PDA

View Full Version : What to do with CDs?

aquapiranha
04-04-2011, 11:07
I have for a while now been using FLAC (I have all my CD's on HDD, backed up just in case!) and I cannot really see me needing to keep the 500 or so CD's I have collected over the years. Before I put them in the loft, to be forgotten forever, has anyone any experience of selling this number of CD's? I do not want to start selling them one at a time on ebay or in the classifieds, as that seems like a lot of hassle. thanks. :)

Rare Bird
04-04-2011, 11:11
I sold a lot of CD's through AOS, it was pretty easy as most went in batches..The sale was only for CD's a had twice tho, i wouldnt sell my CD's just store them away.you will regret it steve like i did years ago...

anthonyTD
04-04-2011, 11:13
I have for a while now been using FLAC (I have all my CD's on HDD, backed up just in case!) and I cannot really see me needing to keep the 500 or so CD's I have collected over the years. Before I put them in the loft, to be forgotten forever, has anyone any experience of selling this number of CD's? I do not want to start selling them one at a time on ebay or in the classifieds, as that seems like a lot of hassle. thanks. :)

Hi Steve,
why not list them say,,,10 at a time Here on AOS ?
i am sure you will have a lot of interest!
Athony,TD...

Edit, Andre beat me to it!:eek:

Rare Bird
04-04-2011, 11:16
But be carefull with large batches as the postage across to inland UK can be unpredictable as i discovered dealing with Dalek supreme exterminator Neil :lolsign:

Alex_UK
04-04-2011, 12:27
At the risk of coming across like a jobs-worth, if you get rid of the CDs then technically you shouldn't really be keeping the digital copy. Of course I doubt there has ever been a single prosecution for it (and actually you're not even allowed to take a digital copy in the first place, whether you own the CD or not, I don't believe.)

Depends on your view of the world I guess, and we've discussed piracy on here before, which is I suppose what it would be. Me personally - I would keep the CDs and stay "legal".

Tim
04-04-2011, 13:17
That's a very good point Alex, as soon as those CD's are sold, you have no legal rights of ownership for any copies.........

I would keep them personally, as I have never stopped regretting selling my vinyl collection. Plus these days, you are only likely to get around 1~2 quid per CD privately, sell them in bulk to a dealer and this will be around 50p or less.

if you do want to shift them in bulk, I could be interested depending on what you have, but I would think it over first, as once they are gone that's it and save yourself from doing this :doh: for the rest of your life!

But that's just my 2 cents worth.... ;)

aquapiranha
04-04-2011, 13:54
I can see your point Alex, though it is hard to stomach buying something and then never actually owning it! By that rationale you should be able to give it back to the retailer and get your money back no? anyway, I have loads of pirate sorry, back up copies of other stuff anyway! £2 each = nice set of speakers :lol: Anyway, I don't want to get into a discussion about who owns it or whatever, just wondering about selling them to fund something else. Ta!

Spectral Morn
04-04-2011, 15:31
Steve

Sadly CDs have very little commercial value S/H these days (unless they are rare or collectible) as I work in a S/H bookshop and when offered CDs they don't sell for much and therefore are not bought for much. This is also true of S/H CD shops too.

I might be interested in buying some if there are titles that interest me. It would save you the posting hassle as I live within an hours drive of you. I also still have those speaker stands I was going to lend you as well.

Regards D S D L

Alex_UK
04-04-2011, 15:38
Anyway, I don't want to get into a discussion about who owns it or whatever, just wondering about selling them to fund something else. Ta!

Indeed, point taken, but I think it was right to point it out.

I tend to agree with everyone else that selling them in bulk is going to give you far less return than putting a list up here and selling them to a more interested audience at say £2-£3 each - assuming you've not got a load of Steps, S Club 7 or Aqua in there... :lol:

Wonder if there are ever any record fairs or audio jumbles in your area - could be worth taking a stall which would only cost you a day and no hassle with postage. Dunno, just a thought.

Spectral Morn
04-04-2011, 15:43
Indeed, point taken, but I think it was right to point it out.

I tend to agree with everyone else that selling them in bulk is going to give you far less return than putting a list up here and selling them to a more interested audience at say £2-£3 each - assuming you've not got a load of Steps, S Club 7 or Aqua in there... :lol:

Wonder if there are ever any record fairs or audio jumbles in your area - could be worth taking a stall which would only cost you a day and no hassle with postage. Dunno, just a thought.

Alex sadly the local record fair market has more or less died Steve would be unlikely to get the money back that renting the table would cost. When I was out of work a few years ago I looked at all these options...dead duck the lot of them.

When I was out of work back in the mid 90's I sold many Cds to keep me going but now days no value at all.....blame computer audio and MP3, digital downloads....they are to blame for CDs having no S/H value....

