PDA

View Full Version : Yaqin MC10L Amplifier

Haselsh1
03-04-2011, 08:08
There is one of these on ebay at the moment that I may well bid for as I would pay quite a bit if it was any good. Question: Is it any good...? Does anyone out there in Hi-Fi land have any experience...?

Tim
03-04-2011, 09:27
I'm not certain, but I think Marco started out with one of these or something similar?

Ali Tait
03-04-2011, 09:47
Thought you had sworn off Chinese amps?

Marco
03-04-2011, 10:36
Hi Shaun,

I had an MC100B:

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/7086/photo02pu.jpg (http://img156.imageshack.us/i/photo02pu.jpg/)

But that was before Dave was building stuff like this, made safe and compatible for UK mains, with a full warranty, and likely to sound much better, too:

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10536

So, there's simply no reason now to buy dodgy Chinese amps when Dave is supplying amps like that for such a low price! :)

Marco.

Ali Tait
03-04-2011, 10:52
Yes agreed, buy one of Dave's. You'llget a warranty too.

Haselsh1
03-04-2011, 12:50
Thought you had sworn off Chinese amps?

I had a very bad £450 experience with a brand new Chinese amplifier but this one I suspect, will be going for a song. It's either this Yaqin or an Icon Audio Stereo 20 PP at around £450 brand new.

Marco
03-04-2011, 15:15
What's wrong with Dave's amp, Shaun? I don't get why it doesn't seem to be on your shortlist :scratch:

I'm sure he'd even send you one on trial first for a short period of time. I think you should definitely entertain the notion before doing anything else.

Marco.

Tim
03-04-2011, 15:25
What's wrong with Dave's amp, Shaun? I don't get why it doesn't seem to be on your shortlist :scratch:

I'm sure he'd even send you one on trial first for a short period of time. I think you should definitely entertain the notion before doing anything else.

Marco.
+1
I agree entirely, despite being a SS guy if I was thinking of going over to valves (never say never ;)), Dave's amp would be my first port of call :)

greenhomeelectronics
03-04-2011, 16:28
Thanks for your kind words and support guys, I don't want to hijack the thread but, Shaun if you would like to get in touch maybe we could work out some sort of trial or demo.
Just to set expectations we now have the pre production unit in, I am about to press "go" on the first production run of 10. To keep prices low I am going to ship by sea - I can ship 10 by sea for the price of 1 by air. The down side is that the first lot are going to take 2 months to be made and shipped:(
After that we will hold stock over here so there should not be any delays unless demand goes crazy.
Shaun, if you feel like giving one of my amps a try please send me a PM. We will be demoing one at the Bracknell audio jumble on the 17th April.
Dave.

tubehunter
03-04-2011, 19:06
Hi Shaun,

I've owned a Yaqin MC10L for awhile, to be honest it sounded bland, dull and no balls!.
The MC100B was a different beast all together.:)
Both of these needed a buck transformer to bring the heaters and ht into operating specs. Running these without one or unmodified for our voltages and it will all end in tears.:(

Haselsh1
03-04-2011, 19:59
Thanks so much for this guys. I shall be in touch with all those concerned but for now, I have to go to bed as I'm slightly pissed and have another week of very early mornings at work (late night's home as well). Once again, many thanks. I shall be in touch, it all sounds so good.

Haselsh1
04-04-2011, 11:46
At the moment I have around £450 towards an Icon Audio Stereo 20 PP which I could afford brand new and have given up on the Yaqin that I mentioned earlier for obvious reasons. On ebay at the moment is an Audion Sterling ETSE EL34 single ended amplifier but that is £450 secondhand which I feel is just too much given that it was only £600 when new. If someone can come up with something very impressive for the same amount of money then I am always interested but my funds are strictly limited as I also have to budget for new speakers.