PDA

View Full Version : Hi

woodpecker
25-03-2011, 20:37
Hi.
My name is Mark and I have been into hifi for about 20 years or so. My first system was a Marantz CD63se cd player with an Arcam Alpha 6+ amp and Mission 780se speakers and though I went considerably higher up the ladder that original system sounded very respectable.

I currently have a Marantz cd7 cd player (probably 15 years old now) but still behaving, and a fantastic player imho.. I have an Arcam Alpha 10 and 10P biamping some very humble Chario Hyper 1 mk II standmount loudspeakers. This is a very unbalanced system because sadly I had to sell very high end amp and speakers, but hey it still sounds rather good.

I love going to gigs and I look forward to seeing Tom McRae with a string quartet in a CHURCH in Leeds in a fortnights time. Also going to a blues festival in May with my son.

All for now. Mark.

Darren
25-03-2011, 20:42
Hi Mark,
I'd love a CD7 you are a lucky man. Is your handle 'woodpecker' because you is a cider man like myself?

Reid Malenfant
25-03-2011, 20:48
Hi Mark from another Mark, welcome to AoS :) Cheers for introducing yourself, very much appreciated... I think if you look about you'll soon realise it's common practise around here & makes for a much better forum experience ;)

All the very best chap & i hope you enjoy your stay :)

BTW, wasn't there a couple of bits that made up the Perpetual Technologies kit :scratch: Wasn't one part an upsampler & the other the DAC? :scratch:

Been years, forgive my lack of memory...

DSJR
25-03-2011, 20:55
Welcome to AOS :)

That CD7 was the final fling for the infamous 1541 chipset and very good with it I understand. Well worth keeping going - find out the mech and try to get a spare...

Alex_UK
25-03-2011, 21:40
Welcome, Mark. As a long time Marantz CD player owner, I'm very envious of the CD7 - built like a tank I should imagine!

Sounds like you have a varied music taste, as most of us do on here - look forward to seeing more of what you like.

Enjoy AoS. :)

Tarzan
25-03-2011, 22:04
Welcome Mark- get stuck in- Marantz CD7 some player by all accounts- get stuck in posting old chap:)

John
26-03-2011, 05:07
Welcome Mark hope you enjoy your time here

Barry
26-03-2011, 21:55
Yes, welcome to AoS Mark.

Enjoy your time here, and enjoy the Blues festival in May. :)

Regards

woodpecker
27-03-2011, 09:35
Just want to say thank you to you all: Barry, John, Andy, Alex, Dave, Darren and especially Mark for prompting me to add details of myself and to come onto the Welcome forum to put a few lines.
But especially to you all for bothering to read my entry and for taking the time to make me feel welcome.
I do know a bit about hifi but I am more of a listener/learner than a talker but I feel most welcomed by you all. Cheers guys.

woodpecker
27-03-2011, 11:31
I have loved music from as far back as I can remember but I can clearly remember the first time I heard a real hifi system at the impressionable age of 14.
Back then I was listening to cassettes on a very small MONO cassette player in my bedroom.
I went with my parents to see some friends of my parents and the guy put some music on and I was totally smitten. From that moment I wanted a proper hifi system, though it would be years before I could get one. Most homes back then had what was known as a MUSIC CENTRE, everything in one box so to speak.

Even though it was many MANY years ago I can remember that the guys system was a Garrard turntable (Zero 100 SB if memory serves) an Eagle AA6 amplifier and Celestion Ditton 15 speakers. Anybody remember Eagle components I wonder? And I wonder what my impreessions of that system would be if I were to hear it now? How would that system from the 70's sound today.
I bet I am putting this on the wrong forum but someone may read it!! Doh!

Macca
27-03-2011, 11:37
Even though it was many MANY years ago I can remember that the guys system was a Garrard turntable (Zero 100 SB if memory serves) an Eagle AA6 amplifier and Celestion Ditton 15 speakers. Anybody remember Eagle components I wonder? And I wonder what my impreessions of that system would be if I were to hear it now? How would that system from the 70's sound today.
I bet I am putting this on the wrong forum but someone may read it!! Doh!

Yes I had an Eagle amp for a short while years back, I don't recall the model. Wooden case with DIN sockets on the back. I can remember I wasn't much impressed by it; but it was old even then and probably past its prime.