PDA

View Full Version : Information on Goodmans Magisters

Volante
05-04-2011, 08:09
Bought a nice pair of the above off a nice chap on the well known auction place. It is the slightly later 3-way version with one rather than two tweeters. I have seen some information on the web about crossover points etc. Does anybody have any other information or experience with them. All drivers including hefty 15" woofers seem to be working well. They are big! - bigger brothers to the 12" Magnum K and SL versions! Cabinets are well made and very solid and stand on some rather dinky legs with brass-lookalike feet. Overall a very good sound, not unlike my 12" Tannoy Reds (in old style canterbury cab.) which cost a hell of a lot more although the higher ranges are not quite as good as the Tannoys. Cabinets are stuffed with quite hard foam material.
Seller's pics can be viewed here for those interested.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/58768327@N03/sets/72157626163318855

Beobloke
06-04-2011, 12:20
Nice purchase. I was watching those closely after recently selling a pair that I rescued from my local dump, on finding that the tweeters were non-working and that I desperately needed the space they were occupying! Listening to them I thought they sounded very promising if....er....a bit dull, unsurprisingly :rolleyes:

I'm afraid I don't have any crossover information but the usual caveats regarding old loudspeakers apply, namely that it would be well worth re-wiring them and replacing the capacitors and resistors in the crossover, as these are well beyond their first flush of youth.

Other than that, just make sure all the drivers are tightly bolted in (sealed cabinet = air leaks bad), sit back and enjoy a pair of loudspeakers that have a 'proper' bass driver!