PDA

View Full Version : Hello

johncaul
14-04-2011, 12:08
Hello all, I recently dug an out old technics 1210 that i first bought almost 20 years ago as a mixing deck. I wanted to see if the warmth, detail and involvement I'd read you get from listening to vinyl was all it was cracked up to be. I dug out some old favourites, sat back and.... Well, the results were disappointing to say the least, muffled, ill-defined, crackly, 2 dimensional... But I'm a fiddler :eyebrows: so I started to think about how i could improve the deck. Clearly the cracked tonearm and stanton cartridge with a stylus the size of knitting needle weren't helping! So I started walking down the slippery upgrade road. An origin live tonearm, grado cartridge, ISOKinetik rewire, ISOWeight, KAB PSU and graham slee pre-amp later and the difference in sound is staggering; one thing i have noticed is the search for vinyl nirvana is horribly addictive!

Sorry I know this is a long post, but finally, if anyone's wondering about buying a record cleaner, I'd recommend it- it makes a huge difference to playback quality. The KAB record cleaner is well worth considering (I've no connection to the firm or conflicts of interest), I picked one up when I was last over in the US, but i think you can get them shipped for the USD 200 mark. It's a no brainer.

Cheers all, I'm looking forward to being a member:cool:
John

John
14-04-2011, 12:31
Welcome to Aos John
What music do you likr to listen too

Alex_UK
14-04-2011, 14:34
Hi John, and welcome from me too.

Sounds like you're having some fun with the Techie.

The KAB record cleaner is well worth considering (I've no connection to the firm or conflicts of interest), I picked one up when I was last over in the US, but i think you can get them shipped for the USD 200 mark. It's a no brainer.

That's a very interesting option - I've got a spare working Dyson in the garage, so the KAB might be a good start as a RCM... hmmmm...

What other kit do you have? And like John asked - what's your music tastes?

I'm afraid to say that not many members join here and it doesn't cost them money - not the forum itself, of course - but I fear you will inevitably be discovering a piece of kit, updgrades, cables or just music that you'll end up spending your hard earned pennies on... You've been warned! ;)

Enjoy the forum. :)

johncaul
17-04-2011, 16:46
Hi chaps, ref the KAB, it made a massive difference to the sound quality of my old house records- although probably because they were covered in greasy finger marks, had been exposed to cigarette smoke, beer etc from when i used to play out at parties. That said even my well looked after vinyl was noticeably better after i'd cleaned it. As they say- garbage in garbage out, so having a clean record defintiely seems to give your sytem a decent chance of producing something worth listening to! In terms of music, i listen to pretty much anything, from the stones to dub reggae, trance, acid house, frank sinattra, james brown and elvis. That said i don't seem to listen to much chart stuff.

Cheers
John