PDA

View Full Version : WTD high quality speakers

sonrock
14-04-2011, 20:56
Hi there

I would like to have a very good quality pair of stand mounters with sensible offer. I'm quite interested in Dyn C1 and WB Discovery at the moment. Any suggestion and advices are appreciate . Besides those, Wilson Audio Cub2, Audio Note spks are ok for me as well. Or quality floorstanders with appropriate dimension and performance in small place will be considered.

Budget is up to £3k and I have my Ruark Crusader 3 in immaculate - like new condition for trading in if possible (strongly hope). The Ruark's are 5 months old from new and working 100%, performance is far more than superb.

Thanks for looking and help!

Tim
14-04-2011, 21:11
Well you could do a lot worse than looking at the Harbeth SHL5's, very highly regarding as the best sound for under 5K and for a lot of people it's apparently a 'final destination' speaker. There are many reviews on Google and here at AoS. Priced at 2,500, so in budget with stands and can be found at http://www.radlettaudio.co.uk

It's also worth checking out the Harbeth (http://www.harbeth.co.uk/usergroup/index.php) website and forum for information on amplifiers, stands and cabling

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9961&highlight=harbeth+shl5

Harbeth Threads (http://theartofsound.net/forum/search.php?searchid=946144)

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/harbeth2/harbeth.html

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l77/leekb/IMG_2644_a.jpg

:)

sonrock
14-04-2011, 21:13
Hi Tim

Thanks for suggestion. Actually I am after s/h or ex-demo products rather than brand new ones. Therefore with the budget, I hope I can get some thing better than the Harbeth.

Regards,

Thanh

sonrock
25-04-2011, 04:47
any WB Discovery or Dynaudio C1 pls?

DSJR
25-04-2011, 08:07
Hi Tim

Thanks for suggestion. Actually I am after s/h or ex-demo products rather than brand new ones. Therefore with the budget, I hope I can get some thing better than the Harbeth.

Regards,

Thanh

Wilson Audio ANYTHING better than Harbeth? You're joking, right?

Hope you got sorted in any case.

DSJR
25-04-2011, 08:07
any WB Discovery or Dynaudio C1 pls?

You like bling with a shiny treble then? :D

John
25-04-2011, 08:08
I have a few suggestions to try out
http://www.adam-audio.com/en/home-audio/products/delta/description
Hamish has a pair and really likes them
also
http://www.madengland.com/product.loudspeaker.php?key=19&page=3
I heard the My Claptons a few times if you eyes was closed you never know these were standmounts
I used to own these (earlier model) and really enjoyed them, but not easy to get hold of in the UK
http://www.silverlineaudio.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=78
I just noted you want ex demo
The Wilsons are ok but not as special as you imagine them to be (used to own some standmounts and would easily perfer all the speakers I mentioned) But taste is subjective so do not let me put you off

sonrock
25-04-2011, 09:16
Thanks you all for suggestion. Actually my place is small therefore shl5 is quite big. Its sad when I'm quite dead on the above spks and fancy to try them out.

I'm also looking at Focal Diablo be and several stand mounters as well!

The Vinyl Adventure
25-04-2011, 09:19
Mine are the Adam Tensor epsilon
There is a pair ex dem on eBay for just over £3k
Best bit of hifi I have bought .... Made me stop worrying about amps/speakers for a long time now ... Plug in and forget type hifi, that supprises you every time you turn it on!
Also, they look nice ... So the missis has stopped moaning at me ... Which believe it or not provides a big upgrade to sound quality ;)

John
25-04-2011, 09:27
What size is your room. My room is only 4 x 3.5m and I have huge open baffles in mine that sound totally amazing

sonrock
25-04-2011, 10:00
Thanks guys!

My current place is 2.5x3.5m and I have to sit on the wide side - very close to spks. We're moving house this summer but new place which I dont know yet due to searching for now will not much bigger than the current one :(!

The Adam Tensor is active but I'm interested in passive spk at the moment Hamish.

