PDA

View Full Version : Show me your horns!!

tony trios
12-03-2011, 08:33
I am intrigued to find out how many people have got it!!
Your pictures and stories on how you got to horns would be appreciated.
regards
Tony

John
12-03-2011, 08:35
The nearest I got are compression tweeters on my duel concentric speakers

tony trios
12-03-2011, 08:45
They do look something else I have to say!

John
12-03-2011, 09:11
Lol

tony trios
12-03-2011, 09:31
You will have to excuse my ignorance but, are they rare, had a quick look up on the internet and couldent find much info, and how did you come by them?

SPS
13-03-2011, 13:15
I'm quite into horns and open baffles all DIY,
i've been through quite a few box speakers these last few months and have to say i cant live with reflex bass.. but to be fair low bass tends to be a comprimise.

i've heard lowthers in large front horns, and have used lowthers either in open baffle or back horns for quite a few years.

i'm currently using vitavox compression drivers with fostex horn tweeters, which both really work well together, i'm very pleased.
everything below is in open baffle.

my system is in the lounge and my aim is to get everything as small and as neat as i can get it,.. i cant be doing with anything too big in there.
the overall sound is at a high level.

i'm just making some new 'corner' open baffles, they will house a couple of 18's and a 15" per side. and they should complement the horns, whilst all running off a 2 1/2 watt valve amp, I rarely need much more than a watt of power.. they go loud enough (5 watts fills a large hall at our diy meets)

In my view the amp can make as much difference to the sound as the speakers do. so old 1930-40's production triodes are my prefered choice,
they do deep bass and the top end well, with sweet silky mids, without any hardness or grain, and bags of detail
i will be posting a few pics when the speakers are done

tony trios
14-03-2011, 07:19
Hi Steve, I am afraid all mine is out of the box so to say, I wish I had enough understanding to have created my own system, probably cost me a lot less aswell. I will look forward to your pictures.

MartinT
14-03-2011, 07:22
Can't, but I very nearly bought a pair of Horning Agathon Ultimates as they are quite outstanding at what they do well. The dynamics are simply extraordinary.