PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: pre-recorded open reel tapes

St3v3
26-03-2011, 09:54
Hiya,

I've just recently taken the plunge and bought myself a Revox a77 (price was way too good to say no) and am looking for some 50's-70's country/rock/pop/pysch/jazz reels. Anyone have any to sell? I wouldn't even mind well-made home recorded ones. :)

Cheers,
Steve

Beechwoods
26-03-2011, 10:02
Good luck in your search Steve, it's a really fun hobby. I assume you have a quarter track A77? I have a few pre-recordeds myself, mostly got from US eBay sellers. Buying from the US these days is a bit more expensive due to the fact they're a lot sharper at customs since the recession started to bite.

There are bargains to be had though, depending on your tastes.

St3v3
26-03-2011, 11:34
Thanks Nick. Yeah, it is a 1/4 track. I'm thinking about spending the 'noon traipsing around London and seeing if any record stores know of any hidden gems about. Fingers crossed!

The Grand Wazoo
26-03-2011, 11:48
Steve,
You might think about asking at the charity shops if they have anything in their stock rooms. Stuff often hangs about there in limbo for years. I got a box of 50 7" reels by doing this - it cost me a fiver.
Good luck

PS - as for Ebay, you'll be bidding against me for anything of interest - I'll let you keep the country stuff though!

St3v3
27-03-2011, 15:03
Thanks for the advice, Chris. Good thinking. By the way, don't bid too high on a 'White Album' reel from the US! ;)

Beechwoods
27-03-2011, 16:52
The Beatles' reels are tres expensive, good luck! Let us know how you get on.

shane
27-03-2011, 19:22
I know I've put it on here before, but you might find this interesting (if a little pricey...).

http://www.tapeproject.com/