Cheers,

Thanh

The Vinyl Adventure
25-04-2011, 13:27
No worries ... Just mentioning it because of Johns comment ...

DSJR
25-04-2011, 14:14
Apologies for my posts earlier, I rather like all Harbeths you see, they work in smaller rooms close up (much less than 2.5m) but I agree the shape isn't to everyone's tastes, although their "thin-wall" box technology has come a LONG way from my Spendors, as I think Alex(UK) would agree...

The £1200 MAD speakers did get a great review. I haven't heard them, so can't personally comment, but the designer did have access to some half decent references, so I have high hopes :)

WB speakers as a general breed do need a large big hearted amp (classic valve or warm class A stylee) and preferably a vinyl or VERY sweet digital source, I remember.

If you see any good used ones, can I suggest you consider some of the KEF Reference speakers, the dour looking ones of ten years ago before the "super tweeters" came along and took one's fillings out :) Not the best/flashiest looking, but the sonics were superb and worthy of the "Reference" name-tag IMO.

Finally, PLEASE don't EVER judge a piece of audio gear by the price tag or by the way it looks. One thing we love to find on this site are real bargains which perform way above their so-called price point. I can think of whole importer portfolio's of products which are priced for the wealthy, are marketed to be exclusive accordingly and which offer very poor real-world value - and are not always very good in the final analysis, despite their hefty price tags. Low volume bespoke and hand built gear lovingly made by talented engineers with the finest components are one thing, but an ordinary circuit, slapped full of clarity-caps, silver wiring and put in a designer case selling for many thousands of pounds really isn't the way to go - in my opinion.

Tim
25-04-2011, 14:23
Apologies for my posts earlier, I rather like all Harbeths you see, they work in smaller rooms close up (much less than 2.5m) but I agree the shape isn't to everyone's tastes, although their "thin-wall" box technology has come a LONG way from my Spendors, as I think Alex(UK) would agree...

I must admit I stepped out of this thread when he said he had 3k to spend, but wants something better than a Harbeth :scratch:

DSJR
25-04-2011, 14:28
No coment :lol:

sonrock
25-04-2011, 14:41
Thanks anyway. I said with 3k I want to buy sth s/h or ex-demo which means rrp was around 6k if I'm lucky.

I've never heard to any Harbeth even there are many good reviews about them. But in fact I'm not interested in them atm and why you insist I should buy them?

I also never said WB Disco's or Dyn C1's are better than Haberth SHL5 but I fancy to try them Now if some body has one of those and offer me with a affordable price.

Sorry if you feel wasting time, but this is not my fault when not buying the SHL5!

sonrock
25-04-2011, 14:46
Have you ever heard all of the spks under 5k then judged the SHL5's are the best? IMO different spks are different for us, therefor there is no best or worse here :(. I just want to place an ad...

John
25-04-2011, 18:02
There is not many speakers that fit your criteria to be honest, most of us have been round the block with speakers, getting this right is critical. I think the best advice is to hear as many speakers as you can and before you decide hear the one you like the best in your room. I am sorry if this is not a product answer you wanted

Tim
25-04-2011, 18:20
I've never heard to any Harbeth even there are many good reviews about them. But in fact I'm not interested in them atm and why you insist I should buy them?
:scratch:..... chill out fella, nobody's insisting you buy anything, what you decide is up to you? You asked for suggestions which I/we have given you, based on what we know and believe. If you don't agree that's totally fine and at the end of the day it's what works for you, in your room and with your ears and within your budget.

And no I haven't heard all the speakers under 5k, but to be honest I don't need to and yes you are right, there is no best and worst, because we all have differing ideas of what we want. Suggestions are just that suggestions, take from them what you will and then go listen to the ones that interest you. But if many people suggest something and you have read many good reviews as well, perhaps for you own piece of mind you should at least 'consider' what people are saying - after all it was you who asked?

