PDA

View Full Version : Another bargain find at a car boot

dantheman91
10-04-2011, 14:59
Hi

Bought a pair of KEF REF 101'S for a £5 hocked up with the Pioneer SA-530 and i say paired with a cheap crapy pioneer amp they sound superb. also went to one more car boot and bought Pink floyds dsotm quadrophonic in mint condition

Jac Hawk
10-04-2011, 15:08
Saw a pair of 101's go on ebay a month or 2 back for £450, looks like you got a real bargin

Tim
10-04-2011, 15:10
Hi

Bought a pair of KEF REF 101'S for a £5 hocked up with the Pioneer SA-530 and i say paired with a cheap crapy pioneer amp they sound superb. also went to one more car boot and bought Pink floyds dsotm quadrophonic in mint condition
What boot sale was that Dan and any pics? :)

dantheman91
10-04-2011, 15:10
oh thanks for the info mate not sure what to do yet:cool:

Rare Bird
10-04-2011, 23:21
My best car boot bargin was a Moog 'Source' Synth £25, long time ago tho..

Spur07
11-04-2011, 08:24
jammy little sod :(

i've had more local skip woes recently - saw a huge 3 part valve amp/radio in metallic green languishing in one of the skips the other day. And to cap it off there was a dual TT that had been conveniently fished out and placed to one side I assume by one of the refuge workers. I do hope they're not snuffling stuff out for themselves after they told me that anyone caught taking stuff away from the recycling centre will be prosecuted for theft, including staff.

dantheman91
11-04-2011, 08:38
Sorry to hear that mate i not easy buying hi-fi from recycaling centers i remember going to the local tip a few years ago and my dad picking up loads of quality hi-fi inculing a brand new rogers cadet 3 valve amp still new and boxed he wishes he never sold it now.

dantheman91
11-04-2011, 08:39
What boot sale was that Dan and any pics? :)

Pics will be uploaded so mate i will keep you posted.

Dan

dantheman91
11-04-2011, 09:03
Pictures . more to come

dantheman91
11-04-2011, 09:07
Pictures 2.

dantheman91
11-04-2011, 09:11
covers

Beobloke
11-04-2011, 09:22
jammy little sod :(

i've had more local skip woes recently - saw a huge 3 part valve amp/radio in metallic green languishing in one of the skips the other day. And to cap it off there was a dual TT that had been conveniently fished out and placed to one side I assume by one of the refuge workers. I do hope they're not snuffling stuff out for themselves after they told me that anyone caught taking stuff away from the recycling centre will be prosecuted for theft, including staff.

Have you not asked about whether they will sell these items? My local dumps are quite happy to sell electrical gear, hence why I often leave them with more in the car than when I arrived...

DSJR
11-04-2011, 09:47
Our local recycling centre now has nothing on the side for punters to buy for peanuts. Any electrical items go in a lidded green dumper and are mostly old computer cases.

We do now have a small Cash Converters branch, but bargains there are hard to spot these days..

Rare Bird
11-04-2011, 10:38
Spitefull people around our area purposly smash things they have dumped before they get back in the car, whats a matter with em eh!

dantheman91
11-04-2011, 10:54
urm gone slightly off topic :lolsign:

Spur07
11-04-2011, 21:10
Have you not asked about whether they will sell these items? My local dumps are quite happy to sell electrical gear, hence why I often leave them with more in the car than when I arrived...

That's not a bad idea Adam, but ultimately a matter for the local council. The guys at the skip wouldn't agree to it without the appropriate authority. I keep thinking I must contact the council and make the suggestion or offer to at least to sign a contract absolving them of any responsibility for stuff going up in smoke. We've been here before haven't we, on previous threads - it's a question of health & safety rules. They're paranoid of being sued.

I joined the local Freecycle scheme and occasionally post ads asking for any vintage gear but it quite obviously isn't reaching the right people. To be honest I'm in two minds about it all - I'm not the kind of person who has the space to stockpile loads of gear but it would be nice to pop down there once a week and pull stuff out, and god knows what get thrown out down there. I've seen more than enough on my few visits to know its well worth pursuing. It won't hurt to try and persuade the council to change their policy in the interests of recycling. Failing that I could try and bribe the skip operatives - I'm convinced they're pilfering stuff for themselves :eek:

Spur07
11-04-2011, 21:12
urm gone slightly off topic :lolsign:

sorry Dan, my fault.

great find btw, i really must drag myself out of bed earlier on a sunday and get down to my local car bootie.

Rare Bird
11-04-2011, 22:42
Yeh sorry Dan, i always like the look of the '101'

Jac Hawk
11-04-2011, 22:48
I'm almost in tears here, those are exactly the same as the set my ex skiped back in the day:doh:

You don't fancy a swap do ya, i've got a lovely set of castles:eyebrows:

dantheman91
12-04-2011, 06:34
ive read see dumped some other stuff of yours aswell mate.? if that was me i would off got her arrested

dantheman91
16-04-2011, 20:00
Hooked them up to the quad this afternoon and wow the sound in just amazing for there size supfisted to say they are keepers i will use them for a while because i like them so much and on sarah mclachlan voice oh my god so neutral. also tried a few other tunes like diana krall and david gray and even phil collins dont shoot me