PDA

View Full Version : Free Sky box

Covenant
18-04-2011, 20:51
I have just had a call from Sky who want to give me a new HD box with 500gb hard drive to replace my old one.
I have said yes but now I think there must be a catch. Is there one?

Reid Malenfant
18-04-2011, 21:17
Sorry Jerry, but i have never heard of something for nothing from someone trying to sell you something ;)

Covenant
18-04-2011, 21:26
They said I have been a loyal customer for many years (which is true). Oh well, if there is a catch you can call me a prize prat if you like :(. It gets installed on Saturday.

Reid Malenfant
18-04-2011, 21:31
Loyal customers tend to get treated worse than new ones it appears with corporations these days :scratch:

Shopping around pays dividends & you could probably work out an even better deal with Sky if they know you are looking elsewhere ;)

Covenant
18-04-2011, 22:01
I might do that once they give me the new box!

UV101
18-04-2011, 22:20
I would think that you will be tied in to another 12 month contract period if you take a new box.

Tim
18-04-2011, 22:23
I would think that you will be tied in to another 12 month contract period if you take a new box.
:exactly:

Mark Grant
18-04-2011, 22:56

Thats what I was thinking, like a free mobile phone upgrade, free but tied in for another year of direct debits.

Covenant
19-04-2011, 10:44
The guy on the phone said there was absolutely no catches, it was just a thank you. I shall examine anything I am asked to sign!

Trickie_Dickie
19-04-2011, 11:26
TOO LATE. THEY'VE GOTCHA. For another 12 months. :lol:

You did say yes to the new box offer, didn't you. That's all it takes.

Covenant
19-04-2011, 11:27
TOO LATE. THEY'VE GOTCHA. For another 12 months. :lol:

Rats!

Reid Malenfant
19-04-2011, 18:02
Here's an interesting question ;) Jerry, did you have to pay for installation of the old sky box & the box itself?

Because if you did i'd stop the engineer walking out the door with your old one as unless there is something in the small print of your contract it's your property :lol:

I used to have a service contract with British Gas that covered any part of the central heating & water system. One day i found that the power shower pump had seized so called them up & a bloke came round & fitted a new pump. As he was about to walk out the door with the old one i stopped him & said where do you think you are going with that, it's my property :ner:

Needless to say he left it & i freed it up & now have a spare working pump :cool:

You see it's a nice little earner for them, they would free the thing up like i did & sell it at a car boot or possibly fit a cheap one for a friend..

Tim
19-04-2011, 18:12
Because if you did i'd stop the engineer walking out the door with your old one as unless there is something in the small print of your contract it's your property :lol:
Brilliant.......... nice one Mark, keep hold of it and put that sucker on eBay or keep as a spare for a dark and stormy night when the other one goes bang :)

Covenant
19-04-2011, 19:21
A very good point Mark. The Sky box itself I purchased off Fleabay many moons ago and in fact have repaired it myself by replacing the power supply (chest now swells with pride).
I think I got a local firm to install the box as I had heard so many bad things about the Sky installers. So I think it is mine and I do want to keep it as the power supply inside is much better than the standard one.

Reid Malenfant
19-04-2011, 19:24
So I think it is mine and I do want to keep it as the power supply inside is much better than the standard one.
Damn right it yours in that case :lol:

Beechwoods
19-04-2011, 21:23
Some companies will replace old gear so they don't need to maintain a level of training to handle obsolete boxes. That may very well be the case with Sky (they'll have a list of who's on the old gear, and upgrade them over time so they don't have the headache when that gear goes tits-up from bad capacitors or a dodgy PSU).

It's not all bad - conspiracy theorists!

Covenant
23-04-2011, 08:41
The new Sky box was installed at 8am today! I didn't have to sign for it and they didnt take the old one. The installer said it was the 3rd free replacement he had fitted in our area but he didn't know why it was being done.
Attached is a photo-you can see how much smaller the new one is, the old one is on the floor beneath

Tim
23-04-2011, 09:28
Well that sounds like a result then :)