Reid Malenfant
25-04-2011, 18:27
Well said :clap:

Or in other words if you aren't prepared to accept an answer don't ask a question ;)

Alex_UK
25-04-2011, 19:01
In fairness to the OP -he didn't actually say anything about wanting the best sound - just "high quality" - that probably means exquisite woodwork, exotic design and materials. The problem is that most of us on here are beyond "statement" equipment I suspect, and would rather spend less money on a plain box that sounds good, than invest in something which looks good but doesn't necessarily deliver in the sonic stakes... ;)

sonrock
25-04-2011, 19:25
thanks for everything. I asked and for sure I strongly hope receive suggestions and advices from you. however, you said when I's got 3k and want sth better than the Harbeth's then you wanted to step away, thats absolutely fine to me because we have different view about spks. I said thank you after your first post, I said my room is quite small to HB SHL5, and I said I am not really interested in them. Pls re-read your posts and my posts as well mate :(.

for others: thank you very much for all of your help but I think I will try another way to get which I am interested to. I do not hope any happened like this because just want to know who can offer one of my interests.

best regards,

Thanh

Reid Malenfant
25-04-2011, 19:34
Ok, lets up the ante here :eyebrows: If you are willing to spend up to £3000 on speakers look for a good pair of secondhand Sonus Faber Extremas, but be prepared to fork out for a power amp that'll drive them as they'll suck up what a Krell KSA250 can give em :eyebrows:

Please listen to them first but not on any amplifier, they need to be driven by a high power amp & a quality one at that as they show up the front end something rotten :eek:

They are also a work of art cabinet wise (http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=sonus+faber+extrema&hl=en&prmd=ivns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=g8y1TdWPNo2YhQewxpjkDw&sqi=2&ved=0CCAQsAQ&biw=1159&bih=638)...

sonrock
25-04-2011, 19:42
sorry Mod, I have never said I want a "looking good pair of spks" :(, all of those words were from you, sadly but its true that you imposed your thought into mine. I just say I want a quality pair of spks and actually I dont really care about the look. I think I should finish here :). Thanks for taking time reading and replying my posts! many thanks.

Welder
25-04-2011, 20:00
Sumat gone awful wrong here :scratch:

Tim
25-04-2011, 20:04
Sumat gone awful wrong here :scratch:
Lost in translation springs to mind?

DSJR
25-04-2011, 21:23
If it's more expensive it's better innit?

Shame really, but used stuff can't always be listened to.

alfie2902
25-04-2011, 23:26
Haha cool thread!

Some people don't want advice they just want you suggest what they have in mind!

Audio Notes or Snells could work well in a smallish room tight to the wall!

Marco
26-04-2011, 01:25
I think that there was also a language and/or cultural barrier..... Thanh, the guys were just trying to help :)

Marco.

sonrock
26-04-2011, 03:06
thanks for everything :), but maybe my language is not english therefore some misunderstandings occurred :(. but take a look at Alex's post: "The problem is that most of us on here are beyond "statement" equipment I suspect, and would rather spend less money on a plain box that sounds good, than invest in something which looks good but doesn't necessarily deliver in the sonic stakes... "

then I replied as above. actually I dont want to mess around as I have never done this. My purpose when starting this threads is looking for some one who has WB Disco's or Dyn C1's or sth similar like those and want to sell them to me with a sensible offer. In addition, I consider all of the suggestions and advices and really appreciate, but it doesnt mean if I am not interested in those then you said sth better than sth. Moreover, this forum likes others which are trustable in classified, thousands of people buy and sell s/h kits with no problem and they sound as good as new.

For the price, I do agree that sth more expensive will not sound better than sth cheaper, but there is a range for them - you said price point. But in different league, I am sure they sound different.

I thought I should have stopped but Marco said that then I think I should have some words. Some time it is strange if having different idea or not following suggestions are not welcome :(, but it happens every where, forums to forums.

Once again, I re-confirm that I appreciate every suggestion and advice, but I am sorry if I cannot follow those.

Thank you all!

sonrock
26-04-2011, 03:06
.............same post! G9 now.

chrism
26-04-2011, 07:35
Best standmounts that I have heard are made by Avondale Audio in Chesterfield. I think they come in at around £3k and are carbon fibre enclosures with a clever port through the stand. I have never heard such deep controlled bass from any speaker!

