PDA

View Full Version : Going Digital for Magazine Delivery

MartinT
09-04-2011, 11:38
I've decided to stop all paper magazines and go digital. I end up recycling hoardes of mags and I feel bad about the wasted trees. It's also more practical for me to read them on whichever machine I happen to have with me at the time: a desktop and two lappies at home, a desktop and lappy at work and an iPad.

Zinio seems to be by far the best delivery mechanism and so far I've installed it on all machines and subscribed to Stereophile and PC Pro (for work). The mags have downloaded without problems and I'm adjusting my mindset to reading them in this form. Unfortunately, Hi-Fi News seems to be behind the times and delivers in some other electronic format that I need to speak to them about.

Looking at Stereophile, it reads well and I really appreciate being able to click directly on their links, as well as go to articles from the contents page. The keyword search is also good and I shall appreciate that once I've accumulated a goodly set of the mags.

So far, so good.

prestonchipfryer
09-04-2011, 11:48
Laudable for sure. But not for me, much prefer the printed word on paper. Couldn't stand reading from a screen all the time. Bad for the old eyes in my case.

John

Tim
09-04-2011, 11:50
That's something I have been looking into Martin, always good to have a recommendation - I may just do it now :) I bought a Kindle for all my books and have given most away now, I want to cut down on waste and storage space too.

Thanks

Vinyleyes
09-04-2011, 14:37
Thanks for that Martin .. I didn't know HiFi News were doing online subs. Not bad for 20 quid .. same as hifi World ..
:cool:

Marco
09-04-2011, 14:54
Laudable for sure. But not for me, much prefer the printed word on paper. Couldn't stand reading from a screen all the time. Bad for the old eyes in my case.

I completely agree - the LESS time I spend using a bloody computer, and thus staring at one, apart from when I'm on here, the better!!

I like to lie back on the sofa with my feet up in comfort (listening to music) when I read hi-fi or music mags, not perched at a desk, and you can't do that easily with a laptop....

However, good luck with this, Martin, if that's what suits you :)

Marco.

Vinyleyes
09-04-2011, 15:30
I like to lie back on the sofa with my feet up in comfort (listening to music) when I read hi-fi or music mags, not perched at a desk, and you can't do that easily with a laptop....

Marco.

So do I ... but when you're in Gulag country WH Smiths is not too handy .. Kindle and online mags are a lifesaver ... ;) ...

Marco
09-04-2011, 16:04
Yup - I gets ya :)

That's one of the benefits of living just outside of the ONLY large town (near enough city) in the whole of North Wales (which means there is everything you need), but being far enough away to distance oneself from the local 'headbangers' - and yet also miles away from the 'rat race' of darn sarf, but of course close enough to take advantage of useful commercial/retail facilities when you need them! ;)

Marco.

Tim
09-04-2011, 16:11
Yup - I gets ya :)

That's one of the benefits of living just outside of the ONLY large town (near enough city) in the whole of North Wales (which means there is everything you need), but being far enough away to distance oneself from the local 'headbangers' - and yet also miles away from the 'rat race' of darn sarf, but of course close enough to take advantage of useful commercial/retail facilities when you need them! ;)

Marco.
Sounds like you have got the best of both worlds there Marco and North Wales is a very beautiful part of the country (and free prescriptions too ;)).

MartinT
09-04-2011, 16:55
I had all my paper mags on snail-mail subscription so proximity to a town wasn't my main concern. I found that I didn't always have the time (mostly bed-time) to get through them and some issues were going almost unread. This is an attempt to ensure that I always have them with me at work (for lunchtime reading) and when I'm away from home.

Spectral Morn
09-04-2011, 17:03

John

As someone who has an online mag it may come across as somewhat hypocritical but I am with you on this one.....give me the printed word every time. Love the touch and smell of books and paper and yes computer screens do damage your eyesight.

Regards D S D L

hifi_dave
09-04-2011, 17:50
Agree with all that but how do computer screens damage your eyesight ?

From someone who looks at a screen several hours/day.

Reid Malenfant
09-04-2011, 19:48
Agree with all that but how do computer screens damage your eyesight ?

From someone who looks at a screen several hours/day.
I'm not sure, but i can tell you for a fact that watching screens brings on some kind of ocular migraine for me since late last year :rolleyes: I don't get it reading books as books don't have a refresh rate :eyebrows:

If you look in critics corner you'll see i mentioned this & asked if it was possible to have a different skin on the site. This was granted & the darker screen is a lot easier on the eyes for me..

TONEPUB
18-04-2011, 01:40
I agree about a good book, but we've been paperless since day one and I can't see cutting down more trees for a consumer magazine.

Zinio has been a great move for us as well and we are picking up a lot of readers on the iPad.

prestonchipfryer
18-04-2011, 06:28
I agree about a good book, but we've been paperless since day one and I can't see cutting down more trees for a consumer magazine.

Well yes good from a commercial point of view, no (expensive) printing costs, etc. Just that in my situation (due to various factors) am unable to view/look at a computer screen for very long. Had to leave my newspaper career (display setting) because of blinding headaches, caused by looking at computer screens for eight to 10 hours a day.

John

MartinT
18-04-2011, 08:54
Zinio has been a great move for us as well and we are picking up a lot of readers on the iPad.

Jeff, just to be clear: your Zinio subscription works with all Zinio readers, not just iPad?

TONEPUB
26-04-2011, 20:06
Martin,

Yes it works with all Zinio readers. If you have a Zinio subscription, you can access it on computer, download from the web, read while online etc etc. The only thing we don't have yet is the smartphone reader enabled.

MartinT
26-04-2011, 20:13
Thanks, Jeff. I've just subscribed.