PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Greenwich

harty601
08-09-2008, 20:55
Have been into Hifi for a few years now - having had a variety of Nad, arcam, rotel and B&W kit. Sadly, due to lack of space and other boring reasons I found myself with an arcam solo and a bose acoustimass 4 system. Last week I managed to convince my wife that we needed a set of PMC DB1s to actually start hearing music again. I bought them home and she was convinced, some how one thing led to another and I have just chopped my Arcam Solo in for a Naim Supernait and a Naim CD5x. There is only a slight difference from the old set up!!! :)

Beechwoods
08-09-2008, 21:12
I'm still working on getting my wife to appreciate the need to invest in my system. I seem to have a '1 in 1 out' understanding right now. Perhaps you could share your tactics!

Good to have you here, and enjoy the forum!

Nick

Marco
08-09-2008, 21:16
Hi Harty,

Welcome to the forum :)

What's your first name? I rate the Supernait - it's a nice bit of kit, probably one of Naim's smartest designs in years.

Marco.

harty601
08-09-2008, 21:23
I still don't know how I managed to pull off getting the upgrade past my wife. I bought the CD5x on Saturday with the view to using my solo as the amp for the time being. My dealer let me bring the supernait home to see if I liked it as an upgrade path for the future. My wife heard it an said she thought we should keep it - even when I told her how much it cost. However, I did agree to sell one of my guitars to free up some cash!!!

Richard

Marco
08-09-2008, 21:26
Sounds like a result, Richard. Hold on to the Supernait; in my view it's as good as some of Naim's pre/power combos for a fraction of the price, and it has some natty features :)

If you really want to hear it sing try using it with some N-sats and an N-sub. The size of the sound will shock you!

Marco.

harty601
08-09-2008, 21:30
I agree, I'm running an airport express into the DAC via an optical connection. I know there is some issues of what is happening as the data streams through the air etc but I have some very high quality flac files that sound pretty stunning.

Beechwoods
08-09-2008, 21:37
Other than occasional buffer under-runs airport express should be OK. It converts to Apple Lossless (ALAC) on the fly so everything should go across losslessly...