PDA

View Full Version : my hi fi lounge

SPS
31-03-2011, 08:42
like many of you i dont have the luxury of a dedicated listening room, so my system is parked in the lounge, and i like big speakers, so there's a clash of opinion at times,

i'm in the constant process of improving my system, and in the process of another round of updates..

starting my speakers, pictured is my prototype corner open baffles... i know they dont look very 'open' but they work very well, and they go very low with a very deep full sound,
A step change on my last diy speakers, there's quite alot inside them,so unfortuately they are too heavy to move.
There are some further mods required inside, and new hardwood tops to be made, which will house the tweeters,

I've made a another hardwood plinth for the 124 this weekend, The cover i bought last year now fits.. it kept falling off , The deck has been given a bit of a service and i've
added my new spu which arrived last week.
I'll make you all laugh.. i spent a week or so running it in, thinking this is not very good,...
i realised on monday night i'd had the phono amp set on mc, with my best step up feeding it... i flicked the switch and the spu sang.. and i do mean sang, its lovely... sweet, detailed, and so room filling...

the amp is a chassis i made a few years ago, a mix of old and new
with old pa20 output valves driven by old cosser 41mp valves, through tribute output transformers and sowter interstage transformers. it sounds very well.. again sweet and detailed with a very solid bass.

all rather home made.. but you cant buy this sort of kit... ( would you want too?)

Alex_UK
31-03-2011, 09:50
As I've said before on a thread about What I love about hi-fi (and this forum, come to that) it is the diversity of it all that is so intriguing to me - a completely different path to reach the same aim - quality reproduction of sound. Looks very good (great work on the plinth) and good on you for owning up on the error! We've all done something similar...

Barry
31-03-2011, 09:59
Thorens 124/II plus Fidelity Research arm plus Ortofon SPU - nice, very nice!

The corner speakers do look a little 'boxed in' though. Obviously this is not a problem because, as you say, they sound fine.

I applaud and admire your DIY skills. Well done!

Rare Bird
31-03-2011, 10:35
Looks great steve.

Since has their been a law saying speakers shouldnt go in a corner Barry?

Marco
31-03-2011, 10:37
Excellent stuff, Steve. Nice to see pics of your room and kit at last! Must pop round for a listen sometime and bring my Techy with me - it would be interesting to compare our T/Ts with their respective SPUs :)

It would also be interesting to hear what your SUT is like, compared with my A23, so if you're up for that, we must do it sometime.

I'll make you all laugh.. i spent a week or so running it in, thinking this is not very good,...
i realised on monday night i'd had the phono amp set on mc, with my best step up feeding it... i flicked the switch and the spu sang.. and i do mean sang, its lovely... sweet, detailed, and so room filling...

Hehehe... Been there, done that! I bet you were thinking to yourself beforehand: 'why on earth has Marco been going on about the SPU - what does he see in this??' :eyebrows:

Anyway, I'm glad it's worked out and that you're enjoying the sounds you're getting. SPUs are rather nice, aren't they? Different to the M3D - similar tonality, although a bit more detailed and without the tracking issues!

Enjoy, dude :cool:

Marco.

SPS
31-03-2011, 11:17
thanks for the comments all,
the corner speakers work well, its only the bass/ lower mids that are in open baffle, the two speakers above are horns

they sound like very good, very large boxes, but without any of the port 'sounds' and bass detail like i've not heard before,

It would be great for you to come across marco, ian said the same the other week
your both very welcome.. and anyone else who fancies a day out

bring your techie and the rest... i'll look forward to hearing it..
saturdays are best for me.. just let me know..

thanks
steve

John
31-03-2011, 14:53
Looks good Steve

MartinT
31-03-2011, 15:28
The EAR834P is a great phono stage, I'm not surprised your SPU sings through its step-up into that. Very nice system, love the corner horns.

SPS
31-03-2011, 20:33
The EAR834P is a great phono stage, I'm not surprised your SPU sings through its step-up into that. Very nice system, love the corner horns.

thanks martin..
funnily enough although it sounds very well.. the very deepest bass as a little soft and rounded... and in my mind i had laid the blame in the direction of the ear... but i'm really not sure..

i may try a few different valves in it.. see what they do to the bass first

but once the speakers are sorted, a diy phono is next on the list... and, if i can make one both quiet and good enough... you never know ?

there's plenty in this hobby to keep me going for a few years..

MartinT
31-03-2011, 21:16
i may try a few different valves in it.. see what they do to the bass first

Tube rolling helps (I like Sovteks) as do damping rings around them.

tannoy man
01-04-2011, 17:55
Fantastic looking setup, FR is my dream arm for a TD124.