PDA

View Full Version : Hi, no not that guy from the horror movies.

darucla
31-03-2011, 16:21
I'm actually Doug. My user name is a derivation of my initials and UCLA, where I recently spent a year studying film.

I used to work in the trade (REW, Pioneer, Marantz etc.), and wouldn't mind getting back in, but I am getting on.

I've been into hi fi since about 1972. After a Westminster by Dixons stereo, my first hifi system was a Thorens TD150AB/Shure M75ED, Cambridge P50 and Pioneer SE/JB 44 electrostatic headphones. None of which unfortunately are still owned by me. I still have a Linn/Ittok, Pioneer PL12D, Transcriptor Hydraulic Reference, and loads of other equipment which I have never got around to selling off.

I got into music through The Beatles (after a brief fling with Cliif Richard's Summer Holiday - sorry), and now have quite eclectic tastes, although I mainly listen to older poplular music, folk etc, along with Mahler, Beethoven, and loads of that stuff. Recently went to 2 Leonard Cohen concerts, in Liverpool and St. Louis, so probably a hopeless case.

John
31-03-2011, 17:32
Welcome to AOS Doug

Reid Malenfant
31-03-2011, 18:22
Hi Doug, a warm welcome to AoS from me also :) Plenty to do & see round here so get stuck in...

I hope you enjoy your stay :cool:

amsterdam
31-03-2011, 19:50
Hi Doug,

Nice to see you...

Bit presumptuous, but you have PM.

darucla
31-03-2011, 21:47
Hi Jonathan

I have tried to reply to your PM, but cannot see any evidence of it having actually being sent. No messages in Sent Items. Maybe I haven't been a member long enough yet.

The Grand Wazoo
31-03-2011, 22:11
Keep posting, you'll get there!
Welcome from me Doug.

Spectral Morn
31-03-2011, 23:01
Welcome to AOS Doug :)

Regards D S D L

Alex_UK
31-03-2011, 23:07
Hi Doug, welcome to AoS. I spent ages putting together a post, only for the forum to crash... :steam:

The gist was - Welcome. Nice system. UK or USA? I immediately thought just North of here and where I grew up (Norwich) or Norfolk, Virginia, where I spent a very pleasant week a few years back - the "Dixons" reference suggested UK, but UCLA suggested USA (VA)?

The first attempt was much better crafted and witty, but two more glasses of Rioja have been imbibed since, so this will have to do! Enjoy the forum.

Rare Bird
31-03-2011, 23:21
I spent ages putting together a post, only for the forum to crash... :steam:

Quite amazing really when it came back on line it was like my pooter had this massive inrush of energy, never seen AOS load so quick :eek:

Welcome Doug

Haselsh1
01-04-2011, 12:00
Welcome to you and your history.

I got into music through the Yardbirds 'Shapes of Things' back whenever but very quickly became a massive Prog Rock fan. Things have never been the same since...

darucla
01-04-2011, 13:57
The gist was - Welcome. Nice system. UK or USA? I immediately thought just North of here and where I grew up (Norwich) or Norfolk, Virginia, where I spent a very pleasant week a few years back - the "Dixons" reference suggested UK, but UCLA suggested USA (VA)?

It is Norwich, Norfolk, UK. I went back to UEA to do a degree (Film and American Studies) recently, and the UCLA year was part of that.

Current Hi Fi or similar that I own:

Pioneer PL12D,
Michell Transcriptor Hydraulic Reference, SME 3009.S2 or Grace 909, Ortofon or Linn PU.,
Linn LP12/Ittik (Mk. I) and AudioNote IO

AudioNote M7 (1981),
Tresham (Pre-NVA) pre/power combo (200 WPC),
Carver M400a,
Hafler 60 watt power,
Leak Delta 30,
Sugden A21 not sure which version, has no model name or number:o,
Nakamichi 410 pre,
Musical Fidelity A1 Collector's Edition (No.6 of 20),
Lecson AP1x power,
2 x Pioneer A400 (including the very first one made),
very old Quad II, 22,FM and AM tuners (in poor condition, bought from the Bassist of the Hollies),
Sony STR1200DES,
Pioneer VSX9900,
Head Transformer (Tim de Paravacini)
Ortofon T-3 transformer,
Pioneer SA-1000.

Pioneer TX-600 tuner,
Luxman T-110,
the above mentioned valve units from Quad.

Stax SR5/SRD-7,
Beyer DT-100,
Pioneer SE-M10,
some very old Koss ESP9 and ESP6.

Pioneer CT-A9, plus a much later double deck CTW something.

Marantz CD-60 masively modified according to Ken Ishiwata's suggestions, Pioneer PD-6100,
early Sony Discman.

Musical Fidelity MC-4 (Oriiginal Martin Colloms design),
Tannoy 613,
1x Tannoy 623 centre speaker,
Tannoy ICT minis (first model),
Pioneer Prologue 4,
plus some carboot specials, Goodmans Magnum K2 and AR18.
And my current centre speaker is a bass bin/horn tweeter in a cabinet from an old cinema.

Plus 4 x PVRs, 2 x DVD-RWs, 1 x Sony BDP, various old DVD players mostly at friends' homes, 1 x Pioneer CLD-1500, I x Panasonic VCR, 2 x Panasonic Plasmas, 2 x NMTs.....:rolleyes:

This is what happens when you just hang onto stuff.:o
I feel like I'm at an AA meeting (Audioholics Anonymous):cocktail:
Doug.

Reid Malenfant
01-04-2011, 14:33
Oh god another one, it sounds so familiar because we all seem to hold onto stuff :doh:

Alex_UK
01-04-2011, 15:14
Ha Ha - never sold a piece of hifi in my life, which is why I have 5 systems set up at the moment, as well as a loft and garage full of old rubbish!

Welcome to another East Anglian, then - I spent 30 years from 7 to 36 in Norwich, so I feel it is my "Home" really, even though I have "defected" to Ipswich 5 years ago... Not easy being a Canaries fan! My Mum & Dad still live there (just off Earlham Road) so still get back a reasonable amount of times when I can.

Jonboy
01-04-2011, 15:55
Hello Doug and welcome, blimey what a load of stuff you've got, i recently had a clear out and a deep cleanse of my old kit just to see some of it pop back on fleabay for more money:doh:

Barry
01-04-2011, 15:56
Welcome to AoS Doug.

Nice collection of gear you have there, and a healthy wide taste in music.

Don't feel bad about the amount of 'stuff' you have accumulated - you should see one of my spare bedrooms; it's so full of audio 'tut' (a technical word meaning projects you always meant to get around to doing, but never did), that I can hardly get through the door.

Unlike Alex (UK), I don't have five systems; but have enough gear for at least three.

Welcome again to the 'East Anglia chapter of the AoS massive'.

Regards

darucla
01-04-2011, 17:09
Thanks for the welcome.

It's amazing what you guys have. I'd forgotten all about stuff like the DCM Timeframes for instance. I have reasonably fond memories of those, although not the most neutral of speakers, they did some stuff really well.. I also find that as it gets older, a lot of gear gets better. I know my MC4s now sound a lot better than they did back in the late 80s.