PDA

View Full Version : New cartridge for SME serie III

ReffuB
12-03-2011, 07:26
Hello i just become a member here.
My big hobby is vintage hifi, probably like many of you :)

I have a SME Serie III i normally use a Shure V15 or Denon 304 cartridge for this arm, but i really want to try another cartridge for my TT.

It have to be a high compliance cartridge around 20-30 μm/mN

Do you have any suggestion for a cartridge to this SME serie III ?

Sorry for my poor english.

This is a picture of my tonearm.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/ReffuB/Blandet/SMEserieIII.png

ReffuB
13-03-2011, 12:07
No suggestions?

The Grand Wazoo
13-03-2011, 12:12
Hi,
You may like to go to the Welcome area & introduce yourself to the folks here. That;s the best way to find out how friendly this place can be.
Go over there & start a new thread telling us a little bit about yourself, including your real name, the rest of your system & your musical preferences.
That way, you're sure of a warm welcome.

Rare Bird
13-03-2011, 13:01
Hello i just become a member here.
My big hobby is vintage hifi, probably like many of you :)

I have a SME Serie III i normally use a Shure V15 or Denon 304 cartridge for this arm, but i really want to try another cartridge for my TT.

It have to be a high compliance cartridge around 20-30 μm/mN

Do you have any suggestion for a cartridge to this SME serie III ?

Sorry for my poor english.

This is a picture of my tonearm.

is it a 'III' or 'IIIS'? I use one of these on an STD'305' for around a year, use it with Goldring '900SE'..Wasnt fan of the arm tho but was the cartridge.

DSJR
13-03-2011, 13:26
While you still can at a fair price, try to get a Jico SAS stylus for the V15 - they do one for all of them now I understand..

If you want to try good vintage cartridges, the old ADC's can be huge fun with a sweeter presentation to the Shures. Try the 10E IV, 25, 26, 27 and the various XLM's around and about - original styli can still be got in the US for most of these and quite cheaply too in the case of the 26 and 10E models.

More up to date, the AT440MLa and 150ML should be a match made in heaven and of course, the Ortofon OM series (still avaliable from William Thakker's eBay shop) were used extensively with the SME III, to the extent that special "Concorde" style arm-wands were made with the cartridge adapted to fit directly on the arm-pipe, saving a heap of hardware. The OM20 and 30 are still really good but rather expensive now, as Ortofon want their pound of flesh from their customers these days. Other Ortofons of old could consist of the VMS20 and 30 and also the M15e Super and lovely, sweet M20e Super. The M20FL Super may sound rather dry and bland in this arm and really needs something massier like the Jelco 750 (or SME 309 upwards) I think, judging by mine.

bubba45
13-03-2011, 20:38
Weird.
I did a post for this thread before DSJR's and its vanished.
I was going to recomend similar carts but particularly the AT440MLa and the Ortofon VMs 20e MK2.
IME the latter would be the better choice. Both are suited to lower mass arms and both will extract lots of detail, have great imaging and have a lot of life, however the AT440 can be a tad harsh in the high notes and can make listening a tad fatiguing if not careful.
The VMS20e on the other hand is a truly lovely cart. It gives great detail, has superb imaging but is better balance across the high, mid and lower tones. Its warmer and more involving than the AT440 in my experience but the AT440MLa is still a great cart.
The only arm to really tame the AT is a Mission 774 Original but the SME III may do so too if it has the damping trough?

satanfriendly
20-03-2011, 21:58
Not my fave taste, but a Grado Platinum works very well indeed and right on in the compatablity stakes.

Depends on your musical preference as they do tend to make Rock rather softened. Astounding on vocals, classical and jazz though.

If you could ever get hold of one the Goldring G900 IGC just takes the arm in to a different league. Ask Synsei.

synsei
25-03-2011, 01:34
A match made in heaven says I :fingers:

http://i1019.photobucket.com/albums/af316/Sgtgrash/Hifi%20Stuff/160mkII-SMESeriesIII-Goldring900IGC3.jpg

p.s. Please excuse the peeling wallpaper in the background, I will get around to decorating sometime this century... :eyebrows: