PDA

View Full Version : cant rip certain disks

wee tee cee
16-03-2011, 11:35
I recently bought a new lap top and I am in the process of ripping all my cd collection onto i tunes at lossless.Some of my cds wont rip,ive noticed they all seem to be warner brothers disks (led zeplin,jj cale and clapton,prince)Is this a known issue and if so can it be resolved.Any help would be greatly appreciated especially if it is phrased in such a way as to be understandable to a computer dafty.
Cheers TC.

Welder
16-03-2011, 11:58
Some discs have copyright protection. How to get around that may not be a topic for this forum.
What I would suggest is you use Exact Audio Copy (EAC) rather than itunes and see how you get on with that.

wee tee cee
16-03-2011, 12:17
Thanks for that.I am trying it just now but it aint happy.What is throwing me is that all the disks the new lap top is spitting the dummy over loaded nae bother on the old lap top I tunes.Might have to go to the pound shop and get a cd wallet and put the rogue disks on top of the cdp.
Again many thanks for the help.
TC.

WAD62
16-03-2011, 15:18
The easiest way I've found is to simply make a copy of the disk, using Roxio or some such copier, then try ripping the copy it should work fine after that. ;)

Stratmangler
16-03-2011, 19:40
Hold the Ctrl button when you close the disc caddy.

Canetoad
17-03-2011, 08:48
Yes, I've had to do this with one of my CDs and it worked a treat! Thanks again Chris! :)

Stratmangler
17-03-2011, 15:13
Yes, I've had to do this with one of my CDs and it worked a treat! Thanks again Chris! :)

You're very welcome :)

Filterlab
17-03-2011, 15:22
I recently bought a new lap top and I am in the process of ripping all my cd collection onto i tunes at lossless.Some of my cds wont rip...

Tony, what type of laptop do you have? Are you using Windows 7?

wee tee cee
18-03-2011, 08:59
Its a dell inspiron and it does indeed have windows 7.

MartinT
18-03-2011, 09:13
I've used Exact Audio Copy (EAC) with success even with copy protected CDs, notably Zero 7's When It Falls.

WAD62
18-03-2011, 09:16
dBpoweramp gets my vote...;)

Tim
18-03-2011, 10:11
I've used Exact Audio Copy (EAC) with success even with copy protected CDs, notably Zero 7's When It Falls.
+1 ... takes a bit of tweaking to set-up properly, but when you have, it's worth it. The error correction is IMO one of the best out there, I have bought CD's from Charity shops that were beat to hell and wouldn't play at all in my CDP, but a rip with EAC and I get an error free audio file :)

WAD62
18-03-2011, 13:49
+1 ... takes a bit of tweaking to set-up properly, but when you have, it's worth it. The error correction is IMO one of the best out there, I have bought CD's from Charity shops that were beat to hell and wouldn't play at all in my CDP, but a rip with EAC and I get an error free audio file :)

I used to use EAC, but dBpoweramp is much better/quicker IMHO, once you've configured the secure rip and drive properly :)

wee tee cee
18-03-2011, 17:18
The toys are out the pram....the lap top refuses to rip these disks.The I tunes suits me because its simple,I dont want sleeve art or any extras just music.Maybe im a bit of a ludite but the computer based stuff dosnae half sound good.Stuff ive been listening to for years sounds like a differnt recording,but in a good way.

Welder
18-03-2011, 17:27
Hmm, I have not found a single disc that EAC won’t rip yet and I’ve done over 1000 :scratch:

Tim
18-03-2011, 17:34
Hmm, I have not found a single disc that EAC won’t rip yet and I’ve done over 1000 :scratch:
Me neither, never had a disc not rip using any sort of ripping software?

Reid Malenfant
18-03-2011, 18:24
There was a bit of a stink a good while ago where CD manufacturers put some kind of weird code on CDs so they couldn't be played on a CD ROM, so they couldn't be ripped.

Obviously CD players that used a ROM drive (there are or were some made) kicked up a fuss because they couldn't play the CD :eek:

I wonder if that has anything to do with it :scratch:

One other thing, i use a bit of software called DVD43 which gets round certain encryption or coding, i have noticed that on one or two CDs it's working on them as well :scratch: Obviously there is something going on that we are not aware of ;)

wee tee cee
19-03-2011, 12:09
Tried eac download of express rip,windows media player and I tunes.The computer wont play, never mind rip any warner brothers stuff.Tried another disk to just rip something,red hot chillie peppers......Its a bloody warner brothers aswell.Its all on the other lap top but the point of re-ripping everything was to ensure it was all lossless..
Thanks to everyone for theyre suggestions.
TC.

Canetoad
19-03-2011, 12:14
Maybe there is some security coding within the bios of the DVD drive along similar lines as region coding. Can you try from another drive if you have access to one?

wee tee cee
19-03-2011, 12:19
Unfortunately I dont,Its not the end of the world just a bit annoying.

StanleyB
19-03-2011, 12:26
I'll tell you this much, but nothing more:

the discs have an executable file. When you put a protected disc in a drive that is connected to a piece of hardware that is under control of an operating system, the executable file starts messing about with the Table of Content location. The trick is in bypassing the executable file when you want to rip the disc.

WAD62
19-03-2011, 12:38
I'll tell you this much, but nothing more:

the discs have an executable file. When you put a protected disc in a drive that is connected to a piece of hardware that is under control of an operating system, the executable file starts messing about with the Table of Content location. The trick is in bypassing the executable file when you want to rip the disc.

Hence copying the disk then ripping the copy works, perhaps a sledgehammer to crack a nut etc. :eyebrows:

Also turn off autorun on your cd drive, and if you're using dBpoweramp there's another setting in there to that effect, but that just helps with the multi media ones

Stratmangler
19-03-2011, 12:50
Tried eac download of express rip,windows media player and I tunes.The computer wont play, never mind rip any warner brothers stuff.Tried another disk to just rip something,red hot chillie peppers......Its a bloody warner brothers aswell.Its all on the other lap top but the point of re-ripping everything was to ensure it was all lossless..
Thanks to everyone for theyre suggestions.
TC.

This is making me think it's a Windows 7 DRM issue; add in Stan's comment about executable files and it points towards administrator access rights.