PDA

View Full Version : Not sure I'll be able to flush this one down the toilet...

WAD62
24-03-2011, 15:49
...well after a good stint, I reckon about 11 years, 'Big Bertha' has gone the way of all flesh. :(

At 10" she was the biggest goldfish I'd ever seen...time for the BBQ and some tartare sauce. :)

Marco, any wine recommendations for carp? :eyebrows:

Beechwoods
24-03-2011, 16:35
I know you're kidding, but there's something very odd indeed about the thought of eating an animal that has a name!

Maybe a eulogy and a small funeral pyre would be more fitting. Then have that glass of claret to toast absent friends :)

WAD62
24-03-2011, 17:12
I know you're kidding, but there's something very odd indeed about the thought of eating an animal that has a name!

Maybe a eulogy and a small funeral pyre would be more fitting. Then have that glass of claret to toast absent friends :)

Oh can you imagine how she'd taste...11 years in a garden pond, what an interesting flavour that would be ;)

I was brought up on a sheep (amongst other things) farm in North Cumbria...you can probably guess where this is going

We used to hand rear the orphan/pet lambs, I remember one called 'Snowey' that I hand reared, I was about 10 at the time...one Sunday lunch, a few months later, my dad took great glee in telling me who we were eating :(

But she tasted so nice :)

Techno Commander
24-03-2011, 17:13
Asian Steamed Carp. (http://www.meltingwok.com/labels/carp.html)

Thing Fish
24-03-2011, 19:31
Its sad when stuff dies.

Reid Malenfant
24-03-2011, 19:41
Its sad when stuff dies.
It's a fact of life i'm afraid :rolleyes:

Nice looking fish will, shame it popped it's clogs :(

Now what was that song that used to introduce that old program about trawlermen? :scratch:

Ah, "who will have the fishy, on a little dishy, who will have the fishy, when the boat comes in" :eyebrows:

Mike
24-03-2011, 19:54
I had quite a few of those until last week... *&!$ing Heron! :steam:

WAD62
24-03-2011, 20:12
It's a fact of life i'm afraid :rolleyes:

Nice looking fish will, shame it popped it's clogs :(

Now what was that song that used to introduce that old program about trawlermen? :scratch:

Ah, "who will have the fishy, on a little dishy, who will have the fishy, when the boat comes in" :eyebrows:

'Dance te tha daddy...etc'

The previous house owner had kept some rather exotic koy carp...so I plopped in a few 99p goldfish from pets at home (or whatever its called), to join the frogs about 11 years ago.

A few could't deal with the outdoor life, bertha herself was the subject of an unprovoked heron attack a couple of years ago (probably too big to pick up) , but it's nice to see what a standard 1" goldfish can grow into given the right conditions & space.

There're 5 of the original 10 still on the go, time for a few new ones as it's getting warmer. :)

I'll give the recipe a miss Andy, I was once given a 20lb trout by a mate who liked fishing but didn't like fish, so it must have been a few years old...It tasted disgusting, like soil/peat in the form of fish flesh...and I have a modicum of sentiment ;)

:cool:

WAD62
24-03-2011, 20:16

They don't mess about...gives you a bit of a start when you walk into your garden and something the size of an albatross takes off. :eek:

shane
24-03-2011, 20:42

I know you won't believe this, but I swear it's true. My next-door neighbour has a fishpond stocked with goldfish. Two weeks ago, he saw a large black bird sitting next to it eying up breakfast.

I saw him the next morning. "'ere" he said, " I had a shag in me pond this morning!"

WAD62
25-03-2011, 11:22
I know you won't believe this, but I swear it's true. My next-door neighbour has a fishpond stocked with goldfish. Two weeks ago, he saw a large black bird sitting next to it eying up breakfast.

I saw him the next morning. "'ere" he said, " I had a shag in me pond this morning!"

..."I thank you...my name Shane and ahm ere all week"

Very poor indeed...;)

shane
25-03-2011, 14:24
But absolutely true, Promise!!!

RochaCullen
25-03-2011, 14:52
My father was visiting a factory close to where he works, and while there he was brought around the back to see the pond the man he was speaking to maintained.

He was told he could lend a hand feeding the koy that were kept in the pond. Its fair to say he was shocked when standing at the edge he looked into the pond to see a koy bigger than himself. Apparently the pond had quite a few of them. That's what thirty years of care, a very large pond, and plenty of food can do.

Nathan

WAD62
25-03-2011, 16:51
My father was visiting a factory close to where he works, and while there he was brought around the back to see the pond the man he was speaking to maintained.

He was told he could lend a hand feeding the koy that were kept in the pond. Its fair to say he was shocked when standing at the edge he looked into the pond to see a koy bigger than himself. Apparently the pond had quite a few of them. That's what thirty years of care, a very large pond, and plenty of food can do.

Nathan

Apparently the goldfish record is 43 years, but anywhere between 2 and 15 is normal...not a fact I had to hand, I was just checking in case of disease etc. but there doesn't seem any external evidence of that on the fish, well not to my limited knowledge anyway :)

jantheman
12-04-2011, 10:01
Kept all sorts of fish over the years, coldwater, tropical and marine. The salties are very time consuming and can work out bloody expensive. 40% of my leccy bill went to keeping them alive, then theres all the other stuff. Would love a pond but dont have the room. C'est la vie.

WAD62
13-04-2011, 11:39
Kept all sorts of fish over the years, coldwater, tropical and marine. The salties are very time consuming and can work out bloody expensive. 40% of my leccy bill went to keeping them alive, then theres all the other stuff. Would love a pond but dont have the room. C'est la vie.

The previous occupants kept koy carp, our ecosystem's a little less flash...frogs and goldfish ;)

It's a lovely thing to sit by on a warm summers night :)

Rare Bird
18-04-2011, 10:19
Is it right that Goldfish grow in relation to the size of the tank they live in? Tiny bowl, stay small pond size grow as big as they naturally can!