PDA

View Full Version : Yello

Effem
28-03-2011, 19:11
Had a copy of Yello's "The Race" for more years than I care to remember and have really enjoyed listening to it repeatedly, never tiring of it.

I bought the "Baby" and "Touch" CDs recently and I lurrrrrve the Baby CD because it is so funky and off the wall, full of rich tonal colours, whereas Touch has been rather a let down by comparison, apart maybe from the first track. Put it up against The Race and Baby, it seems a tad lacklustre. I know that bands/singers will record a minger some time in their careers, so I am hoping that Touch is the only minger (to me anyway) of Yello's that I have stumbled across.

Now then happy campers, which is the next Yello album I should buy, bearing in mind the comments I made above?

Reid Malenfant
28-03-2011, 19:19
Have you got the early stuff? Stella, Claro Que Si, Solid Pleasure, You Gotta Say Yes To Another Excess...

I reckon you'll like "One Second"...

For a good coverage of the earlier albums go for "The New Mix In One Go" :)

I'm still undecided about "Zebra" :eyebrows:

Effem
28-03-2011, 19:45
Thanks Mark :)

Effem
28-03-2011, 19:49
Just remembered . . . . . . . I bought "Solid Pleasure" last year and that doesn't come out much from the rack either :(

Reid Malenfant
28-03-2011, 19:54
One Second is more like Flag, it's newer ;) The older stuff is still good mind, after all it's what got me into Yello :eyebrows: I'd go for One Second & The New Mix In One Go, that way you get some more modern stuff (One second is at least as good as Flag imo) & you get a chance to listen to the earlier stuff.

Then if you like the earlier Yello you can buy the individual albums, if not you haven't wasted much ;)

I still think they are great though, if a little mad, but then that's me :lol: Some can be a bit disturbing, but then that's Yello, oddity is the name of the game & they have never lost it :cool:

Reid Malenfant
28-03-2011, 19:55
Just remembered . . . . . . . I bought "Solid Pleasure" last year and that doesn't come out much from the rack either :(
Ah, try One Second then, if you like Flag then it's a done deal i reckon ;)

Actually You Gotta Say Yes To Another Excess is about the poorest early one imo, Stella & Claro Que Si are vastly superior.... Just thought i'd add that :)

DSJR
28-03-2011, 19:58
You need to have been there I think. The "early digital" quality of the CD's I have, don't always go as well as the gentler and richer quality of the vinyls I think I still have.

Having said the above, the sample of The Race on the Alan Parsons produced HiFi News test CD sounds amazing and better than the official album CD track.

Do you lot agree that yello got samey as time went on?

Reid Malenfant
28-03-2011, 20:10
Do you lot agree that yello got samey as time went on?
I'm not sure i'd say that Dave, but i think they don't experiment quite like they used to :eyebrows:

sparrow
28-03-2011, 20:35
I like the later albums ..The Eye & Pocket Universe...maybe not as good as the earlier ones but they are quite different.

MartinT
28-03-2011, 20:40
Thanks Mark, I've just ordered One Second based on the fact that I like Flag a lot.

slate
28-03-2011, 21:39
I'm not sure i'd say that Dave, but i think they don't experiment quite like they used to :eyebrows:

Well they are not getting younger.

I bought Flag back when it came out and I saw the video. Stella was added when it came. Touch have been on my wish list for a while.... is it time to rekindle...?!