PDA

View Full Version : fs: Quad ESL 57's

macvisual
17-03-2011, 15:34
** Withdrawn From Sale ** As the project I was chasing has just collapsed, I apologise for this.

Maybe looking at a new project, so here goes;

Selling my pair of excellent condition Quad ESL 57's in lovely bronze colour, I've owned these for around 5yrs, I believe they are from 1968 era. For quite a while I've had them carefully covered up and stored away as they are used occasionally every other month or so as we moved house a year ago they are a little too wide for our listening room, they are children free as we don't have any.

Condition wise; one front panel is nine and a half out of ten, the other panel would be a good nine, (ten being the best). They play flawlessly and sound wonderful, standard speaker posts and standard bulgin mains connection on rear, they've not been messed about with. I have both the original Quad speaker box's although quite a bit dog-eared with age. These will NOT be posted, I can travel (within reason) from where I live here close to Stirling, Scotland. A demo in my home is most welcome.

I've both the three wooden feet that come with the 57's and a dedicated pair of 'Rupert' speaker stands which lift them off the ground around 14" to improve overall sound. I'll throw both 'Rupert' stands in free, I paid £75 for them. I'll try add photo's within next day or so.

Barry
17-03-2011, 19:23
If I lived much nearer to you I would have them like a shot, but I think transportation problems would be very difficult and/or expensive.

Regrets

Marco
17-03-2011, 19:55
Do you prefer those to your own then, Barry? :)

Depending on where Peter lives in Scotland, I could always pick them up for you when I go up to Glasgow next month - then you could collect them from me :cool:

Marco.

Beechwoods
17-03-2011, 20:00
It wouldn't surprise me if Barry were thinking 'Stacked Electrostatics' - I seem to recall him commenting on the idea once :scratch:

Marco
17-03-2011, 20:31
Well that would be an excellent idea. Ian Walker had a stacked pair of One Thing Audio 57s, and they were superb!

Marco.

Barry
17-03-2011, 21:49
Hi Guys

Yes you're right, stacked Quads was what I had in mind. Ever since I tried doing so some twenty five years ago and was amazed with the results: not just the increase in bass performance but with the palpable sense of presence that I've only experienced with say the Decca cartridge, stacked ELS have been my goal. :eek:

Now I don't really have room for such an arrangement, not without them visually dominating the room to an unacceptable extent. However if I did have a second pair, I'm sure I would find a way around that aesthetic problem. :scratch:

The pair Peter has for sale are the right colour to pair with mine: copper/bronze, appear to be in excellent physical and cosmetic condition and are of a roughly similar age to mine (pre Cambrian), not that that matters too much with Quad 57s: model no.1 will sound virtually no different to model 10,000. And the asking price is reasonable for a pair in such good condition.

Thanks Marco, your offer looks extremely attractive, but there would still be a problem of conveying them from Castle Marco to mine.

Reluctantly I think I will have to pass them by.

Regards

Marco
17-03-2011, 22:05
No worries, dude - just a thought :)

Marco.