Regards D S D L

aquapiranha
04-04-2011, 15:47
Hi Neil. I understand what you are saying there abut the value of CD's. If I were able to unload the lot for say £1.50 or £2 each then I would do it, but I don't want to spend the rest of my days sending one or two at a time all the over the place as that would be a pain- so if that is the case they can rot in the loft! :lol:

I will try to get over to you as soon as I can but I have no car at the moment so it may be a while! thanks, Steve.

EDIT: Hi Alex, I know you were not having a go, sorry if I came over a bit dismissive, you were right to mention it. Steve

Spectral Morn
04-04-2011, 15:48
Hi Neil. I understand what you are saying there abut the value of CD's. If I were able to unload the lot for say £1.50 or £2 each then I would do it, but I don't want to spend the rest of my days sending one or two at a time all the over the place as that would be a pain- so if that is the case they can rot in the loft! :lol:

I will try to get over to you as soon as I can but I have no car at the moment so it may be a while! thanks, Steve.

PM me your address and I will come to you......

Regards D S D L

Welder
04-04-2011, 16:37
You could advertise the complete collection locally Steve.
I advertised locally to buy collections and I have seen other trade adds doing the same.
Some people who have moved from vinyl to file based and want to replace a lot of music in another format quickly may make good customers.
I bought 4 or 5 fairly small collections and moved the duplicates on through Amazon or private sale.
You don’t get per CD I’m afraid :(

aquapiranha
04-04-2011, 16:47
Yes I understand that John, though I don't think I could let them go for a pittance, it wouldn't seem right, even if they are unlikely to ever see the light of day again! :)

Tim
04-04-2011, 17:05
Yes I understand that John, though I don't think I could let them go for a pittance, it wouldn't seem right, even if they are unlikely to ever see the light of day again! :)
Their market value has plummeted recently, good for me, but for a seller not so good :( Amazon Marketplace sell many CD's for 0.01p + £1.26 postage, I have bought CD's from California for only £1.27..... madness, so that's what you are potentially facing for a lot of them, unless they are collectable. Maybe check there to see what they sell for? Unloading the lot to a private individual would seem your best chance at getting the most money for the least amount of hassle? Or as others have said here, job lots maybe and advertise?

Good luck anyway, if I lived locally I would probably have had the lot.

Pete The Cat
04-04-2011, 19:10
If you're really intent on selling I'd suggest selecting any that have above average value (Japanese pressings / out of print / promos / whatever) for individual sale, and sell the rest as large job lots with buyer to collect. That way you strike a balance betwen realising residual value and pragmatism in relation to low overall second hand value and avoiding postage aggro.

As a man with a loftful of stuff I'd still recommend keeping them anyway, they won't take up much space up there ;)

Pete

Tim
04-04-2011, 19:27
As a man with a loftful of stuff I'd still recommend keeping them anyway, they won't take up much space up there ;)

+1

aquapiranha
04-04-2011, 19:34
Thanks John / Tim / Pete. It looks like they are going to stick around gathering dust really, I can't see me selling them in ones and two's, not least because I live quite a distance from the nearest Post Office, and I will certainly not be selling them for peanuts either. Oh well thanks for the advice guys.

nat8808
12-04-2011, 02:07
That's a very good point Alex, as soon as those CD's are sold, you have no legal rights of ownership for any copies.........

You don't even have the legal right to make a copy even if you DO own the CDs, not even for your own iPod.. not in Britain anyway.

Britain has some of the worst copyright laws in terms of freedom of the individual of anywhere in the world - on a par with our liabel laws. Britain's laws favour business and big money I'm afraid, don't even get a fair-use policy - we have to buy a new copy each time.

Tim
12-04-2011, 08:14
You don't even have the legal right to make a copy even if you DO own the CDs, not even for your own iPod.. not in Britain anyway.

That's actually not correct, you can duplicate copyrighted material from CD's 'provided that you hold and own the original disc/material and it is for your own use'. The letter of the law states you can't do this, but there is an exemption if you comply with the above. This exemption ceases the moment you no longer own the original copyrighted material.

aquapiranha
25-03-2013, 23:21
Still undecided. I see people selling run of the mill discs for 2-3 pounds each on here and other forums, and I feel I might sell at maybe 10 at a time, in mangaeable quantities. I will have to suss out the price of packaging and also postage too as I do not want to be out of pocket!

:lol:

Rare Bird
25-03-2013, 23:32
I have thousands of CD's i don't want but to be honest they arnt worth enough for me to even bother

twotone
30-03-2013, 19:21
Why not 'sell' them on Amazon?

Amazon will give you a price and pay for postage, you can either get dosh or Amazon gift vouchers.

