PDA

View Full Version : Apollon Audio valve Amp - first Pictures

greenhomeelectronics
01-04-2011, 16:39
Hi folks, as a follow on to my thread about our new valve amp I would like you guys to be the first to see some piccies of the actual beasty.
The final specs are unaltered, we have found some better speaker posts, which we have used. It comes with a metal cover for health and safety purposes but it looks much better naked so that's how we have done the photos. There will be better ones available as soon as I have worked out how to get the best out of my photo software.
As a result of some feedback we had we have made the bias adjustable and measurable from the top panel. The amp can be switched to triode or ultra linear, there are seperate pots and test points for each mode. We have also upgraded the volume control to a high quality Alps device. This is the very first factory built one, the first run will be of just10 units, they will be available in about 8 weeks time.
Hope you enjoy the piccies, if anybody wants to pre-order one please let me know, price will be £595, including shipping to any mainland UK address.
Dave.

Ali Tait
01-04-2011, 17:59
Looking good Dave. Best of luck with them!

Alex_UK
01-04-2011, 18:09
Yes it does - good luck. :)

Marco
01-04-2011, 19:27
Looking good Dave. Best of luck with them!

+1 :)

Marco.

aquapiranha
01-04-2011, 21:32
Looks great, but I don't like the 'olde worlde' font, I would prefer the uniformity of just one font

greenhomeelectronics
02-04-2011, 08:39
Thanks for the comments, guys. The font is called "vivaldi". I rather like it:)

Vinyleyes
02-04-2011, 08:59
Looks really cool Dave .. good luck with it. I can't wait to hear the first comparitive reviews ... A mate of mine has just bought an Icon Audio 25 and I'd be very interested to see how they compare .... I wish we had known this was so imminent as I am sure he would have waited for a comparison.
Also I'd love to put yours against my Raddie STA25 just out of interest. I am sure someone will do this soon .. so just as a benchmark the going rate for a decent Radford STA25 (when you can find one) seems to be about 1200 punds ... yours is half that ... so wishing you well ..
:cool:

John
02-04-2011, 12:09
I wish you all the best with this Dave

anthonyTD
02-04-2011, 13:02
Looking good Dave,
all the best with it.
Anthony,TD...

greenhomeelectronics
06-04-2011, 08:42
I have put some info about our amp on line now, you can view it here: http://www.usedhifishop.co.uk/index.php?main_page=page&id=9
We have the first batch of 10 now being built, I expect them to be here in about 8 weeks. We will maintain stock after that so that we can deliver them within 2 working days of ordering. Initially we will only be making about 10 per month maximum. They are all hand built so production numbers will always be low. If anybody wants to pre-order one please drop me a PM.
Dave.

Butuz
06-04-2011, 16:48
I hope you can make a profit on these as hand building and testing them in the uk must be costing a hundred quid per amp at least?

Butuz

Tim
06-04-2011, 17:30
I hope you can make a profit on these as hand building and testing them in the uk must be costing a hundred quid per amp at least?

Butuz
Ahh......see that's why he's having them built overseas - China I think?

More info here http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10006&page=2

greenhomeelectronics
07-04-2011, 07:50
Like GreatGig says. They are being built in the far east. We will be testing each one in the UK for function and safety to make sure quality is consistent. We did want to build in the UK but we could not make them at anything like the price we wanted to aim at. Sad but true....

As a result of some feedback we are also looking at supplying a black fascia panel with white lettering. Thought you should know:)

HighFidelityGuy
07-04-2011, 08:07
Nice one Dave, I really like the look of that. Simple, elegant and stylish. Not too blingy and not a boring black box. I think you got the balance right. I'm very tempted to try one of these. :eyebrows:

Tarzan
07-04-2011, 16:56
What is the power output of the beast:)

The Grand Wazoo
07-04-2011, 17:05
From Dave's website: (http://www.usedhifishop.co.uk/index.php?main_page=page&id=9&zenid=7e96b3fd8c2f3fd91db77cca834ed578)

Specifications:
2 x EL34 per channel in push pull mode
Output power 32 watts per channel in Ultra Linear; 16 watts per channel in triode
THD less than 1% at full rated power 20Hz-20KHz
Clean signal path design
500mv sensitivity for each input
choice of 4 or 8 ohm outputs
frequency response 15Hz-45KHz within 1DB
Signal to noise >85DB
Dimensions: 420mm wide x 190mm high, 355 deep (excluding protective cover)

greenhomeelectronics
17-04-2011, 06:19
We are now building the first production run of 10 units, they will take about 2 weeks to build and a further 4 weeks to ship. We will be taking deposits after I get back from my hols on April 30th. They will be made available on a first come, first served basis, the next batch of 10 should be in before the first bath runs out, we will then be keeping stock in the UK for immediate dispatch.
Dave.

Beechwoods
17-04-2011, 06:36
I like it Dave, it looks like a substantial piece of kit. All the best with this, I hope you get some orders in soon!

chelsea
25-04-2011, 12:08
Good luck dave.
I think a lot of people would prefer to have the knowledge that if any problem occurs it can be sorted at source in the uk.

