PDA

View Full Version : ** Platter Mat prototype testers needed **

Wakefield Turntables
02-04-2011, 18:34
Hi,

Glad to have got your attention. I'm in the process of prototyping a new platter mat and was wondering if anyone would like to trail my latest design and give me some feedback??

Many thanks

Andy

UV101
02-04-2011, 19:11
I'd be happy to!

I've currently got an acromat on my SL1200. Its got a few mods, external PSU and Low noise linear regulation. I'm using an elektra cart while my DL-103 is with Exper Stylus Co getting some treatment!

What sort of platter is it?

Pete
02-04-2011, 23:36
I would be glad to to demo it for you and give you impressions.
My system is indicated in the signature section below.
Currently using the 5mm Acromat.

Cheers
Pete

Barry
02-04-2011, 23:52
I'm looking for new platter mats for both my Thorens 124/II and EMT 930 turntables, so would be interested in trying yours.

I have to say that I'm not particularly eloquent or articulate when it comes to describing the acoustic properties of audio components; either they are better or not than what I already use, or worse. But if you think I can be of help, I would be more than willing to take part.

Regards

Mike g
03-04-2011, 09:20
Hi I'm happy to be a guinea pig on my sp10. Currently using one of the herbie matts cut for a 1210 sized platter.

Tarzan
03-04-2011, 09:22
Hi Andy, l am using a 5mm Anchromat, l would love to try one of your mats:)

Wakefield Turntables
03-04-2011, 10:49
WOW! :eek: Thanks for the replies guys. I dont really want to spill the beans just yet about what the mat is composed of but it's going to be a 3.25mm (spec may change) dual layer composition. If you've seen any of my threads you'll probably have heard that I've got an extremely modified 1210. I've experimented with Sorbothane (3mm) and found it sucked the life out of the deck. I've got access to loads of really cool materials so I thought i'd like to start and experiment. Objective input is always valuable. I'm sure I can tell the differences of my deck but it always nice to hear how it effects others!

Guys, please send me a PM with your addresses and I'll get you a mat sorted, also state if you have a mike new bearing if you have a 12xx technics as his bearing spindle is slightly wider than a normal stock techie bearing. I'm still waiting for some of the materials to arrive but when I get them I'll mail them out to you.

Andy!!

Jac Hawk
03-04-2011, 10:53
Count me in PLEASE:)

Spectral Morn
03-04-2011, 10:57
I would be interested too.

Regards D S D L

Wakefield Turntables
04-04-2011, 16:37
guys!

Thanks for the responses, I'm now closing the request for beta testers as I now have six or seven of you with differing systems! To save time I'll send a mat to all the people that sent me a PM (you know who you are). I'll get in contact with you by sending you a PM when I have finished making the platter mats, so please hang in there and I'll send you the mat.

?Andy

MCRU
06-04-2011, 14:37
ooooo is there room for one more mate, go on pretty please, swap you a mat for a silver plated plug?

Wakefield Turntables
07-04-2011, 18:34
Just a quicky gents, materials arrived today. I have made my own prototype version and will be producing several others for post over the next week or so watch your letter box!

drrd
08-04-2011, 13:52
Hi Andy. Interesting what you say about Sorbothane. I've been trying out an Achromat the last few weeks and then this week got hold of a Sorbothane mat. I think the Achromat sounds better than the stock rubber mat but if I put the Sorbothane on top of the Achromat I get a better damped and more detailed sound. It doesnt sound less lively to me.
If you're interested (or anyone else of course) I can post some recordings I made using the different mats (dCS 904 ADC and 24/96FLAC so good SQ)

Russell

Wakefield Turntables
08-04-2011, 19:01
Hi Andy. Interesting what you say about Sorbothane. I've been trying out an Achromat the last few weeks and then this week got hold of a Sorbothane mat. I think the Achromat sounds better than the stock rubber mat but if I put the Sorbothane on top of the Achromat I get a better damped and more detailed sound. It doesnt sound less lively to me.
If you're interested (or anyone else of course) I can post some recordings I made using the different mats (dCS 904 ADC and 24/96FLAC so good SQ)

Russell

did you change your VTA to compensate for the extra mats thickness?? do you think that this could have improved the performance?? I may go back and try the sorbothane again but things just sound less articulate to me. Probably my cloth ears!! :eek:

drrd
08-04-2011, 21:41
Yeah remembered to adjust VTA

Wakefield Turntables
09-04-2011, 09:10
I'd like to hear your recordings, problem is that they are sampled at a set bit rate which wont truly capture analouge which has a infinite but rate!

drrd
09-04-2011, 15:22
http://www.mediafire.com/?kchs6kz1lhau9

I've included a couple of files with the cartridge loaded at 500ohm, the rest are 33ohm. The version of the track from the CD release is there too for comparison, it's substantially louder overall despite the vinyl being normalised to 0db.

The issue of damping (mechanical and electrical) with vinyl is quite interesting. Resistive loading seems to have a reputation almost as a tone control for MC carts. I've seen reviews of my LP-S recommending 500-600ohm loading. Benz themselves actually recommend 'anything under 100ohm' according to the dealer though interestingly the dealer thought anything over 1Kohm was best :) I'm inclined to agree with Benz. I think it's possible to interpret 'hash' as detail or more information, to me the 500ohm loading tracks sound tonally more like the cd but also less precise and resolved. Also getting a bit fizzy like the cd but not quite so bad (maybe a different type of fizz going on with the cd)
I prefer the SME V with the fluid damper engaged and I think the sorbothane mat does a similar job of damping and soaking up the mechanical background 'hash'. There's less overall energy around especially in the high frequencies but the extension is the same and there's better precision.

Reading other threads here I expect many people will disagree with my philosophy :) I'm not at all into balancing the tonal contributions of various components to the sound of the system, other than the transducer I'd rather they didnt make one at all.

You're right about digital recordings and I can't really predict how these will sound on your gear. it does very much depend on the quality of the converters, even at 44.1K excellent AD->DA can sound uncannily 'analogue'. Unfortunately a lot of digital gear doesnt pull off that trick so well, especially where computers are involved.

Wakefield Turntables
09-04-2011, 18:07
Many thanks for taking time out for adding the recordings, will have a listen at some point. I'm going to grab my sorbothane platter mat and see if I can tell any difference. Will post in a couple of days.