PDA

View Full Version : How many people have you cooked for?

goraman
10-04-2011, 21:36
I just got done cooking and serving for 2,000 people +or- 5%!
I can't get the pictures from my phone to post them,not to happy about that.
A friend of ours dedicated food in the Sikh temple in his new daughters honer.
She came into the world 2 months early and very small but healthy,her name is Zaara.

We filled his 1/2 ton pick up with food, and last night I chopped 250 pounds of onions, 25 pounds of ginger,25 pounds of garlic 100 ponds of potato's and we made rice pudding in a pot larger than a dinning room table.

This morning I deep fried hundreds of pounds of pakodas.
We then served the never ending line of people for hours.
The sheer scale of such a thing just blows my mind.
My wife is there now helping clean.
There was Dal,rice,curry,yogurt,rice pudding,roti,salad,pakoda,chutney,ladu and chai.

Alex_UK
10-04-2011, 22:18
I think I once did a roast for 12 people! :lol:

Seriously Jeff, 2,000 - that is crazy! Good effort! :)

Tim
10-04-2011, 22:39
I used to work in a Hotel and had to run the kitchen when my brother was on holiday with his wife (the chef). Sometimes on a busy day I guess I could have had around 100~120 meals to do for the bar, but staggered over a 4 hour period. Serving 2,000 at once is not something I would ever want to do, good effort there Jeff :)

(in fact that's astonishing.... 2,000 :scratch:)

Batty
10-04-2011, 23:51
I did a bbq for 40 on a 3 burner gas barbie.

anthonyTD
11-04-2011, 08:52
Thats brilliant jeff!
a well earned rest should be in order now!
Anthony,TD...

goraman
11-04-2011, 11:44
In a Sikh temple there is always food available,always something cooking 24/7 it never closes.
serving food to the whole community is a big part of what they do.
They where the first to go to Japan and organize a kitchen. To help feed the displaced.
Sunday is there biggest day,this Sunday was not an exception it was just something to be a part of it.My friend just supplied most of the food for the one day but every person there gives alot every month to make it all happen.What they take in goes right back out to the community.Any where in the world where a Sikh temple exists if you are hungry there is food,it is free but if you have money you should give something to keep it all going.

slate
11-04-2011, 11:49
Any leftovers? oh well guess that i will just go to the market myself.

Once had a party for 32; cooked way to much rice

Reid Malenfant
11-04-2011, 11:54
Erm 2 :o :eyebrows:

Now i just cook for myself :rolleyes:

There was Dal,rice,curry,yogurt,rice pudding,roti,salad,pakoda,chutney,ladu and chai.
4179 4179

Good job i'm having a chicken curry with rice this evening :eyebrows: Mixed pepper pakoras & salad ;)

Jac Hawk
11-04-2011, 21:54
i love veg pakora with the mint yogurt and a nice well done piece of tandoori chicken, absolute heaven mmmmmmm.

Anyway the most people i've cooked for is about 20:)

goraman
11-04-2011, 22:39
My friend called me and said there turn out was larger than normal because of a big Sikh
holiday I had never heard of.The tray count was over 2000 and we used 16 25lb. bags of rice 400 LBS!!!
All the food was eaten 0 left overs.
The trays are stacked 100 high and they used more than 20 stacks.