If interested best to speak to Les on 01246 200096 and he will let you know the specs etc.

Regards

Chris

sonrock
26-04-2011, 11:39
many thanks Chris :). I will google the spks then see.

chrism
26-04-2011, 13:02
Avondale do not show the speakers on the current website unfortunately as they are built to order. Les will send photos of them though and has some for demos if you wish to hear them.

They have curved backs and an external high quality crossover system in a milled aluminum enclosure. They look quite small 2 way speakers and its hard to believe the bass that comes from them. It is something to do with the down ported stand that he has designed.

Let us know how you go on with old Les.

Regards

Chris

sonrock
26-04-2011, 13:07
thanks Chris

I owned Totem Model 1 Sig spks before as they are very small, 4.1kg each but bass is really impressive, so I am not surprised if you described the Avondale. I will contact the shop by email and see how they say.

It is shame that I do not have a car then cannot travel so far :(. But if I am interested then I have no choice to jump in train or bus to get to the shop for a demo.

I am also looking around for a pair of Focal JMlab Diablo Utopia but the price would kill me though.

Many thanks Chris.

chrism
26-04-2011, 13:24
I am using a pair of old Focal JM Lab Electra 926's and they are very good speakers but really too big for a small room. Well built and sound great with a good amp. I bet those Utopia's sound fantastic!

Regards

Chris

sonrock
26-04-2011, 13:28
thanks Chris :). I am using Chord 1200C and CPA 3000. In the future I will upgrade to 1400E or other monoblocks when I start working after my PhD; long journey and sick hobby with audio :(

Alex_UK
26-04-2011, 20:36
Hi Thanh - I must apologise for getting the wrong end of the stick, however when you basically said "Harbeth's are not expensive enough" (which is how I interpreted it, rightly or wrongly when you said "Therefore with the budget, I hope I can get some thing better than the Harbeth.") I wrongly assumed that "better" wasn't referring to sound quality.

Without wishing to degrade my sincere apology, I would however echo the sentiment that price is by no means an indicator of sound quality - if you truly are wanting to get the best sound available for your £3,000, then I would urge you to open your mind and trust your ears, not just the words you will find with a google search, magazines or indeed forums! Of course, you may already have auditioned the speakers you have mentioned - I think this may be adding to the misunderstanding - looking back through this thread, I think now that you were specifically placing a classified "wanted" ad, rather than looking for advice on how to spend your readies. In summary - communication breakdown, I think.

Good luck with your search. :)

Marco
26-04-2011, 20:43
Time for one of these now, I think..... :grouphug:

Marco.

sonrock
27-04-2011, 02:50
Hi Alex, its ok as i'm easy :)! It was also mistake as my stupid english does not allow me to describe and axplain properly - this caused me so much time and troubles as well in my phd :(!

Some time when i'm obsessed by sth which i cannot buy by money or missed an opportunity to buy them will make things mad. In general i'm quite open mind for everything, but some time it is hard to control i have to admit. In addition, i'm a box swapper therefore i'm not sure how long the spks will stay with me, as my experience show that would be months or a year at most :(.

I'm young and interested to try as much as possible to see how the spks sound in my system - which changes all the time as well, shame on me.

With limited budget and i'm not working due to research at the moment, therefor i would like to have sth used with superb condition, especially working order, and hope can get a great bargain - the more you spend, the more you save :). However many times, due to poverty and not enough money, i had to seat there and see the spks in my shortlist gone :(. When I can earn and source the money then they have all gone, or sth more expensive which i cannot support appear on the market - i thing it happens always to many of us.

With my current budget, i cannot stretch them more as we r moving house this June and you know the money i will need to pay for the land lord + deposit + fees for agency in the first payment for atleast 6 months. In addition, wife is pregnant now and cannot work, beside i'm self-funded for my phd as an international student :(...I have to take care of my limited budget!