I sold nearly all of my daughter's medical books on Amazon, some to Amazon and some via Amazon, some of the books cost over £40 and we were doing well to get a tenner for them.

I did sell a photographic book for double what I paid for it but that was a one off as it was out of print.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/2080304917

aquapiranha
30-03-2013, 20:15
Why not 'sell' them on Amazon?

Amazon will give you a price and pay for postage, you can either get dosh or Amazon gift vouchers.

I sold nearly all of my daughter's medical books on Amazon, some to Amazon and some via Amazon, some of the books cost over £40 and we were doing well to get a tenner for them.

I did sell a photographic book for double what I paid for it but that was a one off as it was out of print.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/2080304917

Never thought of amazon I will have to look into that. I assume it is much the same as ebay?

Steve

twotone
31-03-2013, 16:06
Never thought of amazon I will have to look into that. I assume it is much the same as ebay?

Steve

No it's not an auction.

You can set up a seller account and a trade-in account so you can either sell your stuff second hand on an Amazon listing and amazon will give you a postage fee which is £1.20 I think for cds or you can trade the cds into Amazon who will give you a value for them and pay for the postage, you can either have cash or Amazon vouchers.

Depends on your CDs but if you have say 100 and Amazon gives you 30p per CD then you have no postal costs or you can sell them SH on Amazon's listing but you really have to sell them at the current market price or your wasting your time.

You can sell stuff for more but that depends on your reputation and who is also selling the same item and wether your item is in good condition etc.

Personally, I would always buy SH or unless the SH price was close to the new price delivered then I would always go for the new one as I have Amazon prime with free delivery but sometimes it's cheaper to buy new and pay for delivery from someone else than buying with Prime.

It takes a bit of effort but once you get started it's pretty easy and Amazon are brilliant at paying.

Best of luck.

Tony

Sorry but it looks as though Amazon don't do trade-in for CDS but they will let you sell your CDs

Here's an example

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B00001OH7V/sr=/qid=/ref=olp_tab_used?ie=UTF8&colid=&coliid=&condition=used&me=&qid=&seller=&sr=

aquapiranha
31-03-2013, 23:47
Thanks tony, I will have a look into that. I may decinde in the ned to just sell them here, if at all...:)

nat8808
02-04-2013, 19:39
Do remember that your licence to play the music goes off with the physical cds.. Actually, I remember earlier in the thread you didn't want to get into that discussion. sorry.

There's Discogs too for selling music.

Mr Kipling
02-04-2013, 21:15
You could try http://MusicMagpie.co.uk they have an ad on the tv. Don't know what sort of value they would offer. You get a price from the barcode. Think they offer free postage. I'd just as soon keep them.

icehockeyboy
20-04-2013, 10:21
You could try http://MusicMagpie.co.uk they have an ad on the tv. Don't know what sort of value they would offer. You get a price from the barcode. Think they offer free postage. I'd just as soon keep them.

I recall them paying a WHOPPING 30 pence for a CD that could have cost you around £10 to £12.

Gazjam
20-04-2013, 10:56
Best thing (and I did this recently having a clear out) is to take them to your local charity shop.
Let them make money on 'em rather than the 50p you might get from cash converters (Profiteering B'stards)

Makes you feel good too. :)

UV101
20-04-2013, 11:07
I'll be keeping all mine.......and buying more cheap as people release their right to listen to the music they purchased.

Haselsh1
20-04-2013, 14:46
I'll be keeping all mine.......and buying more cheap as people release their right to listen to the music they purchased.

Couldn't agree more

:eyebrows:

Gazjam
20-04-2013, 15:03
yup.

gariusmacus
20-04-2013, 16:13
Id def keep them why?
A) cos of the copyright thing but, mainly

B) anything that can go wrong WILL go wrong, one day when your HDD dies on you, you'll reach for your trusty back you will find that it doesn't work either??? there's no substitute for having the originals. better they gather dust and live in the loft and you never need them than to be in the situation (and ive seen it in the banking/computer industry) where all else fails and you desperately need them.

Bazil
20-04-2013, 18:16
A slightly different idea, try and get hold of a CD jukebox and use it in another room. I have a Sony 300 disc player its not that big about the size of two normal CDP's on top of each other. They did make a 400 as well plus you can piggyback them.

zygote23
20-04-2013, 20:52
Most of mine are on Discogs. If they sell they sell ....if they don't they don't and will stay in their storage crates.

As for the HDD I have a music library on the big PC with around 35K flac tracks. This is backed up to an external drive here at home. I also have three other physical backups at various points around Ireland. Only I know their location muahahah.

To be honest if the backup fails it fails. I could have a house fire and lose everything....it's just stuff after all.

Lucky for me I have a further backup in that I am cursed with an eidetic memory for music! It's all stored in my head man.