PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade From KEF 2005.2 Speakers

Darren Cotter
11-04-2011, 15:31
Hi All,

My current system is as follows:

Denon AVR 2805 5.1 Amp, Kef 2005.2 speakers (Kube 2 Sub), Arcam 192 CD Player, Sony BDP S760B Blu-Ray, Panasonic DMR-EX768 DVD/HDD recorder, Beresford Caiman DAC, Sky HD, and a Samsung 42" Plasma TV.

All interconnect (G1000HD, Canare LV61S for multichannel and Canare LV77S for Sub), HDMI (G1080 & G720) and mains leads are from Mark Grant.

I was looking at getting a small pair of floorstanders for the fronts, but due to space, I'm haveing to stick with "Style" speakers.

I've been thinking of these. KEF 3005SE, B&W MT-30, or the Focal Dome 5.1 system.

Any comments on my shortlist, or do you guys have any other suggestions?

Regards,

Darren

Reid Malenfant
11-04-2011, 15:34
Ummm, style speakers :rolleyes: I have only ever heard a set of the Kefs, the smaller ones. I wasn't really impressed at all tbh..

Can't you go for some small stand mount speakers? There are plenty you could buy secondhand that'd wipe the floor with the Kefs & you'd probably get something for £50 - £75 secondhand, maybe less ;)

Darren Cotter
11-04-2011, 15:44
Hi Mark,

The problem is is that one speaker must go behind some double doors against a wall, and the small stand and speaker of a "Style" package allows the door to open. With a small standmount or floorstander, the door would keep hitting the speakers. Pain I know.

Regards,

Darren

Reid Malenfant
11-04-2011, 15:44
Jesus, just looked at the price of the Kef system :eek:

Me, i'd buy 5 of these with Tannoy dual concentrics (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Maple-Dual-Concentric-Tannoy-Sensys-DCC-Centre-Speaker-/230605675592?pt=UK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudio HiFi_HiFiSpeakers&hash=item35b12b5c48) ;) Notice that they should be £300 each :eyebrows: Then get yourself a good secondhand REL sub, jobs a superb one :cool:

Reid Malenfant
11-04-2011, 15:47
Hi Mark,

The problem is is that one speaker must go behind some double doors against a wall, and the small stand and speaker of a "Style" package allows the door to open. With a small standmount or floorstander, the door would keep hitting the speakers. Pain I know.
I see, can't you do what i did once & turn the door round so it opens in the opposite direction? :scratch:

:eyebrows: Just a thought... You need to sort something out for sure :)

Reid Malenfant
11-04-2011, 15:52
Darren, can you take a picture or three to show what the problem is precisely? It'd certainly help us get a better handle on the problem chap ;)

DSJR
11-04-2011, 16:40
If you can get these cheapo Tannoys, I'd do this I think. The KEF 2005 series were fine for WTF to award 5 stars to, but the bigger series were always way better, but ignored 'cos they weren't cheap...

Darren Cotter
11-04-2011, 16:41
Hi Mark,

I've done something I should have done a while ago, and cut a piece of paper to the size of a smallish floorstander.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-Celestion-F28-Maple-Floorstanding-Speakers-/230605675700?pt=UK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudio HiFi_HiFiSpeakers&hash=item35b12b5cb4

It seems to just fit. It will be very close to the back and side walls, but it does allow the left hand double door to open enough. I may need to put some form of door stop to stop the door hitting the speaker if it's pushed open.

So I need to find a small floorstander that's no bigger than 22cm wide and 28cm deep.

Regards,

Darren

Reid Malenfant
11-04-2011, 16:50
So I need to find a small floorstander that's no bigger than 22cm wide and 28cm deep.

Regards,

Darren
Now were talking :) There must be loads out there that'll fit in that space :eyebrows: The only problem is finding a pair that roll off gradually in the bass end & are either front ported or sealed, still it shouldn't be too difficult given time ;)

Just an idea, but you could always turn a pair of those Tannoy centre speakers on there sides :lol: Trouble is they are 28cm deep & rear ported :doh:

Dingdong
11-04-2011, 18:53
I know a bloke who has a pair of Mission 773e, 77ds and a 77c1 that might do the trick;)

Darren Cotter
11-04-2011, 19:09
I know a bloke who has a pair of Mission 773e, 77ds and a 77c1 that might do the trick;)

Hi,

Can you give some more information please.

Regards,

Darren

Alex_UK
11-04-2011, 21:49
What's the budget, Darren? Heard a few pairs of small speakers at Scalford, and it has totally changed my outlook on speakers - always thought they needed to be big and low to be enjoyable, but absolutely not the case. A Sub could probably restore the lower octaves anyway - depending on how much you want to spend overall. :)

Jac Hawk
11-04-2011, 23:16
I've been using a set of mordaunt short ms45ti's on stands, they sound great, are sealed cabs and couple them with a good movie sub, rel or an mj acoustic and you'll be happy:)