one unit ;) Every other direct drive TT i have seen apart from the Techy has a one piece motor & bearing assembly. Having not seen the guts of other Technics DD TTs i can't comment, but JVC (i have 2 different ones) & Aiwa all have the motor/bearing assembly as a single unit.

I have no idea why Technics took the route they did with the 1200 series motors but it does make them rather easy to modify :eyebrows:

Beobloke
19-04-2011, 12:57
Why? I'm curious...

Marco.

Precisely for the reason Mark gives above. I have only expereinced an STR8-150 which has the short straight arm and wasn't all that impressed with it as standard in terms of solidity and sound quality (when I was DJ-ing, unlike most, sound quality definitely DID matter!).

I am pretty sure the design is a generic Chinese-based one and on that basis, it is unlikely to be easily modifiable, although maybe I could be pleasantly surprised. Heck, even I was wrong once.......;)

Spectral Morn
19-04-2011, 13:29
Hi Neil,

Yes it could be very interesting, although not for us, but for others thinking of embarking on the D/D route. I'm determined to keep the modified direct-drive T/T route in the minds of enthusiasts, and not let it die....

The Marco-boy wouldn't be happy otherwise! ;)

If I buy one, it'll simply be to have a listen for a short period, and open it up to see how it compares overall with my SL-1210. If it's not suitable, it'll just be sold as (near) new, so I doubt I'd lose much money on it.

And if it's near identical to the Techy, then we'll definitely have something very interesting on our hands! :eyebrows:

TBH, I'm rather surprised that no-one here, or on any of the other main UK forums, has mentioned the ST-150 before......

What do you mean by a digital output? :scratch:

Interesting, but it's mostly just light tweaking he's done.

What I want to find out with the ST-150 is if there's any mileage in fitting a high quality off-board PSU, what the bearing and plinth is like, etc, to know whether it can be fundamentally improved or not, and also what it's like as standard.

Like I said, watch this space!

Marco.

Reading the specs etc there seems to be an analogue to digital converter inside these and an spidif digital output. Yes there is, Mapleshade mods mentions removing digital boards....

'Our Stage II Mod for analog purists takes several major steps beyond the above: the tonearm is wired directly to new, ultra-minimalist RCA jacks (eliminating the USB capability and bypassing several digital circuit boards in the signal path); we uncouple the vibration-causing motor supply transformer from the TT using an outboard triplepoint mounting; the AC cord is upgraded to MK2 Plus; our full Tonearm Resonance Control Kit is installed; and special vibration control measures are applied to the speed-controlling quartz oscillator.'

Regards D S D L

shane
19-04-2011, 14:38
Features:World's Strongest Torque Motor (4.5 Kgf-cm) Heavy Duty Steel Construction Ultra Stable Platter

You won't like it, Marco! :lol:

MCRU
19-04-2011, 14:52
are you seriously going to spend £450 to take it apart and risk not being able to send it back for a refund, what is that phrase again including money and sense :eek:

we belong together marco don't we!:)

freefallrob
19-04-2011, 15:31

I had a Numark TT2 once and it was a steaming pile of crap. I had hoped to listen to Rob's modded one at Scalford but never made it out of my room! Frankly, I don't hold out much hope for the Stanton but look forward to your analysis.

Don't get me wrong Adam, the Numark TT100 isn't at all the best built thing in the world, no where near the Technics SL1210 etc, but.....for £50 including the Origin Live arm plate adaptor it was to good a bargain to miss (read OL arm plate with free turntable).
It certainly required some fiddling, but for £240 all in (turntable/adaptor plate/arm/cartridge), it sounds amazing (IMO).

I don't think I'm speaking out of turn that most people at Scalford were a bit surprised, especially for the money!

colinB
19-04-2011, 16:43
When i did dj work the Stanton was considred unreliable. Pitch problems and breakdowns.

Tim
19-04-2011, 16:56
I'll be watching with interest Marco if you do buy one, I don't think it will be long before I buy myself a TT again :)

Dingdong
19-04-2011, 17:17
A quick mooch on tinternet unearthed this.

http://www.time-step.net/showthread.php?101-The-Stanton-ST.150-STR8.150-vs.-Technics-SL-1200MK2-A-Thread/page2

Marco
19-04-2011, 19:00
All interesting stuff, chaps! Just mulling over all the info......

Marco.

Alex_UK
19-04-2011, 21:04
I don't think I'm speaking out of turn that most people at Scalford were a bit surprised, especially for the money!

Sounded good to me Rob. :)

freefallrob
20-04-2011, 08:37
Ooooh, ta muchly:)

Beobloke
20-04-2011, 09:16

Exactly - I heard nothing but praise for the deck, which is why I'm sad I missed it!