PDA

View Full Version : FS - offers - Linn Sondek LP12 complete

Sid and Coke
16-09-2008, 13:09
Hello folks,

I've decided to sell my Linn Sondek LP12.

What I've got:

It's a bit like the council workers broom that has lasted for years and only had 5 new heads and 6 new handles . here's a fairly recent piccy:

http://photos.imageevent.com/sidandcoke/someofmydecks/large/DSCF0145.JPG
I think that the only parts remaining from the original 1980's valhalla deck are the pre cirkus inner platter/Main bearing, (which are in excellent nick) The Stainless top plate and the cross member that the power supply mounts onto, i think everything else has been replaced, mostly by me.

I bought the deck s/h in about July 2002. It was a Afromosa Valhalla deck with Basik LVX tonearm. It had been serviced in 1999 when it had brand new Valhalla PSU, Motor, Clear Lid and suspension springs/grommets fitted.( original sales reciept available)

Since then i have done the following;

1) Had the deck stripped down and rebulit/serviced by Robert Richie Hi-Fi in Montrose, Angus. Robert replaced all of the nuts, bolts, washers, grommets, etc, for new standard Linn items during the re-build. He didn't replace the black springs as he said they were still good. ( reciept avail )

2) Replaced the Basik LVX Arm for a s/h mint Akito 2B unit ( boxed) , this is the latter one with improved bearings. I got Robert Richie to check the arm out and fit it to the deck , re-fettling the suspension with the new arm fitted. ( reciept avail). The arm works just fine still and passes the paper test, I don't believe in the swing test as it seems too drastic, however when hovering/balanced at zero i can get the arm to easily swing out to the centre spindle and back just by dialing in a slight amount of bias, with no sticking. The arm does have signs of use at the headshell as i have tried out a fair few cartridges in the last 4 or 5 years, and i always removed the arm to do this. I also serviced the lift/lower device a couple of years ago and fitted new damping fluid, i had to fit a non standard height adjustmant screw when i re-fitted the lift/lower as the threads seemed loose. It works just fine.

3) SRM Tech motor thrust bearing fitted. This is a phosphor bronze bearing housing that has an adjustable, greased ball bearing fitted to support the motor spindle, making it run smoother. I set the motor spindle to mid travel on the end float.

4) Brand new Oak plinth fitted. This is a custom design hand made by Henk De Bruyne . It is easily better than the original non corner braced item it replaced and i reckon is as good if not better than a Linn original. Fitted in Feb 2007

5) I have also done the bolt mod and used the method suggested by Richard H on PFM by bonding an M5 T-nut to the top plate and fitting a stainless steel tension bolt through one of the corner braces.

6) Brand new Hercules II power supply fitted in Nov 2006. 33 & 45 rpm at the touch of a button, some say the Herc is better than the original Valhalla....

7) I fitted a Bonded type sub chassis this month, inspected and re-set all of the suspension. It seems to bounce quite nicely.

8) The deck has had several bearing oil changes since i've had it. It currently has Audio Origami oil in it. I have the red rubber bearing cap, to stop the oil spilling out during service/transit.

9) The Lid hinges were replaced just under 3 years ago and work fine. The Lid is clear with no cracks or damage and just very fine almost invisible polishing marks on the top. These are minor swirls of love, not neglect. I think i have a couple of new front rubber pips which i will fit if i can find them.

10) Edit: I will fit an Ortofon OMxx family moving magnet cartridge with a brand new stylus.

I would prefer to the sell the whole deck as a working unit with arm and cartridge rather than break it up. And to somebody who could pick it up from my house as i don't have a packing box. I live on the east coast of Scotland near to St Andrews in Fife. I have sold record players in the past though and would pack the deck safely and securely for shipping, it will take me a bit of time to build the packing carton though.

I would also prefer for the buyer ( or their representative ) to inspect the deck so they can confirm it is as described, before paying me, which is why personal collection is better.

If you are interested contact me via PM, ask your SO's permission first though eh.
At the moment i would prefer to restrict this sale to UK addresses only, this depends on who is asking though, I'd prefer a firm sell to a forum regular abroad than bother with a UK based time waster.

I'll try to collect a few pictures together and put them into one online photo album , here are a few fairly recent ones though to give you an idea:

Just to give you folks an idea of money, i am thinking of £600 plus actual shipping costs (I don't charge for packing materials or 'handling' - whatever that is),
I ususally use www.interparcel.com for an insured and tracked international shipping service.

I will consider reasonable offers, you might be surprised at what i say yes to. Don't worry about offending me or appearing to be a cheapskate lowballer.
I'll simply decline if its not enough. I don't want to give e-bay any more money if i can help it.

I would prefer real pound notes in the hand but will consider other safe payment options -including UK cheque, UK postal Order, Bank Transfer, Cash on Collection( preferred method) , I'll even consider taking Paypal despite the fee's so you could put your credit card to good use...

Sid and Coke
17-09-2008, 09:29
Early morning bump, make me an offer, i'd like to sort this one out quickly now I've decided to sell...

Marco
17-09-2008, 10:32
Tim I think that's a steal for what is a mint, beautiful looking, and well-specified deck. And I know you really look after your gear!

Someone somewhere will snap this up soon :)

Marco.

Steve Toy
17-09-2008, 11:53
http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?p=679335#post679335

I've sent the chap an email. OK, he wants an Aro or Ekos but given the condition and modest asking price of this deck he may be very interested.

Sid and Coke
19-09-2008, 15:43
Record deck now sold pending completed payment.

I opted to sell to somebody who offered a good price and most importantly could arrange local pick up in person.

Thanks for the the other offers though.