PDA

View Full Version : TV's without tuners

jantheman
12-03-2011, 10:38
Guys...TV is shite so I am considering relieving myself of the burden of having to buy a licence. My proposal is to play from purchased DVDs, so my proposals are
.....does anyone make a TV (about 32") that doesnt have a tuner built in.
....I am aware of licensing issues and the proposed liklihood that PC's will soon be classed as able to receive broadcasts and therefore require a licence.

I remember reading somewhere that if you didnt have an aerial or cable or similar ( a method of getting a signal to the TV) then a licence wasnt required even with a tuner in the TV.......I expect they have covered that loophole but I'd like to hear your views.

Any help or info appreciated.

Stratmangler
12-03-2011, 11:37
Now if you had an analogue CRT and no set-top box of any kind then you must surely be exempt from the need to pay for a tv license.:eyebrows:

chris@panteg
12-03-2011, 11:55
Or an analogue LCD ! there were a few around about 5 years ago as i bought one , on sept 30th we are going all digital here in Banbury .

Techno Commander
12-03-2011, 12:26
It you cut through the aerial lead where is exits the wall, then you are unable to receive TV.

MartinT
12-03-2011, 12:31
Just leave the tuner detuned and don't plug an aerial in. You are safe as the burden of proof is on them to prove that you are capable of receiving broadcasts and you won't be. The same goes for PCs: no tuner, no problem.

Don't let their weasel words sway you, they will threaten and bluster if you don't buy a licence but you'll be watertight.

chris@panteg
12-03-2011, 12:39
Just leave the tuner detuned and don't plug an aerial in. You are safe as the burden of proof is on them to prove that you are capable of receiving broadcasts and you won't be. The same goes for PCs: no tuner, no problem.

Don't let their weasel words sway you, they will threaten and bluster if you don't buy a licence but you'll be watertight.

Right !

I know some people who are already doing it this way and it works , the license people don't like it one bit , but can do jack about it :eyebrows:

Reid Malenfant
12-03-2011, 12:41
Agreed with Martin ;) As long as the aerial is not connected to the TV or a freeview box then it's incapable of picking up a TV signal & no license is needed.

Don't let anyone tell you otherwise :eyebrows:

jantheman
13-03-2011, 09:19
Thanks for the nods chaps....
Checking out the licence website it clearly states that you can watch progs via bbc iplayer and other streamers as long as you dont watch them at the time they are broadcast live. That in itself was a bit of a revelation as I thought this method of watching was listed as requiring a licence.
And I quote....................
'Many TV channels are now available to watch over the internet. If you’re watching programmes on a computer or laptop as they're being shown on TV, then you need a TV Licence. However, you don’t need to be covered by a licence if you’re only using ‘on-demand’ services to watch programmes after they have been shown on TV. So, you need a licence to watch any channel live online, but you wouldn’t need one to use BBC iPlayer to catch up on an episode of a programme you missed, for example.'

HighFidelityGuy
13-03-2011, 10:11
Hitachi used to make a range of ultra slim tunerless LCD TV's as I have the 37" model. They also did 32" and 42". I think they are end of line now as I tried to get a 42" but had to settle for 37 as no one had them any more.

They're a good TV but they only have one HDMI and the speakers are pants. But all TV speakers are pants.

Samsung also did some tuner free panels for business use but they were quite expensive for the spec. :)

pwood
18-03-2011, 00:44
Panasonic do a range of pro plasma panels which tend to better than the retail versions. http://www.pcwb.co.uk/catalogue/item/A0552412 they don't have tuners.

s70rmp
23-04-2011, 14:05
I've bought a few for work they are just called monitors

the largest I bought I think was 55", they are more expensive then a tv but if thats what your looking for then it would work.