Finally, as I said I do not have a car therefor i cannot travel to audit for the spks above. If some one offer me a good price then i'll jump in train to a demo later then making decision. In fact, i have audited several really expensive spks like sf amati but they sound awful in the owner's system even he uses all references equipment to drive them. Matching spks and other kits in a system to get a balance abd exploit the best from the spks is not easy, in fact really difgicult and taking so long to get there. I understand and thats why i said i do agree with statement some time price means nothing and expensive equipment sounds worse than ones which are much cheaper.

Les emailed me and said Avondale spks are not made at the moment!

Thanks you all :). G9 now

woodpecker
05-05-2011, 18:17
Hi Sonrock. I thought that this forum was a cut above other hifi forums but sadly I was wrong. I feel that some of the replies you have received on here are ignorant and arrogant.
I wonder if the guy slagging off the Dynaudio Confidence C1 loudspeakers has even heard them. If he has, and concludes that they sound as he has posted on here then I reckon he might as well sell up and stick to listening to his kitchen radio.
If you have not heard the Dynaudio C1's Sonrock then do all that you can to get a demo'.
Good luck, Mark.

Reid Malenfant
05-05-2011, 18:54
Hey, don't diss a whole forum because of a single persons comments :nono:

Have a :cool: & chill out :)

sonrock
05-05-2011, 21:56
thank you Mark, sure I will do even I have purchased the MBL 121's. one friend is interested in the Dyn C1's as well and he might buy them. I will go to his place to audit them, very nice I am sure :)

Alex_UK
05-05-2011, 22:38
Hi Mark (Woodpecker) - I'm presuming you've owned (or own) or have listened to the Dynaudio Confidence C1's? Perhaps you could let us have your views on them? A brief review would be great.

One thing I can assure you of - if Dave (DSJR) has posted an opinion of them, then he most definitely has heard them (he's been around the block, you might say! ;)) - you might not agree with his assessment, but I can assure you if his view was based on anything other than personal experience he would have said so.

synsei
08-05-2011, 00:32
Hi Sonrock. I thought that this forum was a cut above other hifi forums but sadly I was wrong. I feel that some of the replies you have received on here are ignorant and arrogant.
I wonder if the guy slagging off the Dynaudio Confidence C1 loudspeakers has even heard them. If he has, and concludes that they sound as he has posted on here then I reckon he might as well sell up and stick to listening to his kitchen radio.
If you have not heard the Dynaudio C1's Sonrock then do all that you can to get a demo'.
Good luck, Mark.

Hey Mark, if you've regularly hung around this forum before actually signing up, you will absolutely know that its 'raison d'etre' is to demonstrate to us humble audiophiles that lots of wonga doesn't necessarily buy you the best sounding equipment, or the best looking for that matter. To judge the performance of a piece of hifi kit by how expensive it is, is pretty much like judging a car using the same criteria. It all depends on your needs and wants. You're hardly going to buy a Bugatti Veyron based solely on its stratospheric price tag if you have a wife + 2 1/2 kids to lug around to Tesco's on a Saturday morning. If it's performance you're after and have a few quid burning a hole in your pocket plus a family to support, you're probably going to need something like a BMW M5, Jaguar XJ or Masarati Quattroporte. It's pretty much the same with hifi equipment, but more so.

I suspect however that you happened across AoS via Google or some-such method and your first point of contact was with this thread. Instead of blasting onto a forum with all guns blazing and slagging off its entire population in your sixth post, why don't you take a little time to read some threads then maybe you will see how wrong you are. :stalks:

Thanh... If as you suggest, you are an inveterate box swapper with limited funds, you are employing entirely the wrong philosophy in regards to the purchasing of hifi equipment. Don't let the marketing jackals bully you into believing the best hifi equipment is the most expensive, because it ain't necessarily so. The fact that you do chop and change your equipment on a regular basis suggests to me that you're not happy with your purchases. This also explains why your enquiry has received some of the comments it has. Trust your ears buddy, not the price tag... :doh: