PDA

View Full Version : Which ones are best ?

Terry
15-09-2008, 16:33
I have the choice of a couple of pairs of floor standing speakers.
This is where you come in 'Which ones are best ?'
They are B&W P6's or Focal JM Lab Chorus 714S.

Any Help appreciated !!!

Ali Tait
15-09-2008, 17:14
Can't help with the Focals,but I do have a pair of P5's.I've gone down the elctrostatic route now but I did like the B&W's when I got them.They were less "In your face" than the others like Missions that I demoed at the time,favouring a more even-handed approach,which is the kind of sound I prefer.I find the highs pretty detailed without being fatiguing,and the mid very good with the kevlar driver.They do very deep bass for the size of speaker,perhaps slightly on the ponderous side compared to the speed of mid and top,but this can be controlled if it's too much in your room by siting them on spiked platforms and/or stopping up the ports with foam etc.I have the P5's installed at my girlfriend's place so still listen to them regularly.A very good speaker IMHO,though far surpassed to my ears by my statics now.Can you get the chance to listen to both at home? As ever,the final arbiter must be your ears.The room makes a huge difference to the sound you will get,so you really need to hear them at home in your room with your kit before deciding.

Terry
15-09-2008, 17:22
Thanks for your thoughts on this one.
Unfortunaly i can't get them home to listem to them first as you have said, so that is why i thought i would ask if anyone knew either speaker and there positives and negatives.
Keep em coming !!! :)

Steve Toy
16-09-2008, 00:10
Hierarchically the P6s are better than the 714s. However the final result as to which is best in your application will depend on how they perform in-situ.

If you get the chance to audition both pairs in your room and with your system then that's what you need to do.

Ali Tait
16-09-2008, 18:36
Yes,the P6 was top of the Preference range.