PDA

View Full Version : Compact 5.1 speaker set up

samjf
14-04-2011, 18:54
I am in the process of making my system more compact..I had some B&W dm602 s3, quad 306 power amp and yamaha processor.. I know i will not get as great a sound as the B&W but I dont think I used them to there full potential anyway :(
My husband would like a 5.1 system(for films) but I wouldnt mind a decent 2.1 as I like to play more music :) also dont want all the wires in my lounge!!!

I have looked at the Canton Movie 120mx for £200.00, the Boston soundware XS 5.1 for £260 and the Jamo a102 compact 5.1 for £230
if we go down the 5.1 route does anyone recommend any of these.
thanks
sam

Reid Malenfant
14-04-2011, 19:02
Hi Sam, before we go any further let me ask you a question :) Do any of the above play blu rays? If not are you prepared to stick with DVDs for films, also what TV do you own & is it capable of replay of HD pictures?

Sorry for asking questions but to at least attempt to give advice there are a few things we need to know ;)

samjf
14-04-2011, 19:08
Hi there..
We have a 40inch Samson HD ready TV.. We do not have a bluray player and the above I mentioned are just for the speakers with sub which i will use with a yamaha DSP-AX630SE.
Also we just use Sky movies and hope to get sky HD..
Thanks
Sam.

Reid Malenfant
14-04-2011, 19:13
Ok, i'll attempt to do some research on the systems you mentioned & the Yamaha. We might get somewhere then rather than me stabbing in the dark :lol:

I'm assuming you mean a Samsung TV, but if it takes a 1080P signal who cares who made it as long as the pic is good :cool:

samjf
14-04-2011, 19:16
lol yes samsung!!! doh....Thanks for the help..

aquapiranha
14-04-2011, 20:10
I had the AE Aego 5 system, and it was fab! really small satellites too but the sound was greaat.

HighFidelityGuy
14-04-2011, 23:44
Hi Sam,

Those Yamaha amps are good bit's of kit. I used an AX620 up until a couple of years ago. Seen as you preferably want good stereo and 5.1 performance I'd consider getting a decent pair of bookshelf speakers to use on the front L and R channels and then get some smaller satellite speakers for the centre and rears and a sub. That way you can setup one of the inputs on the amp to be 5.1 for movie and another as stereo for music and get the best of both worlds with the better front speakers. I'm sure I've seen some small satellite speakers available individually or as sets of three but I can't remember the brands off the top of my head. I'll try and find some examples. :)

samjf
16-04-2011, 07:10
Ok will have a look into those.. Thanks for the help :)

Jac Hawk
16-04-2011, 09:21
I'm a bit late but here's my advice for what it's worth, by the wat you've probably heard it before.

Go for the biggest speakers you can, in my opinion the most important in a 5.1 set up are the front 2, left and right, followed by the centre which should match the sonics of the front pair i.e. you don't want to hear a difference in the tweeters, then comes the sub . The thing is, if you have room for bookshelf speakers on stands you have a better chance of getting a system that will satisfy you both for movies and music, as far as subs go it really depends on the room, but i don't think you would go far wrong with a Rel or MJ Acoustic or even a Paradigm. For the rears it's up to you as they are really only for the effects, but if it was me i would try to get something that would match in with the rest of the system.