PDA

View Full Version : Changed magazines today, so glad i did.

biggzy
08-04-2011, 09:58
Hi all, since 1998 i have always read the What Hi-Fi mag (had a 10 year gap, started buying it again last year), so i thought i would have a change as i was sick to death of seeing a TV on every page of the mag, so i picked up Hi-Fi Choice, and im so glad i did, not a TV in sight (hence Hi-Fi Choice), proper hifi stuff in this mag, don't get me wrong, i love home cinema but the What Hi-Fi team just seem to have gone one way, the HT way, i know they still have the odd stereo seperate in there but thats just not enough.

So all i can say is thanks Hi-Fi Choice for bringing by reading back to hifi where its been absent for 10 years :cool:

Rant over...... for now,

Adam.

Alex_UK
08-04-2011, 12:56
Give Hi-Fi World & Hi-Fi News a try too, next time you are in W H Smiths.

The Vinyl Adventure
08-04-2011, 13:27
Yeah HiFi world is my fave ... so much less up its own arse than a lot of them!!
And its actually readable!

I have a what hifi downstairs that i bought in a hurry for a cart review that looked interesting ... as it turned out they managed to review no less than 4 cartridges over 1 page ... not even a double spread!
i got bored of it very quickly!

John
08-04-2011, 13:51
I think the difference between Hifi world and HIFI news these days is not so huge In the past Hifi World would pick a classic from the past and giv e you a sense of history and relate the product to now, these days its Hifi News that does this. I rarely read Hifi Choice these days and as for What Hifi who really gives a F*c*

biggzy
08-04-2011, 13:53
Thanks Alex will try those two also.

Hamish this is my point, with What Hi-Fi if its a stereo thing (thats when they actually review a bit of stereo kit) they just have a quick listen and a quick writeup, but if its AV then it gets special attention, from what i can remember back to the late 90's What Hi-Fi gave a good read as most the kit was hifi stuff, a shame really that its gone all AV, to me an AV amp cant do stereo so good, i have a Sony STR-DH810 in my living room and i would rather listen to stereo music on my little Teac ref 300 bedroom system as it does music better IMO.

Life goes on, Hi-Fi world is next i think.

Thanks guys,
Adam.

biggzy
08-04-2011, 13:55
I think the difference between Hifi world and HIFI news these days is not so huge In the past Hifi World would pick a classic from the past and give you a sense of history and relate the product to now, these days its Hifi News that does this. I rarely read Hifi Choice these days and as for What Hifi who really gives a F*c*

Thanks for this info, i love it when they pick a past classic and put it up with todays stuff ;)

Adam.

Beobloke
08-04-2011, 14:06
Thanks for this info, i love it when they pick a past classic and put it up with todays stuff ;)

Adam.

You'll like next month's Hi-Fi World then.......:eyebrows:

JazzBones
08-04-2011, 14:32
You'll like next month's Hi-Fi World then.......:eyebrows:

Adam, you're one of the better interest writers (blush) on HFW but HFN are back on form and sharing the podium with you. By the way Ken Kessler use to run a column on HFN called 'the Anachrophile' wherein he would extol the charms of olde worlde hi fi goodies. This was back in the late 70s early 80s when you were but a pubescent youngster.

By the way, why does Noel (I really do like the guy :)) find solid state amps so distasteful, as if all trannies were the audio equivalent of warts, carbuncles and the pox from hell :eek:

Jazz/Ron :piano:

MartinT
08-04-2011, 16:30
I like Kessler, he is in real life exactly like his writing - full of child-like enthusiasm for all things music and hi-fi. When I told him at a show some years ago that the live act (the rather lovely Lori Lieberman) was the best sound at the show he took it in good spirit and started repeating it to others.

hifi_dave
08-04-2011, 16:47
I can't believe that anyone would look at more than one issue of What Hi-Fi. After that, all other magazines look good...:lolsign:

MartinT
08-04-2011, 17:52
I can't believe that anyone would look at more than one issue of What Hi-Fi.

As I said elsewhere, it's for number twos in the small room.

biggzy
08-04-2011, 19:32
lol it seems what Hi-Fi is not a favorite round here then, i shall try the other mags next month.

Thanks guys,
Adam.

Alex_UK
08-04-2011, 19:41
I have defended What Hi-Fi? in the past, but not for genuine HiFi! For some of us, "gear" includes TVs, Blu-Ray, ipods, sonos type streamers, portable headphones etc., and they cover all of that - so it certainly has it's place - but not for "the pipe & slippers" folks that inhabit this forum... :eyebrows:

;)

biggzy
08-04-2011, 19:48
I have defended What Hi-Fi? in the past, but not for genuine HiFi! For some of us, "gear" includes TVs, Blu-Ray, ipods, sonos type streamers, portable headphones etc., and they cover all of that - so it certainly has it's place - but not for "the pipe & slippers" folks that inhabit this forum... :eyebrows:

;)

lol Alex im not really a "pipe & slippers" bloke but i do like Hi-Fi, i know its a good mag and it inspired me to get my Sony AV kit but i also like to see proper stereo hifi in there, and its just getting less and less these days, maybe they should have kept the What Hi-Fi as it was and also did a What Home Cinema as a seperate mag.

Adam.

Ali Tait
08-04-2011, 19:56
They are just pandering to the main interests of the buying public. You can hardly blame them for this. They are only trying to make money after all.

Tim
09-04-2011, 00:21
They are just pandering to the main interests of the buying public. You can hardly blame them for this. They are only trying to make money after all.I totally agree that they are in the business to make money, but they ceased being a credible 'Hi-fi' magazine a long time ago. It doesn't do what it says on the tin any-more - should be called What A/V and Media Player.

Peter Stockwell
13-04-2011, 07:12
I still have a subsciption to stereophool, it's absurdly cheap, US$ 27 or so for a 2 year subscription. Has some very good writers, even if the subject matter doesn't have enormous relevance.

Home made, or hand made, audio is where it's at today. You only have to look at this or the pfm forums to realise that.

Sent from my Nokia phone using Tapatalk.

MartinT
14-04-2011, 08:40
I still have a subsciption to stereophool, it's absurdly cheap, US$ 27 or so for a 2 year subscription

It's even more absurdly cheap for an electronic subscription. I find it a good read and it lasts longer (cue Fairy Liquid ad) than any other of the hi-fi mags.

DSJR
14-04-2011, 08:58

;)

WTF only seems to have TV's on the front of it now, their infamous awful dem/listening room has now become legendary thanks to internet fora and although their readership is still the highest of all the mags I understand, it's still pitifully low when compared to other male-orientated circulars out there.

hifi_dave
14-04-2011, 10:50
Their circulation is probably down to 50-60K now, which is pathetic when compared to circulation measured in 100,000's by the likes of almost any 'home' magazine, some over a million.

The other Hi-Fi mags rarely reach 10K per issue, so no wonder they need to look after their advertisers..:eek:

Marco
14-04-2011, 11:07
I'm surprised that folks who like to clutter their lives/homes with "gear"/superfluous paraphernalia need a (let's face it) 'low rent', dweebs magazine to tell them what to buy, when these days it's all on the 'net ;)

Next they'll be telling us that they read the Daily Star, or 'celebrity' rags for their 'lifestyle fix'......... :eyebrows:

So, I stand buy what I say about 'What-no Hi-fi?' - It's simply an arse-wipe for yer number twos!

Marco.

hifi_dave
14-04-2011, 20:33
Actually, it's not even suitable for that. Have you ever tried wiping your ar*e on stiff, shiny paper ?

Reid Malenfant
14-04-2011, 20:35
Actually, it's not even suitable for that. Have you ever tried wiping your ar*e on stiff, shiny paper ?
:lolsign: Reminds me of primary school :eyebrows: The bog roll was similar to greaseproof paper...

Marco
14-04-2011, 20:39
We used to have that Izal 'medicated' cack in school in the 70s.... Have you tried that stuff? I think it's still sold now, for the deranged who buy it.

I'd imagine the effect is rather similar! :eek:

Marco.

Barry
14-04-2011, 20:45
We used to have that Izal 'medicated' cack in school in the 70s.... Have you tried that stuff? I think it's still sold now, for the deranged who buy it.

I'd imagine the effect is rather similar! :eek:

Marco.

Izal is big in Switzerland. Perhaps that's why they have no sense of humour. :scratch:

Marco
14-04-2011, 20:51
And skidmarked pants!! Shlippin' and a shlidin'.... :lol:

Marco.

DSJR
15-04-2011, 08:47
On one of the John martyn tribute sites, he's reputed to have stated that he used to roll joints with the stuff in trains' toilets between venues and get high..

Rare Bird
15-04-2011, 08:57
I could show you the best way to use a milk bottle two dinner knives & a gas stove ;)

mjkelshaw
17-04-2011, 18:20
When I was in Canada in the early eighties I recall being introduced to 'hot knifeing', one night in a very high flat overlooking 'downtown' Calgary but using an electric cooker and wedging the knives into one of the spiral hob elements - happy days - and even happier nights!

Mike K

Reid Malenfant
17-04-2011, 18:31
Bloody hell, i'm surrounded by a bunch of stoners in their past lives :lolsign:

By the way, try a propane torch - hot knives in about 10 seconds :eyebrows: Then line em up :mental:

Rare Bird
17-04-2011, 18:34
:lol:

Techno Commander
17-04-2011, 22:01
Never did read What HiFi. It just appeared to be a collection of adverts and "top 10" lists for daftees.

hifi_dave
18-04-2011, 09:05
In the early days it was a good magazine but has degenerated into a mess of advertising with precious little editorial and that just bigging up the mag's advertisers.

Alex_UK
10-05-2011, 21:35
Having picked up World, News & Choice in Liverpool Street station last week, and repeating what I said a month or so back in another thread - if you haven't tried a copy of Choice in a while, then I'd suggest giving it another go (and no, I'm not on commission, related to the editor, or otherwise getting a back hander!)

4 page report on the Scalford Hall show (yes, the AoS room gets a picture and mention) an interesting article on the future of radio, 6 way group test of valve integrated amps, £1,395 - £1,895, Rega DAC review, etc - not saying it beats World or News, but it is certainly improving in my opinion. You may of course not agree, but worth giving it a read I reckon. :)

Marco
10-05-2011, 21:40
4 page report on the Scalford Hall show (yes, the AoS room gets a picture and mention)

Interesting... What did they say, Alex? :)

Marco.

Alex_UK
10-05-2011, 21:46
"Hi-fi forum The Art of Sound, presented a collaborative system fronted by a pair of vintage Celestion Ditton 66s. These were not the most beautiful speakers in attendance, but produced an impressively full-bodied and likeable sound that detailed without tipping over into ruthlessness.

They were driven by a custom valve power amplifier and sources that included a truly beautiful Nagra reel-to-reel cassette recorder and Jason Kennedy's old favourite, the Eikos CD player, complete with correctly inflated feet."

I'm sure you, Nick and Steve respectively will be happy with those comments! :)

Marco
10-05-2011, 21:54
Lol... Indeed - Nice one. I think Steve will be happy too with the comments on his Eikos :)

Is the piccy they've taken half-decent?

Marco.

Macca
10-05-2011, 21:57
Lol... Indeed - Nice one. I think Steve will be happy too with the comments on his Eikos :)

Marco.

