PDA

View Full Version : I thought I was hearing baby aliens!

The Black Adder
09-04-2011, 19:56
Yes... They are out there! - Well, something was up but maybe they were little green men trying to tell me something.

I turned my phono stage on yesterday and something very strange.. a pulsing noise, rythmic and almost like a ZX Spectrum loading. Checked everything... even turned the fridge off but the strange pulsing was still giving me grief.

After everything off in the house apart from the baby monitor I was at a loss... so as a last shot at trying to stop it I turned the baby monitor off to my amazment the aliens had Eff'ed off to another world.

So, just to let you know, baby monitors and phono stages don't really go together.

:)

Barry
09-04-2011, 20:04
Is the baby monitor 'wireless' or linked via the mains? Either way I'm not entirely surprised.

Have you ever left your mobile phone (switched on) near the record deck and/or cabling of the phono input? You can hear some strange noises if you do!

Regards

Reid Malenfant
09-04-2011, 20:07
RFI, radio frequency interference. It may be low powered but in reality it's always best to keep as far away from any radio transmitter as possible, even if it's probably less than 1 watt like that baby monitor ;)

No mobile phone here, ethernet is wired... Nothing transmitting, i think you get the picture ;)

Folkboy
09-04-2011, 20:40
What sort of baby do you have?

Marco
09-04-2011, 21:27
I think it's one of those ones with a head.

Marco.

tim_bissell
09-04-2011, 23:21
I used to hear what sounded like Russian radio late at night from my phono cables in the mid '80s (m/c cartridge) - very quiet, only with no record playing and the volume turned up - but I was in the middle of Warwickshire - just occurred to me - perhaps it was a BBC russian language service from Daventry/Rugby?

-- Tim

Welder
10-04-2011, 00:46
Marco wrote:

“I think it's one of those ones with a head.”
:lolsign:

:DWhy do I get the impression that this isn’t going to be a topic Marco will be participating in a lot.:D

Marco
10-04-2011, 06:51
Wot else is der to say? :eyebrows:

Marco.

The Black Adder
10-04-2011, 09:05
The boy has the superpoo upgrade and the girl has a very good quality super tweeter! ;)

Marco
10-04-2011, 10:22
Nice. Do they have heads, too?

Marco.

DSJR
10-04-2011, 10:49
The boy has the superpoo upgrade and the girl has a very good quality super tweeter! ;)

...and it don't get any better into teenage years either :lol:

Jac Hawk
10-04-2011, 10:57
I used to hear what sounded like Russian radio late at night from my phono cables in the mid '80s (m/c cartridge) - very quiet, only with no record playing and the volume turned up - but I was in the middle of Warwickshire - just occurred to me - perhaps it was a BBC russian language service from Daventry/Rugby?

-- Tim

Wierd, i was tinkering last weekend and i had the TT on in the background "cranked up real loud" anyway at the end of the LP i could here voices speaking Greek I think, i thought it might have been comming from outside, but no it was from my speakers.:eek:

Barry
11-04-2011, 18:00
Wierd, i was tinkering last weekend and i had the TT on in the background "cranked up real loud" anyway at the end of the LP i could here voices speaking Greek I think, i thought it might have been comming from outside, but no it was from my speakers.:eek:

That once happened to me. Between playing records, I heard a short burst of speech, even though there was nothing being played on the turntable. I looked out of the window and noticed a taxi parked outside, near the house. Most likely he had been talking on his radio and the sensitive phono input of my preamp picked it up.

A couple of ferrite beads fitted around the leads from the phono input sockets cured the problem. (Well it never occured again, but then I changed the preamp not long afterwards - for completely different reasons.)

synsei
11-04-2011, 22:53
Back in the '80's my parents ran a pub called The Bird In Hand in Northampton. Next door was the base of Nortax Taxis. On the roof they had a huge transmitter. I bought a Grado FCE+ for the Rigonda Corvette I owned at the time. Although it was an oustanding budget cart in its day, it was also one of the most sensitive radio receivers I've ever owned. It would pick up the base transmitter and any taxi transmitting from within about 300yds with absolute audiophile clarity... :eyebrows:

audio39
12-04-2011, 20:49
"I thought I was hearing baby aliens!"...

Whilst listening to my audio gear this has happened numerous times....but so far it's just been gas!!! :eyebrows: