15-03-2011, 19:56
:lolsign:

spendorman
15-03-2011, 21:33
F*ckin' ell, and folk thought my 66s were pot ugly!!! :eek:

:lol:

Marco.

Ah, but the Dalines sound beautiful.

And look slightly better with the grilles on.

Marco
15-03-2011, 21:38
Ditto my Celestion Monitor 66s! ;)

(See my Avatar above).

Marco.

DSJR
15-03-2011, 22:35
Ah, but the Dalines sound beautiful.

And look slightly better with the grilles on.

I remember the name and the very fond memories people have of them, but nothing else...

I suspect the T15 works better with the B110 at crossover and again, the Coles probably isn't strictly necessary, except for tax reasons, as the Coles in the BC1 and 2 was.

spendorman
15-03-2011, 22:48
I remember the name and the very fond memories people have of them, but nothing else...

I suspect the T15 works better with the B110 at crossover and again, the Coles probably isn't strictly necessary, except for tax reasons, as the Coles in the BC1 and 2 was.

Yes, the T15 combines well with the B110, actually, the T15 is rolled off by the crossover at the top end for the Coles to take over.

They go down very low, mid and top are particularly good.

The cheaper version was just B110 and T27.

Dingdong
15-03-2011, 23:05
Now if you want pretty speakers you should try these babies.

http://i896.photobucket.com/albums/ac169/marktb/Hifi/DSCN0709.jpg

They are a bit better with the covers on. They do make nice noises, though.

http://i896.photobucket.com/albums/ac169/marktb/Hifi/DSCN0711.jpg

You might notice they are a bit close to the wall. Still working on positioning everything in the room.

Rare Bird
15-03-2011, 23:12
:eyebrows:

spendorman
15-03-2011, 23:16

You might notice they are a bit close to the wall. Still working on positioning everything in the room.

DM2's surely, DM2a's usually had the bass unit chassis painted black.

Dingdong
15-03-2011, 23:20
Maybe you're right. Were there any other differences? They have the little switch thingy at the back.

spendorman
15-03-2011, 23:28
Maybe you're right. Were there any other differences? They have the little switch thingy at the back.

Generally, the 2a had the switch and the black painted chassis bass units. But there seems to be some muddling of the models.

Dingdong
15-03-2011, 23:34
Maybe the drivers have been swapped at some time. They are currently being scrubbed and treated with teak oil. There is a little surface rust on the Coles which needs sorting too.
I still think they look nicer than those Dittons with the spunk stain on the driver:)

Marco
16-03-2011, 10:58
LOL @ spunk stain!!

The tweeter plates on your B&Ws look rusty - were they kept in a damp place at some point, a bit like inside your pants? :lol:

;)

Joking aside, Mark - TBH, I think they're both as fugly as each other with their grilles off, but I much prefer the look of the Celestions with their grilles on.

If I'd demonstrated them that way at the show, people would've remarked at what nice condition they were in (as well as how good they sounded), as the wood veneered areas of the speakers are near mint :cool:

Trouble is, they sound much better with their grilles off!

Enjoy the B&Ws - they're nice vintage speakers.

Marco.

Dingdong
16-03-2011, 11:12
I think they have been a little damp in the past. I've given the other one a rub down with a bit of wire wool and might give it a coat of something. There is a split in the corner of the cabinet in the photo. Nothing major. About half a mil that I will fill with something of a suitable colour.

The other cabinet has been given a good scrub and has had a bit of teak oil applied and has come up quite well. I'm not overly keen on the brown grilles, so I might experiment with some new black cloth soon.
I've swapped them over for a pair of Linn Saras in my main system and they sound pant dampeningly good. No spunk stains on the drivers yet, though. I'm more than happy with the swap I made for a tuner that cost me a tenner.

I got to see and hear the 66's at Scalford very briefly, on a 10 minute break from my room. Very nice. Did you check to see if that stain tasted salty?

spendorman
16-03-2011, 11:23
I may not have got this absolutely correct. In the 70's B&W did a good test / trick, at an Hi Fi show. They had a presenter read from a script, part way though reading he appeared to drink a glass of water!

At a particular point a pre- recorded speech was started as he stopped talking. People did not realise that the switch had taken place. This was using either DM2 or DM2a, can't remember which.

Marco
16-03-2011, 11:27
I got to see and hear the 66's at Scalford very briefly, on a 10 minute break from my room. Very nice. Did you check to see if that stain tasted salty?

Yes I did, during an intimate moment alone with them after the show (you know how it is), and found it more creamy than salty, with a slight tang of beaver musk and Carnation milk :eyebrows:

Glad you enjoyed the 66s. Unfortunately I never got to your room, as indeed I also didn't manage with about 90% of the others... :rolleyes:

Next year I'll hopefully be bringing less kit, which will make the event for me much more relaxing, and allow me the time to see the rest of the show properly! :cool:

Marco.

Dingdong
16-03-2011, 12:23
Yes I did, during an intimate moment alone with them after the show (you know how it is), and found it more creamy than salty, with a slight tang of beaver musk and Carnation milk :eyebrows:

Glad you enjoyed the 66s. Unfortunately I never got to your room, as indeed I also didn't manage with about 90% of the others... :rolleyes:

Next year I'll hopefully be bringing less kit, which will make the event for me much more relaxing, and allow me the time to see the rest of the show properly! :cool:

Marco.

How could you have missed a pair of slightly cosmetically challenged Index Plus's? Star of the show IMO.
Next year I plan to get there on a Saturday and maybe find a friend to share or look after the room for a bit. I popped into the AoS room a couple of times to say hello, but everybody seemed very busy so I sloped off again.

DSJR
16-03-2011, 16:10

Tweets on the inside, thank you (:)) and you might like to check the internal wiring while you're at it, as that corrosion on the Coles could mean years in the loft or garage.....

Dingdong
16-03-2011, 16:32
I was just thinking earlier which way round they should be. I shall move them in a minute. The internal wiring seems ok. I've had all the drivers out for a checkover and re-soldered them.
I thought that the stands I put them on were Target MR-60, but after a bit of research I think they are R2's. Heavy buggers anyway when you're trying to position them.

spendorman
16-03-2011, 16:37
Don't think the Coles corrosion will clean up that well.

I think that I would paint the faces of the Coles black. The later ones were.