Buy a copy yourself you deadbeat:lolsign:

Marco
10-05-2011, 21:59
Hehehe... I probably will, purely for its mention of the AoS room. Just wanted to find out first if it was worth going into town for ;)

Marco.

YNWaN
10-05-2011, 22:10
The only magazine I actually buy is Hi-Fi Critic, but I do sometimes read Plush (or bits of it).

Alex_UK
10-05-2011, 22:13

I'm sure he will be - I was a little disappointed they didn't mention that no skirting boards had been touched by cables, but you can't have everything! ;) (Sorry Steve, couldn't resist! :))

In a word - No! :lol: (about 3" x 2" - squeezing 20 pictures and 20 mini reviews wrapped in an introduction and summary onto 4 pages is always going to be an editorial challenge!)

If any of the others have printed a round-up of Scalford then I missed it - does anyone know if they did?

Marco
10-05-2011, 22:18
The only magazine I actually buy is Hi-Fi Critic, but I do sometimes read Plush (or bits of it).

Lol - I understand why you like Hi-Fi Critic (it's rather flat-earth/Naim orientated), but Plush is only really any good if you're into 'badge-fi' ;)

The 'real' enthusiast mags, as far as I'm concerned, are HFW and HFN, because I feel that they have the best handle on what most experienced audio enthusiasts are interested in. Crucially, they've realised that vintage hi-fi, valves and vinyl, are very important subjects for their target audience.

However, perhaps Choice are now rising to the challenge? :)

Marco.

Marco
10-05-2011, 22:24
In a word - No! :lol: (about 3" x 2" - squeezing 20 pictures and 20 mini reviews wrapped in an introduction and summary onto 4 pages is always going to be an editorial challenge!)

Lol - worth getting a copy though, just for the mention :)

If any of the others have printed a round-up of Scalford then I missed it - does anyone know if they did?

I've not noticed anything in HFN. HFW covered quite a bit of it on their website and in the mag, especially in Adam's column, although the AoS room didn't get a mention, bastid - he was too bloody obsessed with his Leaks! :eyebrows: :ner:

;)

Marco.

Alex_UK
10-05-2011, 22:34

I'm not sure they're there yet - not really covering vintage kit in any great depth, but they are certainly much more deserving of "Hi-fi" in the title than the "other one" I dare not speak the name of! :lol:

My point really is that if you haven't even flicked through one in W H Smiths for a year or two, you'd probably be surprised... or maybe not - but these guys all need our support, like all aspects of hi-fi these days...

Beobloke
11-05-2011, 15:27
although the AoS room didn't get a mention, bastid - he was too bloody obsessed with his Leaks! :eyebrows: :ner:

;)

Marco.

Yeah, too right. I've got no time for puny speakers with weedy 12" drivers.....:lolsign:

colinB
11-05-2011, 15:42
Never bought Plush or been interested but will be interested to see how it develops now Alan Sircom is editor. Always enjoyed his articles. No BS.

Marco
11-05-2011, 17:13
Indeed. I've no problem with Alan. But it's their obsession with 'badge-fi' that I'm not a fan of...

'Hi-fi Plush, sponsored by Absolute Sounds, whose motto is: 'we know how to empty your wallet, if you can't think for yourself and have got more money than sense!' ;)

Marco.

Marco
11-05-2011, 17:14
Yeah, too right. I've got no time for puny speakers with weedy 12" drivers.....:lolsign:

Hahaha.... Aye, the Lockwoods tell the Celests that too, when I wheel them in!! :lol:

Marco.

YNWaN
11-05-2011, 18:13
The 'real' enthusiast mags, as far as I'm concerned, are HFW and HFN, because I feel that they have the best handle on what most experienced audio enthusiasts are interested in. Crucially, they've realised that vintage hi-fi, valves and vinyl, are very important subjects for their target audience.

Marco.

Hmm.........perhaps. I read both magazines from time to time - perhaps I do not match their target demographic (although I am firmly analogue and have nothing against valve amplification).