PDA

View Full Version : Top of the Pops returns to BBC in original time slot

Neil McCauley
30-03-2011, 11:18
"The much-loved live music show was a viewing staple for 42 years until it was dropped in 2006 after falling audiences. But now the BBC is to draw on its huge cache to retransmit old editions of the programme, episode by episode, each Thursday night at 7.30pm from April 7 on BBC Four, the digital channel. The series will start at 1976, the point at which the BBC's full archive of shows begins."

Pan's People included!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/8415563/Top-of-the-Pops-returns-to-BBC-in-original-time-slot.html

Meanwhile, re a less breathtaking subject > http://bit.ly/gmAf4H

MartinT
30-03-2011, 12:14
<disapointment> 'returns' and 'retransmit' give me two different emotions. I certainly don't want to watch a series of mime artists not actually performing live because of the BBC's shameful attitude towards live shows on past TOTP episodes.

Ah well, back to Jools Holland. As you were...

Beechwoods
31-03-2011, 06:02
"...The series will start at 1976, the point at which the BBC's full archive of shows begins."

Two thoughts:

1. It's depressing that the BBC still considers it unnecessary to have a live and occasionally diverse music show on TV at primetime.

2. It's criminal that they only deemed it prudent to keep shows from 1976 onwards... I knew that they had binned most of their sixties and early seventies shows, but through to 1975? Did they not realise what they had?

This isn't news its more like salt in the wounds :eek:

MartinT
31-03-2011, 06:40
I still mourn the loss of The Old Grey Whistle Test.

Spectral Morn
31-03-2011, 10:14

+1

Regards D S D L

Techno Commander
31-03-2011, 21:24

A far better programme.

Someone needs to start a facebook page and generate some support for re-showing these.:)

Macca
31-03-2011, 21:33
A far better programme.

Someone needs to start a facebook page and generate some support for re-showing these.:)

They are available on DVD so I suspect they do not show them as it would hurt sales.

DanJennings
02-04-2011, 09:03
you can only get the 3 best of DVDs, I wish they'd release more, or at least have the complete performances rather than the odd song...