PDA

View Full Version : Stylus cleaning

Dingdong
13-04-2011, 07:52
There is a little bit of gunk on my needle. I think its from using the fluid with my Knosti record cleaning thingummy. I just use IPA and H2O now as that seems to do the trick.
What should I be using to clean it up? All ideas greatly welcome.

Alex_UK
13-04-2011, 09:40
I was recommended to use Audio Technica AT607 Stylus Cleaning fluid (by DSJR I think) and it does the job fine. Got mine from Harrow Audio - £8.95 delivered.

http://www.harrowaudiohifi.co.uk/products/253-audio-technica-at607-stylus-cleaner.aspx

keiths
13-04-2011, 09:45
I only very ocassionally use fluid - in my case Russ Andrews Tip Tonic - maybe once a month. I use a dry brush the rest of the time, but since I've started using my Moth record cleaning machine, I find the stylus rarely needs cleaning.

Barry
13-04-2011, 09:56
There is a little bit of gunk on my needle. I think its from using the fluid with my Knosti record cleaning thingummy. I just use IPA and H2O now as that seems to do the trick.
What should I be using to clean it up? All ideas greatly welcome.

The 'gunk' shouldn't have come as a result of record cleaning, unless the cleaning fluid was not completely vacuumed away .

To clean dirty stylii (as distinct to ones that have accumulated a little dust and fluff), I use an 'electronic' stylus cleaner having a carbon fibre pad (mine's made by Goldring) with one drop of neat IPA dropped onto the pad.

If the 'gunk' has dried on hard, you may have to use 'Magic Eraser', a tacky dense foam-like material which really does work, though you have to be careful in use, otherwise you may damage the cantelever.

In the first instance try wetting the little 'toothbrush' used to remove stylus fluff with IPA and then carefully, using diagonal strokes (from the back to the front), clean the stylus. You may find you have to do this a few times before the stylus is completely clean.

Regards

prestonchipfryer
13-04-2011, 10:34
I use an 'electronic' stylus cleaner having a carbon fibre pad (mine's made by Goldring) with one drop of neat IPA dropped onto the pad.

This is what I use as well, plus I also have an Audio Technica electronic stylus cleaner which is not as 'fierce' as the Goldring. The Goldring uses a PP9 battery opposed to the AT which is a AAA type. The Audio Technica cleaning fluid is also very good, but use sparingly.

John

Yiangos
13-04-2011, 12:16
Be extra carefull with both Audio-Technica products.The electronic stylus cleaner (not as "fierce as the goldring" ??? can anything be more fierce? lol) is a nice thought but the most candilevers disagree lol As for the AT-607 cleaning fluid you are using Alex , btw,i own both products and speak from experience,use a good magnifying glass and be very careful when you apply the fluid only to touch the tip of the stylus.This thing is so strong it can unglue the tip from the candilever.I found out about this the hard way :)

Dingdong
14-04-2011, 22:02
I found the little brush that came with my VST V. Silly me. I'd forgotten all about it. I put a liitle neat IPA on it and to the naked eye it all seems hunkydory. Thanks for your advice. I'll have a look around for one of those cleaning devices.

Thing Fish
15-04-2011, 02:48
I use the audio technica vibrating thingy but reverse one of the batteries so as to fluctuate the vibration synergy within the polarity.

Ammonite Audio
15-04-2011, 05:21
Get some green putty from Expert Stylus company, or the Missing Link's "Vinyl Passion Dust Buster" (http://www.the-missing-link.net/acsesories.htm). Both are gentle and will not dislodge a tip unless you are hamfisted or stupid. I use the green putty and it's astonishingly effective, confirmed by examining styli under a good microscope before and after cleaning.

The Grand Wazoo
15-04-2011, 07:03
Barry mentioned the Magic Eraser, which is in my armoury but you should also try the Sticky Hands - I think David (Mains Cables r Us) bought a load - he may have some still. Super cheap, works a treat.

Even allowing for postage from the USA this advert gets you 144 of 'em for less than a tenner. (I've been using them for years & I'm on my second one!
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3-Mini-Sticky-Hands-Bulk-Toys-Gr8-4-Vending-144-PCS-/260677806310?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cb19ba8e6#ht_1739wt_905

synsei
18-04-2011, 20:51
The 'gunk' shouldn't have come as a result of record cleaning, unless the cleaning fluid was not completely vacuumed away .

To clean dirty stylii (as distinct to ones that have accumulated a little dust and fluff), I use an 'electronic' stylus cleaner having a carbon fibre pad (mine's made by Goldring) with one drop of neat IPA dropped onto the pad.

If the 'gunk' has dried on hard, you may have to use 'Magic Eraser', a tacky dense foam-like material which really does work, though you have to be careful in use, otherwise you may damage the cantelever.

In the first instance try wetting the little 'toothbrush' used to remove stylus fluff with IPA and then carefully, using diagonal strokes (from the back to the front), clean the stylus. You may find you have to do this a few times before the stylus is completely clean.

Regards

The Knosti Machine is a rotating wet bath system Barry and has no vacuum facility...