PDA

View Full Version : Bake off at Brook Towers

MCRU
03-04-2011, 19:58
To answer some questions and to maybe prove to myself a thing or 2 about system synergy, I will be conducting my own bake off (well I am calling it that anyway) between a Jelco and an SME arm. My SL1210 has the 309 installed with a Nagoaka MP150 cartridge and various up-grades, the SME sounds brilliant to my ears but I have been wondering for a while what the Jelco that others keep banging on about actally sounds like. So I bought one that has come up for sale at just the right time and the kind gent who sold it to me has an armboard to boot so a swift change over will commence early next week and comparisons will be done. Nothing else will change apart from the arms, looking forward to it immensely.

chris@panteg
03-04-2011, 20:10
Bloody hell David , is there a possibilty that your becoming a little obsessed with this Technics malarchy ;).

Actually how is the 1210/309/MP150 sounding to you ? good points and bad points if any .

Marco
03-04-2011, 20:23
Nice one, David. I also look forward to reading your opinions.

Don't forget to fit the Oyaide headshell to the Jelco (and one of Hugo's arm collars), as discussed, as both those items make a significant difference to the performance of the Jelco, particularly the headshell, as the stock one isn't overly wonderful..... You won't hear the arm properly otherwise.

However it may be that, even after all that, you might still prefer the SME - and if that proves to be the case, then you'll know you've already achieved optimal synergy :)

Marco.