PDA

View Full Version : RCM - Brushes

keiths
10-04-2011, 18:32
After a fairly lengthy vinyl cleaning session today, I've come to the conclusion that I really don't like the brush supplied with the Moth RCM. Its a fairly slim brush with quite long, soft bristles that has an uneven "T" shaped handle roughly fashioned from aluminium. The issues I have with it are:

1. Bristles seem too soft to do a decent job and are easily pushed apart if you use any pressure - which causes a gap in the bristles and risks areas of the lp's surface being missed

2. Sharp corners and edges to the handle that could easily damage the record - especially if the brush is being used at a low angle to 'dig' the crud out of the grooves (have wrapped a load of insulating tape around it to try and minimise this risk)

3. Irregular shape makes it awkward to grip - risk of dropping it on the record

So what I'm after is a brush that addresses the above. I've looked on the Analogue Seduction website and nothing is really jumping out at me - except maybe the Nitty Gritty bristle brush, but £25 seems a bit steep.

There's one on KAB's website (www.kabusa.com) for $19.95 that would seem to be ideal - The KAB Disksweeper - not enquired what postage from the USA would be. I guess it wouldn't attract VAT or duty as it's only £12 odd. Anyone using one of these?

What do you RCM owners use/recommend?

The Grand Wazoo
10-04-2011, 18:40
I faced much this exact problem a year or two ago. I was too much of a tight git to pay £25 for another brush too! Never did a thing about it!

MartinT
10-04-2011, 21:50
I'm still on the original brush supplied with my Clearaudio but will need to get replacement felt pads for both the brush and vacuum tube soon. I don't know whether the brush is available separately but it certainly does the job for me.

Ah, here are the spares, so maybe the brush is not available separately.
http://www.audioaffair.co.uk/Clearaudio-Matrix-Micro-Fibre-Strip-Replacements/product_696

MCRU
11-04-2011, 13:37
£25 for a brush, that is obscene, the Furutech one is £105!

keiths
11-04-2011, 14:24
£25 for a brush, that is obscene, the Furutech one is £105!

Must be made from unicorn pubes or something for that price :steam:

keiths
28-04-2011, 12:00
I went with the KAB Discsweeper brush in the end.

It's a massive improvement over the Moth-supplied brush and not outrageously priced at around £15 including delivery from the US.

lovejoy
28-04-2011, 16:58
I threw the Moth RCM brush away years ago and bought a Discwasher carbon fibre brush which was a bit of an improvement.

These days I say forget dedicated record brushes. Get down to B&Q and buy yourself some paint pads. They're a couple of quid each, they sit in the hand better than any record brush and they do a marvellous job.