PDA

View Full Version : Thorens TD160 Cartridge

Bazil
12-04-2011, 19:16
My "lick of paint" to the Thorens is nearly complete but I need a new cartridge.
It has the original arm which I think is a TP 16.
The T/T didn't cost much but is in good nick so a decent but not too expensive cartridge is needed.
Suggestions please, thanks in advance :)

DSJR
12-04-2011, 19:49
If it's the arm with large cast headshell, then I suggest the following - AT95E for cheapness or, better, an AT120E, Shure M97Xe (fine with damper in use), Pickering XV15/625 or 757S.

Grado's may need damping and the £120 models are painfully dull, sorry, "laid back." The Nagaoka's may not be stable in this arm either.

The Ortofon Red should be cool as well, but it's such a shame that the more sophisticated models cost so much more.

If you have the later arm with removable arm-wand, then the Nagaoka's could easily be considered as stability is better.

if there's any rattle in the arm bearings, this can be carefully adjusted out, but go too far and the bearings will seize solid. I've done a few and it's not difficult with care.

Finally, try to find a 160 Super mat, which is far better for this deck than the original TD160 mats were. I'm not sure about the cork or acrylic mats on the 160 series, but you never know :)

Dingdong
13-04-2011, 06:56
I've got a Shure M95ED with a bit of life left in it that you can have if you want. I don't think replacement needles cost that much if you wanted to replace it, but I've used it recently and it sounded good. But I've got a VST V and a V15 IV so it'll never get used.
PM me if interested.
I've just got a Blue Horizon mate from Marco. The improvement over the standard 160 mat was quite surprising. Now just waiting for my record clamp.

DSJR
13-04-2011, 12:55
Hope the clamp is the Michell, as anything heavier will overload the suspension.

Dingdong
13-04-2011, 14:21
It is a rather nice Michell thanks. How's your Lab 80 coming along?

DSJR
13-04-2011, 18:29
OK actually. The V15mkIV sounds great on previously underwhelming LP's but not much cop on ones I know are good :scratch:

I'm expecting too much I think - the Dual 701/AT120E is tons more listenable and the Thorens/Decca Microscanner better again.

Forgive me, I'm just playing around aimlessly right now - not used to time off after weeks of heavy emotional stuff at work :)

Bazil
14-04-2011, 17:44
It is a rather nice Michell thanks. How's your Lab 80 coming along?

Let us know what difference the clamp makes please

Dingdong
14-04-2011, 21:59
Will do. I missed the post tomorrow. Hopefully I'll pick it up tomorrow if finish work early and don't find myself on the golf course.