I use a ai s500 el 34 into snells and i would never say there are a pipe and slippers amp with correct speakers.

Look forward to hearing one.

Marco
25-04-2011, 12:47
Hi Stuart,

Sorry to butt in, but could you please add your basic location to your profile? This is now required of all members. Cheers, mate! :cool:

Marco.

chelsea
25-04-2011, 17:40
All done.

Fatsiuyau
06-05-2011, 18:57
This is very interesting indeed for those looking for an affordable NEW valve amp like myself;) Been researching and reading up as much as I can on valves and from what I know (which is not that much technically) the market here for new amps are largely catered for the mid to high end of the audiophile world, you have the big established names selling at exoctic prices and then you have the Prima Luna, Icon Audio, Pure sound, Cayin brands etc which even their so called entry level of their products are well beyond my price bracket for my first beginner type tube amp. Then you have the ebay China brands like Yaqin, Music Angel, Audioromy offering you many different models arer very attractive prices but you get hammered for Postage, import duty and VAT once they get to you, in one peice if you are lucky LOL. Then you have the odd Internet on line shop, well I can only find one - hifiandaudio.com in Northamtonshire bringing in Separo brand again from China and after an 'inspection' they are sold online. What other options do you have for a new decent tube amp? The used route - Leak, Quad, Rogers? For a beginner, very daunting indeed looking at the aging electronics to fail?

One question I want to ask, is 35W enough to drive my ProAC Tablettes Ref8 rated at 86db?? I don't listen at high volume and the room is 20 ft by 15 ft.

John
06-05-2011, 19:07
It should be fine Valve amps even with 30w with your speakers

Alex_UK
06-05-2011, 19:42
This is very interesting indeed for those looking for an affordable NEW valve amp like myself;) Been researching and reading up as much as I can on valves and from what I know (which is not that much technically) the market here for new amps are largely catered for the mid to high end of the audiophile world, you have the big established names selling at exoctic prices and then you have the Prima Luna, Icon Audio, Pure sound, Cayin brands etc which even their so called entry level of their products are well beyond my price bracket for my first beginner type tube amp. Then you have the ebay China brands like Yaqin, Music Angel, Audioromy offering you many different models arer very attractive prices but you get hammered for Postage, import duty and VAT once they get to you, in one peice if you are lucky LOL. Then you have the odd Internet on line shop, well I can only find one - hifiandaudio.com in Northamtonshire bringing in Separo brand again from China and after an 'inspection' they are sold online. What other options do you have for a new decent tube amp? The used route - Leak, Quad, Rogers? For a beginner, very daunting indeed looking at the aging electronics to fail?

That's a very accurate summary of the valve market I think John. Quite daunting as a beginner, especially if you don't have money to burn! A positive reaction to the Appollon will make a lot of people sit up and take notice who would otherwise be looking at mass-market transistor amps, I suspect...

Fatsiuyau
06-05-2011, 20:30
That's a very accurate summary of the valve market I think John. Quite daunting as a beginner, especially if you don't have money to burn! A positive reaction to the Appollon will make a lot of people sit up and take notice who would otherwise be looking at mass-market transistor amps, I suspect...

Don't have the money to burn nor do I want to 'burn' the house down with an unproven China brand import from ebay sellers lol: No that's unfair, I am sure there are some good ones about, but I keep hearing that the voltages are set up differently to UK 240v, although they still will work on UK voltages, eventually the amp will overheat and catches fire? I don't know, just don't want to risk it. I have been offered a used China brand Separo E4i for a good price, I think it may have been supplied by hifiandaudio.com in Northamptonshire, an outfit I mentioned before, they bring in handful of amps from China and have them 'tested' and then sold online. No shop no demo fascility. Still undecided whether to go for it. I have also contacted Icon Audio regarding their Stereo 25 model, but the new version now costs £899 compared to the MK1 version £599. Audio Affairs in Birmingham and their internet shop HiFi Heroes, both stockists are hopeless, never returned by tel messages nor replied to my emails:ner: Where else can I go for a listen demo? Audio T is a joke, box pushers, not interested when I enquire about valves:ner: 2ndhandhifi up in Stockton on Tees have a Prima Luna P2 which I was interested, email and called them about my interest, but again not interested unless you are local I guess, their P2 is actually out with a customer for loan, that was 2 weeks ago, still no reply whether its still available! I give up haha. The quest continues....will keep my eye on the Apollon once they come in and perhaps a review soon. Good to know someone is making the effort to bring in amps from China and setting them up for UK use. Not easy and not cheap either. " Made in China" no longer that cost effective nowadays due to the srtong China currency against the weak Sterling!

Ali Tait
06-05-2011, 22:28
John, look here-

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11102

This is great amp for someone looking to get into valves. Been upgraded too. I'd snap it up if I were you.