Would you be watching Sky on it ?, even if you play the BBC iPlayer on it your ment to have a licence

Reid Malenfant
23-04-2011, 14:17
<snip> even if you play the BBC iPlayer on it your ment to have a licence
The TV licensing website states the following;-

If you watch or record television programmes as they're being shown on TV you must, by law, be covered by a TV Licence, no matter what device you're using.
BBC Iplayer shows programs after they have been broadcast so you don't need a license to watch it ;) If you are watching something online while it's being broadcast then you would need one..

TV Licensing (http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/)

jantheman
23-04-2011, 14:20
I've bought a few for work they are just called monitors

the largest I bought I think was 55", they are more expensive then a tv but if thats what your looking for then it would work.

Would you be watching Sky on it ?, even if you play the BBC iPlayer on it your ment to have a licence
If you are watching live at the same time the program is being broadcast then, yes, you do need a licence BUT if you are watching at a later time then according to the licensing people, you dont need a licence.

Tim
23-04-2011, 16:11
If you are watching live at the same time the program is being broadcast then, yes, you do need a licence BUT if you are watching at a later time then according to the licensing people, you dont need a licence.
+1

even if you play the BBC iPlayer on it your ment to have a licenceThe above statement is wrong, you do not need a licence to watch iPlayer content, unless it's a 'live' broadcast.

EDIT: lol, just read the rest of the post's, seems I am the third person to state this..... "I must read all the posts, before posting myself" :spank:

s70rmp
23-04-2011, 17:38
I honestly thought youd need a licence, but dont you need a licence if you have a radio in the house ?

Reid Malenfant
23-04-2011, 17:44
Not for about the last 40 years no ;)

I have about 5 TVs in this house & none are connected to an aerial, i actually only use two of them at the present & only really one of those. They get used to watch blu rays, DVDs & videos with the very occasional bit of gaming.

No TV license needed here :cool:

s70rmp
23-04-2011, 19:11
what no Sky HD ? :stalks:

Reid Malenfant
23-04-2011, 19:19
Ah no, you'd need a TV license to watch broadcast TV or to record it to your Sky HD box or whatever..

Tim
23-04-2011, 19:46
I have to be honest, I'm starting to wonder why I have a TV licence - I reckon I have watched about 10 hours in the last month and some of that was on DVD :scratch:

Reid Malenfant
23-04-2011, 19:55
I have to be honest, I'm starting to wonder why I have a TV licence - I reckon I have watched about 10 hours in the last month and some of that was on DVD :scratch:
Tim, i realised i no longer needed one when the only thing i watched on TV was the series Flashforward, i'd probably switched on the TV to watch TV for only a few hours in the whole previous year :eyebrows:

At that point i thought it can get stuffed & if i wanted to watch whatever it was i'll wait for the blu ray or DVD & enjoy it when i wanted ;)

I couldn't justify 50p per day for a load of shite & repeats :rolleyes:

I don't miss it because i hardly ever used it anyway, besides which i have more music time or i now have much better quality sound & pictures (1080P) with the possibility of full surround sound with the silver discs. Either way i win...

Junk the TV viewing m8 :eyebrows:

MartinT
23-04-2011, 20:06
Not me - I'm very choosy with what I watch, but I wouldn't be without Sky HD. Series like House, Stargate Universe and - now - Game of Thrones are superb in HD. I only watch recordings as I timeshift them to suit me, so the hard disk technology is perfect.

Tim
23-04-2011, 20:11
I couldn't justify 50p per day for a load of shite & repeats :rolleyes:
You got that right, I think the only thing I would struggle with is Rugby and F1 races, the rest........ keep it. I thought about binning it awhile ago, then went and bought a 42" Plasma :scratch: Mind you, that was more for DVD and bluray.
I lived on a small island a few years back and my satellite dish got struck by lightening, took my landlord 8 months to fix it and do you know what, I didn't miss the TV one bit - all I had was music, beer and mates http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w63/greatgig/thumbsup.gif

MartinT
23-04-2011, 20:32
F1 - thanks for reminding me - couldn't be without that.