PDA

View Full Version : I'm New Here

1000RPM
16-03-2011, 21:53
Good album that. Half a lifetime ago Gill Scot Heron was the sound track to my university years.

this is probably somewhat overdue. I've been tapping away over at Pinkfish and the 'Wam, but a troublingly growing vinyl habit means I have to pitch up on Art of Sound too.

My main system is naim, naim and more naim. All CB era, supplied with a free hair shirt.

Recent acquisitions of a Michell Gyro and Prima Luna Prologue 1 have opened new vistas of sonic wonderment, and AoS seems a good place to learn more, share more, and with a weary sense of inevitability, probably buy more too.

cheers, Phil.

The Grand Wazoo
16-03-2011, 22:01
Hi there Phil,
Welcome to The Art of Sound - nice to have you here.

1000RPM
16-03-2011, 22:07
very kind of you Chris

:)

Marco
16-03-2011, 22:14
Hi Philip,

Welcome to AoS - good to see you here! :)

If you've got any pics of your gear please post them in The Gallery, as we're a nosey bunch :eyebrows:

Otherwise, enjoy and ask as many questions as you like :cool:

Marco.

1000RPM
16-03-2011, 22:16
thanks Marco - I have some pics lurking on photobucket so I'll post 'em up soon.

Alex_UK
16-03-2011, 22:24
Hi Phil - great intro, thanks and glad you joined us.

What sort of music do you like listening too in your prickly shirt? Itchy & Scratchy? Porcupine Tree? Which reminds me, I've not listened to my vinyl copy of "A Hedgehog Sandwich" for yonks... :)

One thing is pretty much guaranteed - joining AoS is going to cost you - either upgrades or new music - probably both - you have been warned! :eyebrows:

Have fun, keep the Credit Card in check! :)

Beechwoods
17-03-2011, 07:18
Gil Scott Heron is a genius. Excellent way to say hello! Welcome to the forum Philip!

1000RPM
19-03-2011, 00:11
Gil Scott Heron is a genius. Excellent way to say hello! Welcome to the forum Philip!

Isn't he just...and coming back strong too. Still listen to Winter in America, Moving Target albums etc and they remain absolutely brilliant. Of later songs, I keep putting on 'B Movie' in the car because the lyrics are just astoundingly clever and very, very funny

Beechwoods
19-03-2011, 10:30
I could have written that. I love the live versions of 'Winter In America' - the way he eases into the song with his thoughts on the seasons. Have you ever wondered why the 10th month is called OCTober and the 9th month is called SEPTember :) I learnt that from Gil Scott Heron. Total Lyric Genius ;)

His old stuff is still the best, though I liked the remix of 'I'm New Here' with Jamie XX.