Fatsiuyau
07-05-2011, 08:54
John, look here-

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11102

This is great amp for someone looking to get into valves. Been upgraded too. I'd snap it up if I were you.

Thanks Ali, I have looked at that WAD amp, but it looks like just a power amp only, and requires a pre amp to work?

Fatsiuyau
07-05-2011, 09:16
Hmm looks like it's been sold over at 'Wigwam'?

Ali Tait
07-05-2011, 09:43
If not, grab it. This is a good amp, and better than most commercial stuff at the prices you were wanting to pay. The money you've saved on not buying something new can be spent on a pre.BTW, yes, it is a power amp.

greenhomeelectronics
07-05-2011, 10:20
Hi guys, glad to see this thread is still alive and well. We should have the first batch available at the end of June, the production is going well and as long as there are no last minute surprises we will have the amps then. We had the first pre production unit running at the Bracknell Audio Fayre, the first 3 have been sold as a result of that demo, it was rather enthusiastically received. It is well documented that a lot of the Chinese amps tend to be built to 220 volts, we found it quite hard to source 240 volt transformers to the correct spec as a result. All our amps will be individually safety tested by us in the UK, my background is in the aircraft industry and I am paranoid about safety.

If you want to come round to my home for a demo then please drop me a line and we can see if we can set something up. Alternatively if you are close to Bracknell I can bring it round to you.
Regards to all,
Dave.

Elzar
09-05-2011, 18:39
Looks a nice machine Dave. How would you describe the sound of the amp and the EL34?

greenhomeelectronics
12-05-2011, 06:54
Hi ELzar, thank you for your interest. The amp is switchable between triode and ultra linear. In ultra linear it is quite lively and spirited in it's performance, in triode it is slightly more laid back. In both modes it has terrific dynamics and a very full sound stage. From our tests most people have preferred it in UL for high powered rock and pop but have preferred triode for classical and easy listening. We ran a test using David Grey's white ladder album and everybody apart from one person preferred it in triode, the opposite was true for ZZ Top's Eliminator.
It is impossible to accurately communicate sound quality in words but hopefully we will be getting some meaningful reviews done soon.
Hope that helps.
Dave.

Trickie_Dickie
13-06-2011, 11:55
June is here and I was just wondering........How's the amp doing? :cool:

Marco
13-06-2011, 13:59
Me too! :)

Marco.

greenhomeelectronics
22-06-2011, 13:19
Hi Folks, sorry I have been quiet for so long, things have been somewhat hectic. The amps were a bit delayed in manufacture and are now delayed further by shipping issues. I think we have that all sorted now and they are on there way as I write this, they should be here in a couple of weeks eg end of July. A month later than I had planned but better late than never.
We will have 10 available, we can offer them in black or silver. I am hoping to get a review done soon by somebody highly regarded in the music industry - watch this space :-)
Once the initial lot are here I will order more so that I avoid future delays. We are only going to make a max of 10 per month, they will be sold on a first come first served basis.
I will post again here when they are in my grubby mitts.
Dave.

Marco
22-06-2011, 15:55
Nice one, Dave - thanks for the update :)

Marco.

wee tee cee
02-01-2012, 21:08
Any word on the these. I still fancy dipping my toe in the water....

jostber
02-01-2012, 21:11
Review:

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showpost.php?p=276147&postcount=4

wee tee cee
02-01-2012, 21:26
Jostein,
It doesn't link to anything.......

jostber
02-01-2012, 21:42
The review from Hifi Critic is not available online so you need to check the printed magazine. That review should indicate that these amps are readily available now.

wee tee cee
02-01-2012, 21:46
How did it fare....was it alright review wise.

jostber
02-01-2012, 21:50
It says the Apollon Apache sound good enough to warrant serious consideration at its competitive price, and that you might need high sensitivity speakers for this. A lot of technical details and test results as well.

wee tee cee
02-01-2012, 22:07
Thanks,
Things had just went very quiet.....I look forward to one of the battle hardened troops on here giving they're impressions .

greenhomeelectronics
05-01-2012, 17:58
Hi Guys, it did indeed get a favourable review by Martin Colloms. If you want to listen to one near you Marcus at the Diving Bell Lounge recording studio in Glasgow has one. Give him a bell I am sure he will let you have a listen.
Dave.

chelsea
06-01-2012, 20:24
Any in the south west dave?

greenhomeelectronics
08-01-2012, 09:45
Hi Chelsea, we have one customer near Bodmin in Cornwall, a well known musician and song writer in actual fact. Not sure if he would be up for giving a demo but I can ask if you like? Next nearest are Bordon in Hampshire and Bracknell in Berkshire.
Regards,
Dave.

chelsea
08-01-2012, 12:10
Hi Chelsea, we have one customer near Bodmin in Cornwall, a well known musician and song writer in actual fact. Not sure if he would be up for giving a demo but I can ask if you like? Next nearest are Bordon in Hampshire and Bracknell in Berkshire.
Regards,
Dave.

If you could that would be great.
Only about 40 mins away.
No rush though.